sas hardware raid card?

sdadept

Limp Gawd
I got a user server off of ebay that has this backplane: SAS826EL1 2x SAS connectors

Anyone recommend a hardware raid card I could use with this? The server has 12 3.5 slots which I plan to put 4 8tb sata drives in with raid 5 then 6 1tb ssd's in raid 1+0 and finally 2 512gb ssd's in raid 1 for boot drive. So I need a card powerful enough to handle all that and has 2 sas connectors.

recommendations?

While any modern LSI card (or even Areca) will accommodate that, the backplane you have unfortunately is the first generation (3gbit) that Supermicro offered. It has issues with disks larger than 2TB, so I'd recommend against using 8TB drives.

While any modern LSI card (or even Areca) will accommodate that, the backplane you have unfortunately is the first generation (3gbit) that Supermicro offered. It has issues with disks larger than 2TB, so I'd recommend against using 8TB drives.

shoot, didn't realize that. Any idea if I could swap out the backplane? It would almost be worth it to get the higher throughput on the bigger drives.

Yes, they can be swapped out. Just look for one of the "SAS2" models on eBay.

Great I will do that. This is the server I purchased on Ebay. Its a supermicro 2u Supermicro 2U Server X9DRI-LN4F+ 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6ghz 16 Cores 192gb 12x Trays. If I can get some good drives on this it will work great as a VM host.

With that server, any recommendations on a new backplane? I searched on ebay and there are a lot of different backplanes that come up with SAS2. I narrowed it down to those that support super micro but that still leaves many.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Same model as yours, just with a "2" added: SAS2-826EL1

There's one on eBay for $65.

you sir, are the man. Didn't think of doing that. I will report back on my success or failure. :)

It's not too hard to swap. Remove all drives and fans, then disconnect the cables, and undo some screws. The backplanes are quite sturdy. Might take you 30 minutes, but you should be fine.

Back