Sapphire nitro+ rx580 SE , crashes under load etc.

hardgfg

n00b
Hi,

got the card that initially had no signal at all.LIghts and fans were working. After installing it 2-3 times with no picture i let it sit. The next day i isntalled it and got normal signal etc, installed drivers all good.

Now getting in Adrenalin go to tune checking things and try for example to change a value on clocks or voltages or anything else. clicking apply i get a system freeze either gray or black screen.(try 2-3 times).

I decided not to change anything in adrenalin and jsut run a benchmark, in which the card crashed and i got a system restart. Gave it ano ther try and had the same result , and on top of it i suddenly didnt have signal again.

The next day i did try to run a test tserver for the vram chips using my igpu, since the card didnt not give any signal again. After messing around the card gave signal again i run the test and the vram chips are fine(python test, ppl told me to run tserver for better).

In short the card crashes under load, and sometimes gives signal like right now, and no signal if i run 2-3 benchmarks.

Cold solder join in the gpu bga, or some vrm?

Update, It seems the card is crashing even with out any load. So I start the pc in windows open adrenalin so I see the temp and leave it there. After few mins the pc shuts off and restarts. This continues and it gets more frequent it seems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-21-14-41-45-689_com.discord.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-21-14-41-45-689_com.discord.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Probably a BGA failure of some kind, but another possibility is something like a faulty bootstrap capacitor which is causing one of the phases to run super hot.

You'd check for that with a thermal camera, freeze spray, etc. If you've got one phase that's way hotter than the others, troubleshoot that phase's boostrap circuit. If not... do you have a BGA rework machine?

BGA failure includes GPU also the memory chips correct?I can start the card with a small cooler and check for faulty cap as you say. NO BGA rework need to visit shops etc,

BGA failure includes GPU also the memory chips correct?I can start the card with a small cooler and check for faulty cap as you say. NO BGA rework need to visit shops etc,
Yes. BGA = ball grid array. This is the type of solder technology that's used to attach the GPU and memory chips, with a grid of tiny solder balls on the underside. It's pretty common in older electronics for the solder joints to crack, or pull the pads off of the board, and the behavior you're seeing is typical of that type of failure.

I did the test for the memory, but ppl suggest i should do the Tserver test which will be more reliable.Do you know it?

What test did you do? Just measuring the resistance to ground on the coils?

The software tests such as using TSserver are more relevant for a card that sorta-kinda works.

Well the card works, since I can complete the test. I did the python test dmgg. What resistance should I have on the coils?

Well the card works, since I can complete the test. I did the python test dmgg. What resistance should I have on the coils?
I'd imagine resistance on the coils should be around 30 ohms, but I can't remember ever having measured a 500 series card. I've got one at home I can check later, if you need me to.

My friend any measurement you can take on coils or mosfets 12v etc.. Would be helpful for me. If you have the time, I em not in a hurry. Thank you.

Last edited:
What test did you do? Just measuring the resistance to ground on the coils?

The software tests such as using TSserver are more relevant for a card that sorta-kinda works.
Id did the tserver test.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 01-29-24 at 02.47 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 01-29-24 at 02.47 PM.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back