Sapphire HD7970 Toxic 6GB

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
*Update*: http://vr-zone.com/articles/sapphir...cebit-might-be-the-next-toxic-card/15149.html

Sapphire is expecting a GPU core clock of 1200MHz or more when these cards eventually appear in retail.

Source: http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012-03/sapphires-radeon-7970-toxic-hat-6-gb-speicher/
Specs:
Core: 1.1Ghz
Memory: 6Ghz

Overclock switch
Core: 1.15Ghz
Memory: 6Ghz

Google translation:
Dual BIOS with greatly increased speeds
Sapphire Radeon 7970 Toxic has 6 GB of memory

Sapphire Exhibit at CeBIT in addition to various types of OC AMD's Radeon HD 7900 and 7800, the new first family of graphics cards Radeon HD 7970 Toxic flagship of. Sitting on the PCB, divided into front and back, a total of 6 gigabytes of graphics memory.

Already in default of its dual-BIOS, the card has a GPU clock of 1,100 MHz. If one of the order of the card-mounted switch, the clock rate rises to 1,150 MHz. Remember, the standard clock of the Radeon HD 7970 is 925 MHz. Also on the memory clock has been turned, he is effectively 6 GHz (default: 5500 MHz). The memory chips on the back are provided for cooling with a large heat spreader.

In addition to the absolute high-end uses the Sapphire also a little more thoughtful on the price enthusiast market with PC versions of the Radeon HD 7970, 7950, 7870 and 7850th The cooler of the card are each equipped with two fans and for themselves - apart from the size - relatively similar. The Radeon 7970 OC has a special feature, as well as the Toxic version, a dual-BIOS, which allows to adjust the GPU clock to 950 or 1,000 MHz.

31622532.jpg

Last edited:
BEAST! Too bad I can't read German :)

Beautiful card, though I wonder what they will charge for it..

come on AMD, sort your OpenCL driver out so i can use this for blender/cycles renders!

A switch to raise the core clock 50mHz? Srsly? Why bother?

To squeeze in 6GB, VRAM chips are mounted on both top and bottom side of the PCB.

Ugh.. Wish it had rear exhaust instead of all-over-inside-the-case-exhaust, but finally the 6GB version, so waiting for availability!

A switch to raise the core clock 50mHz? Srsly? Why bother?
They are leaving further overclocking up to the user. You are getting a 1.15Ghz factory overclocked card with full warranty coverage.

How many displayport ports? If it's less than three then this is a total waste of money. The whole point of the extra memory is for eyefinity.

I wish people and the vendor would quit saying that. The fact is that you can't. There are no monitors that will daisychain and there are no MST 1.2 hubs. It's been marketing BS for years with no truth in reality.

you can daisy-chain displayports.

I wish people and the vendor would quit saying that. The fact is that you can't. There are no monitors that will daisychain and there are no MST 1.2 hubs. It's been marketing BS for years with no truth in reality.

Fact is, I just wish companies would release the hubs and make displays with DP that weren't insanely priced.

From the picture it looks like it has only 1 DVI port, possibly space for 3 DP Ports. Still, wish it just had 6 miniDP Ports like the 5870 eyefinity6 edition.

The original leaked documents on the Toxic was 2 mini-DP, 1 HDMI, 1 single link DVI. But then again, that indicated 3GB instead of 6GB.

From the picture it looks like it has only 1 DVI port, possibly space for 3 DP Ports. Still, wish it just had 6 miniDP Ports like the 5870 eyefinity6 edition.

The original leaked documents on the Toxic was 2 mini-DP, 1 HDMI, 1 single link DVI. But then again, that indicated 3GB instead of 6GB.

Yeah... Makes no sense to me considering the intended uses by the people who would actually be interested in this card.

Looks like a stupid port setup, WTF would you need HDMI and single link DVI? GPGPU compute maybe, but even that's a stretch. Just stupid considering the thing's probable price.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other vendor looking to offer 6gb.

Maybe it's just meant to appeal to those who are like, "BF3 AT 1080P REQUIRES 3GB+ VRAM LOLOL"

:p

This card is gonna have six mini displayports...vega was using a developer test mule a month ago and it had six dps.

You can pretty much tell from the pictures, there aren't. Looks like a dvi, hdmi, and 2x Display. Or so it seems.

Those pictures are useless...comon people do you really thing AMD is stupid enough to sanction a 6gb eyefinity 6 card that only offers the same display outputs as the reference card? Give me a break...obviously those pictures are wrong.

Anyway, it doesnt matter for me...I already got my cuii and will be jumping ship to kepler when it releases in ten years.

Who says AMD needs to sanction a 6GB card? Any partner can just build one with 2x as much ram...

And also, it's never been officially called "Eyefinity 6"

I wonder how big the market is for something like this. I mean really, how many people were dissatisfied with 3GB that they're releasing 6GB!?!?

Not that I'd complain if you gave me one... :p

So does this change anything with the water cooled one, or is that thing still coming in at 1.35 GHz?

BEAST! Too bad I can't read German :)

Beautiful card, though I wonder what they will charge for it..

Google Translate can certainly read German. :)

Those pictures are useless...comon people do you really thing AMD is stupid enough to sanction a 6gb eyefinity 6 card that only offers the same display outputs as the reference card? Give me a break...obviously those pictures are wrong.

Anyway, it doesnt matter for me...I already got my cuii and will be jumping ship to kepler when it releases in ten years.

Still not a straight-on shot of the back, but from this shot it's almost certainly 2 mini DP, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI.

edit: whoops, wrong model in the photo. ignore me for I am dum.

Don't think the 6GB model is for everybody, but people with 5 screens, and 6GB for gpgpu apps is REALLY nice...

Very impressive, though I'm guessing the price will be equally "impressive". :(

OP, please change your original post picture. That is a picture of the 7970 oc edition, not the toxic.

Thanks

Bring on the integrated fluid cooling already! With a cooling system that large, you're not going to be able to crossfire it.

Mind you, I want the x2 or the 7990 version of that card.

Very impressive, though I'm guessing the price will be equally "impressive". :(

Unfortunately just the price of the extra 3GB, miniDP doggles, backplate/ram heatsink, and the fact this is a premium product will add substantially to the already high price of a vanilla 7970.

Which is why this card won't be for most people, it'll be expensive, and most don't need 6GB...

Holy fucking unneeded batman!
At least single card is, in CF/CFx I could imagine these beasts being wonderful for Eyefinity

Holy fucking unneeded batman!
At least single card is, in CF/CFx I could imagine these beasts being wonderful for Eyefinity
So, unneeded unless you need it?

I'm looking for this to handle my 3x Eyefinity + HD3D setup, and I can't wait!

Sapphire is expecting a GPU core clock of 1200MHz or more when these cards eventually appear in retail.

Getting a stable 1100mhz out of 7970's shouldn't be an issue but 1200mhz might be another story. I wonder how many chips will make the cut-off and if too few, will they keep it at 1100/1150 or just up the price for the limited chips that can run 1200mhz. Fair to say there won't be much OCing headroom left after 1200, on air at least. Still boss-mode.

So, unneeded unless you need it?

I'm looking for this to handle my 3x Eyefinity + HD3D setup, and I can't wait!

This.

There is only one card in the 7xxx series right now that can support 3+ 120hz displays with the same output type (dp), and that card is a monstrosity but at least it exists.

I've been waiting forever for Sapphires 78xx or 79xx cards that support 3+ displayports so that I can run a 3 display eyefinity setup in 120hz.

Take my money. I want two of this.

It's a start...

To make full use of the 6GB, you'll really need 4 of those matched to 5 (or 6 depending on use) displays. But you may get vram limited again.. ;)

Though, I am starting with only 1 myself unfortunately... at least 1 more a bit later

Back