• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SATA3 PCIe controller cards

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,962
Can anyone recommend one to use with an Intel 510 SSD? I've since discovered the onboard marvel 91XX controller on my motherboard uses a single PCIe lane, so I'd love a reasonable performance PCIe controller card that won't cause any headaches (no driver woes :)

Thanks!
 
Do a search on this forum and find that an ICH10 wiil better any SATA6 add-in card below 500.00.
 
Do a search on this forum and find that an ICH10 wiil better any SATA6 add-in card below 500.00.

I was hoping for a better answer - everything out there DOES look pretty bad. On the flip side, no X58 mobo has proper SATA3, right? I'm not buying into SB just for the controller.

Though I'll admit, overall, having an SSD barely feels faster than my RAID array of 2 raptors. Sure, I boot way faster, but every day stuff...eh.
 
Bummer!

No card's gonna help ya.

I think (and hope :) )you're wrong there...I'm seeing access times double or triple what they should be - I think that the drive has no problems, and that the shitty controller I'm on now - Marvell 9128 - is limited because it's on a PCIe X1 lane..which cannot even do SATA3 speeds. If I had a Sandybridge board, I'd probably be cruising along enjoying ICH10...

:-/ Why didn't Intel support SATA3 in X58 boards? It predates Nehalem, yes?

I'm surprised by the fact that load times in DA2 didn't improve by much...I was hoping for an improvement there. Do game load times not benefit t hat much from SSD speeds?
 
I gave ya the facts and these SATA6 cards have been discussed so many times I'm not up to it anymore.

Do what you think you need to do but I'd suggest doing a little more research first.

Good Luck in your quest! :)
 
:-/ Why didn't Intel support SATA3 in X58 boards? It predates Nehalem, yes?

Not really, esp when you consider the amount of time it takes to design/ test a new chipset architecture. SATA 3 controllers/ drives were still a long way off from the X58 launch.
 
I gave ya the facts and these SATA6 cards have been discussed so many times I'm not up to it anymore.

Do what you think you need to do but I'd suggest doing a little more research first.

Good Luck in your quest! :)

Believe me, I did my research up front and found no SATA3 controllers that looked decent...hence my thread, hoping I'd missed something.

Everything out there looks pretty bad, tbh.
 
yes if you are on the marvel you are bonered. they are terrible! better to be on ICH10r than the marvell controller.
 
lol i meant +1 but the post requires 3 digits so i filled it in...fixed :)
LOL!

Now I'm really screwed-up! :D

I thought you meant that you found the LSI FastPath software for $100.00 and the cheapest I've seen it is $150.00.

The LSI 9260-4i requires that software to obtain the best speeds.

The card plus the software is @ 450.00 - 500.00 depending upon place of purchase.

If you're using SSDs, the card without the software is useless.
 
Can anyone recommend one to use with an Intel 510 SSD? I've since discovered the onboard marvel 91XX controller on my motherboard uses a single PCIe lane, so I'd love a reasonable performance PCIe controller card that won't cause any headaches (no driver woes :)

Thanks!

You will probably get the best performance (without going to an expensive controller which is not worth it for a single drive) using the ICH10R.
 
You will probably get the best performance (without going to an expensive controller which is not worth it for a single drive) using the ICH10R.

i agree. i did say the 9240 owns, because it does. but yes keeping things in perspective you are totally right.
the ICH is definitely better and the marvell sucks.
not worth it for a 9240 for one device.,

if you want something for one device 6gb/s- go with teh highpoint 620

sorry forgot to mention it. it sucks @ raid, but for passthrough it is awesome :)

25 bucks, cant beat it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072
 
lol your right! so many raid cards, so little time...im getting confused! in my rig ive got a 9260, areca 1880IX-12, and an adaptec 6805. on the desk i have the 9265 and a 9211. nowhere in any of these is the 9240, so i have no idea how it worked its way in there...
 
i agree. i did say the 9240 owns, because it does. but yes keeping things in perspective you are totally right.
the ICH is definitely better and the marvell sucks.
not worth it for a 9240 for one device.,

if you want something for one device 6gb/s- go with teh highpoint 620

sorry forgot to mention it. it sucks @ raid, but for passthrough it is awesome :)

25 bucks, cant beat it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

For pass thru, does it enable true 6Gbps connections? Without driver woes?
 
speaking of add in cards, is there a decent internal 4 port sata"2" card that does raid 0 and can handle 4 mechanical HDD

if i was going to go intel i wouldnt need one as the asrock Z68 fatal1ty has 10 sata ports... but the 990FX Fatal1ty board im looking at only has 6 sata3's and i dont want to waste 4 of them on my raid 0 hd capture array and it will have an unused pci-e 4x slot.

atm the array gets about 390MB/s reads/write so the card would need to get close to that.
 
I was looking at the LSI 9260-4i but confused about the 6Gb/s. The documentation says it only uses SATAII connection (thought SATA 3 was 6Gbs) Also per doco based on the controller LSISAS2108 it's SATA speeds are 3Gbs. See below
MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
LSI SAS2108 ROC - Processor.

From Quickstart installation
Note: SATA II is the only type of SATA supported by
these RAID controllers.

Quote from the manual
"The following list describes the SATA II features of the RAID controllers:
 Supports SATA II data transfers of 3Gb/s (for LSISAS2108-based controllers) and
6Gb/s (for LSISAS2208-based controllers)"

So if I'm reading it correctly it doesn't support 6Gb/s SATA
 
yup it will give you 6gb/s sata. at least all the 92xx series do that i am aware of. the 9211 and 9260 and 9265 all do.
 
Called tech support and they confirm it will do 6gb/s for SATA..guess I got confused from what it says in the manual.
 
LOL!

Now I'm really screwed-up! :D

I thought you meant that you found the LSI FastPath software for $100.00 and the cheapest I've seen it is $150.00.

The LSI 9260-4i requires that software to obtain the best speeds.

The card plus the software is @ 450.00 - 500.00 depending upon place of purchase.

If you're using SSDs, the card without the software is useless.

I have seen the fastpath software for $100. newegg had it on openbox for hardware keys. I kept trying to sell mine but nobody bit so I sent it back for a refund since I upgraded to 9265 and they didnt make the key compat with it.
 
No. But you didn't seem to understand that you had to use the ICH10R that you've got on your X58 card as it's part of the X58 chipset, instead of the Marvell controller. Keep in mind what SSDs are about are access times.
 
No. But you didn't seem to understand that you had to use the ICH10R that you've got on your X58 card as it's part of the X58 chipset, instead of the Marvell controller. Keep in mind what SSDs are about are access times.

I very much understood that. I'm looking for an option that actually gives me a full 6Gbps connection. It's currently plugged into the ICH10R, and frankly, access times are BARELY better. Write response times are better; reads are not - they're the same.
 
Back
Top