SATA Port Multiplyer...

xgamer99

n00b
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
17
Hello,

I'm shopping for new hardware for my home server. I've decided on an Atom-based mobo (I don't need much power, it's mostly for data storage), however many of them come with only 2 SATA ports, and only the more expensive ones sport more.

While I am still looking and measuring up different routes, I've been trying to find port multipliers so I can put 3-4 disks on one SATA port, but I can't find any info on these. I'm not even sure if they're a consumer-grade product or more of an industrial/enterprise product.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Port multipliers still do exist but they tend to cost just as much as regular and much much faster SATA storage controllers. Or in some case, getting a port multiplier + Atom mobo doesn't cost that much less than a significantly higher quality and better feature set Atom mobo like this:
$212 - Supermicro MBD-X7SPE-HF-O mITX Intel Atom D510 processor Server Motherboard/CPU Combo

Here's a link to port multipliers if you still want to go that unadvised route:
http://addonics.com/products/host_controller/tutorial_pm.asp

Cheapest port multiplier is around $65.

Storage controller:
$100 - SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 PCI-X (PCI Compatible) 8 Port SATA Controller Card
 
Port multipliers still do exist but they tend to cost just as much as regular and much much faster SATA storage controllers. Or in some case, getting a port multiplier + Atom mobo doesn't cost that much less than a significantly higher quality and better feature set Atom mobo like this:
$212 - Supermicro MBD-X7SPE-HF-O mITX Intel Atom D510 processor Server Motherboard/CPU Combo

Here's a link to port multipliers if you still want to go that unadvised route:
http://addonics.com/products/host_controller/tutorial_pm.asp

Cheapest port multiplier is around $65.

Storage controller:
$100 - SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 PCI-X (PCI Compatible) 8 Port SATA Controller Card

That was kinda my thinking, that they would be expensive to the point that the money saved (if any) isn't worth it. But it's always good to know about the options available to you! Besides, with Atom mobo's, you usually only have one expansion slot, so it's not like you can add SATA controller whenever you run out, especially if you already have plans for said slot. Thus, port multiplier might be the best shot. ;)

That is one awesome site you linked to, btw. Bookmark'd. =D

EDIT: Also, general question: A lot of those port multipliers soom to use an eSATA port as the input, and then branch out to regular SATA ports. See here. Is this so that you can have a case of just HDD's, and then link the HDD case to the server via an eSATA wire, effectively separating them? That's the only reason I can think of for those to be designed like that...
 
Last edited:
That was kinda my thinking, that they would be expensive to the point that the money saved (if any) isn't worth it. But it's always good to know about the options available to you! Besides, with Atom mobo's, you usually only have one expansion slot, so it's not like you can add SATA controller whenever you run out, especially if you already have plans for said slot. Thus, port multiplier might be the best shot. ;)
Not necessarily. One of the main reasons why that Supermicro Atom board is recommended so much is due to the included "IPMI 2.0 with virtual media over LAN and KVM-over-LAN support (you can access the BIOS and install the OS from a remote computer, no keyboard, mouse or monitor needed)" (nitrobass24). Not to mention that it comes with two Intel NICs, a $60 value. Intel NICs are well known for having being far more stable and having significantly faster LAN transfers than most onboard NICs out there. Then there's the 6 SATA ports, PCI-E slot, and Supermicro build quality

The cheapest Intel dual core Atom is $80 shipped. A port multipler is around $65. That's a total of $145 right there. Maybe $160 depending on the port multiplier. IMO, that'ts not a good value at all considering the above advantages of the Supermicro board.

EDIT: Also, general question: A lot of those port multipliers soom to use an eSATA port as the input, and then branch out to regular SATA ports. See here. Is this so that you can have a case of just HDD's, and then link the HDD case to the server via an eSATA wire, effectively separating them? That's the only reason I can think of for those to be designed like that...

Yes.
 
Not necessarily. One of the main reasons why that Supermicro Atom board is recommended so much is due to the included "IPMI 2.0 with virtual media over LAN and KVM-over-LAN support (you can access the BIOS and install the OS from a remote computer, no keyboard, mouse or monitor needed)" (nitrobass24). Not to mention that it comes with two Intel NICs, a $60 value. Intel NICs are well known for having being far more stable and having significantly faster LAN transfers than most onboard NICs out there. Then there's the 6 SATA ports, PCI-E slot, and Supermicro build quality

Yeah, that's true. Problem is that I'm worried about paying that much money for things that I will never use, or won't use in the foreseeable future, such as the two NICs and IPMI. Found a board that's slightly cheaper that doesn't have IPMI, and the one that only has one NIC doesn't have the dual-core Atom. =/

Decisions decisions...
 
Yeah, that's true. Problem is that I'm worried about paying that much money for things that I will never use, or won't use in the foreseeable future, such as the two NICs and IPMI. Found a board that's slightly cheaper that doesn't have IPMI, and the one that only has one NIC doesn't have the dual-core Atom. =/

Decisions decisions...

Which boards have you found?
 
I have some questions, if you are going to use port multipliers, and I have nothing against them, I use them over hardware raid and SAS expanders quite often, but is an atom going to pull the weight of software raid?

I guess my other question is what OS are you going to build this around? That will help alot in the flow of ideas I think.
 
I dislike PM's. Some have compatibility issues with many many controllers. Why not pick up a Dell PERC 5/i or PERC 6/i with BBU on eBay for around $100-150 - taking most of the load off of the Atom and future proofing the system. You can pick up a SAS expander in the future for expandability.

Just my two cents :) - I have a PERC 5/i and get wonderful read/write speeds out of it. Big bang for the buck.
 
Back
Top