Say Hello to the New Ubisoft Swirl

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The next time you boot up a new Ubisoft game, you may be in for a different logo: the company has tweaked the current badge with a more simplistic version of their past “swirl” and updated the font. I think it looks lazier and is clearly an attempt at jumping on the minimalistic design trend, but the change was made in part to reflect their increased focus on “player-centric” titles. I still don’t know what that means, exactly, since the explanations out there seem to state some pretty generic concepts.

The new swirl is an evolution of our existing logo that marks a new era for Ubisoft, one with an increased focus on live and digital games as well as a player-centric approach to creating immersive worlds. Today, we create worlds – worlds that live as video games, comics, movies, TV shows, books, and amusement park rides. Our new logo is minimalist, modern and monochromatic. It’s a window into our worlds, giving a preview of what’s to come by highlighting the artistry that goes into creating them. The swirl and the letter O are both deliberately created to be reminiscent of hand-drawn shapes and represent our human qualities of enthusiasm, curiosity, and the grain de folie that Ubisoft is known for.

4QZtZDN.jpg

Got to give them credit on Star Trek Bridge Crew, I've not started, will play this weekend but the response so far has been amazing.

I was going to make a comment about how their old logo already looked like a toilet swirl from a top-down view, but you already beat me to the punch line.

Thank you kind Sir for them epic LOLs.

Makes sense, gradients and angular letters are looking very 2001 now.

Got to give them credit on Star Trek Bridge Crew, I've not started, will play this weekend but the response so far has been amazing.

please let me know what you think of it. I am on the fence

I really do wish the flat design trend would die already.

Looks abit more like gun barrel rifling which is what I assume they were going for. Trying to kind of copy the James Bond Epic opening logo scene.

Ubi needs to work more on making more than one type of game: fetch-quest filled, open-world everythings.

At least the Far Cry games have good gun fighting mechanics.

The wordmark part is fine, it's clear and concise with a stylistic O (ties to the swirl, without being too loud / crazy) to set it apart.

The swirl is lazy. It's a stroked path with lazy ends. They could do better there.

Although we're in a minimalistic trend at the moment, it's not such a bad trend. Most classic logos are simplistic in nature so they survive trend curves (think Nike or Apple). A logo should be recognizable when it's dropped to 1 color. When I design logos, I usually do them in multiple parts for different media and it has to look good in all of them (flat black, flat white, flat 1 color, flat multicolor [if applicable], and then a depth full color [if applicable]).

I'm just glad we're past the shitshow of design that was the 00's with all of the gradients, loud strokes, caricatures, and drop shadows.

One of the current design trends is the multicolor gradient (two complimentary colors on one gradient). I'm sure you all have seen it somewhere.

Last edited:
Ubi tries fixing its image problem with a "scaled down logo" meant to imply they are getting lean and focused.....after years of colorful bloat :)

Sounds like a type of handjob. Or in the case of the Ubisoft Swirl® pretty much the same handjob you have gotten the last dozen times, leaving you bored and unfulfilled.

please let me know what you think of it. I am on the fence

Just got through all of the training and the first solo mission. If you like Star Trek and have VR you have to get this just for that part of it I think. It's pretty obvious though that MP is where this is at. Also, I can see why this would work well as a conventional game, you look over at consoles a lot and that just makes it feel, well, like Star Trek.

Just got through all of the training and the first solo mission. If you like Star Trek and have VR you have to get this just for that part of it I think. It's pretty obvious though that MP is where this is at. Also, I can see why this would work well as a conventional game, you look over at consoles a lot and that just makes it feel, well, like Star Trek.
Dammit now I need to convince the wife it is worth getting haha

UBI gets a new logo. /Things which happen when someone at a corporation has too much time on their hands and a lack of any true direction.

Back