SATA drives went missing?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I've been running my computer for quite a while, but when I tried to boot it up today it hung at the BIOS for a while, then when the "Loading OS" message came up it threw up an error. I rebooted and noticed that in the information it didn't recognise any of my hard drives, only my DVD drive.

I went into the BIOS, played around a bit, no luck. Rebooted again, turned my overclock completely off and reset to "optimised defaults", still no luck. So I opened the case and checked all the cables, still no luck. Finally I unplugged all the SATA cables and the replugged just 2 drives in (a Samsung HD103SJ and the Caviar Black) and it recognised the 2 drives and booted fine, shut it down and plugged in the other drives and plugged the DVD drive back in and now it appears to be working fine.

Any idea what might cause this? Maybe the overclock? Switching the OC off didn't fix the problem though. Is there maybe something wrong with my mobo?

System...
i7 750 @ 4.0GHz (20x200MHz on a Megahalems cooler)
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
8GB of Gskill 1600MHz CL9 ripjaws (4 x 2gb sticks)
CoolerMaster 600W SilentProM
MSI 768mb GTX460
Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard
1TB WD Caviar black as the main OS drives
2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJs
500GB Seagate Barracuda

Did it happen only once?
update your mobo bios

Happened again, looks like it might be the 500gb Seagate drive, this time the seagate and the DVD drive wont appear (last time it was everything but the DVD drive). I updated the BIOS a few months ago, will check to see if there's anything newer available.

My computer will occasionally not recognize a drive too and I'll have to reboot...

Yeah, but even after several reboots and checking the BIOS and cables this wasn't fixing itself. I had to unplug the drives to isolate the Seagate as the problem.

After some googling I see this is a common problem with Seagates of this era. Its annoying as hell because I've lost all my data, and the fix for it looks fiddly and has a high chance of bricking the drive... here...

I dont really care about the drive itself, it'd just be nice to get my data back. Stupid Seagate.

Stupid Seagate.

I've pretty much always thought that. People started buying them because they were free/near free after rebates for a while and because they had the 5 year warranty for a while. Not because they were ever good drives.

Back