• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SATA HDD issues

Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
813
from new egg so i took my old hdd's out and put in the new sata and was attempting to install windows but it wont reconize the hdd. I know my sata works because i have a sata dvd burner hooked up and it reconizes that. So what am i doing wrong here. Do i need to set jumpers on the sata drive just like a normal ide drive cause i see the place for jumpers but theres no plastic jumper in it. And also this pc im installing it in is an older MSI neo-2 s939 agp mobo and the sata drive is a new model http://http://www.newegg.com/Product...82E16822136320 it should work with my computer right ? I mean i know it wont run a 3.0gb/s but it should still work from what i was told. Its been a long time since i messed around with an older system like this and i dont remember if i had to set jumpers on satas or not lol been too long since my last build. So help me out please lol
 
In the BIOs, see if your mobo has SATA mode set to AHCI or IDE?
 
Ive never seen that option before and ive built quite a few rigs but i will check again. So im assuming i do need to set the jumper setting
 
Ive never seen that option before and ive built quite a few rigs but i will check again. So im assuming i do need to set the jumper setting

There's no jumper setting. It's a BIOs settings and.or OS setting. What OS are you using BTW?
 
SATA doesn't use jumper settings. I'd like to say you have an older PC.
If you're trying to install XP it won't find the drives because it needs SATA drivers on older systems. If you were installing Windows Vista or 7 you wouldn't need the SATA drivers.
To get around this you need to switch from native AHCI to IDE operation when using sata drives. This can be done in the BIOS under the controller settings.
 
Yea im using XP but i think imma get q copy of windows 7 soon. But for now i will have to edit that setting in my bios. And like i said, the mobo im using is a MSI-Neo 2 S939 AGP so it a few years old. The reason why im using this older rig is because my apartment gotten broken into ane robber and of course they took my nice ass Phenom II x4 black edition based system. God' I really likes that computer. So just to make sure i got it right can you tell me exactly what to do to change thay bios setting ?
 
So just to make sure i got it right can you tell me exactly what to do to change thay bios setting ?

Simplest and easiest way: In BIOs, set SATA mode to IDE. Read your mobo's manual to find out where that SATA mode setting is.
 
well I read the whole manual for my mobo which is a MSI Neo2-F K8T800pro S939, and i cant find anything about switching the sata option ot AHCI or IDE, and I cant find it in my bios anywhere. So I'm starting to think that this old of a MOBO wont let me boot from a SATA drive. Any thoughts ?
 
well I read the whole manual for my mobo which is a MSI Neo2-F K8T800pro S939, and i cant find anything about switching the sata option ot AHCI or IDE, and I cant find it in my bios anywhere. So I'm starting to think that this old of a MOBO wont let me boot from a SATA drive. Any thoughts ?

Have you tried actually exploring the BIOs?
 
Last edited:
ok, so I just installed windows on a normal IDE drive and want to use my 500GB SATA as just a storage drive, but it still wont reconize, but apparently i do need to use a jumper on it since my MOBO is older, so how exactly am I to place to the jumper to make sure its in the right mode ?
 
There's one way you can install the jumper on a SATA drive man.
 
Yea i got the jumper installed correctly, cause now during put up it finds the WD500GB SATA, but even tho i can see the drive being reconized in the BIOS/Boot up Screen, its still now showing up in my computer. I only see my two 80GB IDE Drives. So what am i doing wrong now
 
I got it to work, thanks for the help bro, i was bouts to get pissed and just send the drive back lol
 
Back
Top