Sapphire HD5870 VaporX edition

ordered it from xpcgear, but they said it's back ordered until mid november :(

Egg just bumped up the price by 10 bucks. And the card isn't even out yet?

I would have liked them to push that video card harder with their overclocks.
There was somebody on the egg who claimed 1000 core an 1450 memory on their Vapor-x 5870. If those are furmark stable numbers, I'd be drooling. Heck I'd settle for 1000/1400 if it can do so without sounding like a vacuum cleaner. ^_^

I am worried about the frame buffer size though. As apparently Elite Bastards ran into some memory bottlenecking in a few games at 2560x1600 with 8xaa.

Does anyone know how good the Vapor-X cards works in crossfire?
The temps will be cooler than with stock HD5870 cards, right?
Because the Vapor-X solution is quite different than the stock solution.. for example these things: the Vapor-X dumps all the hot air straight into the case, and it doesn't have the air intake on the front (the red batman thingies).
But will the temps be lower with vapor-x (crossfire) even when it have these 2 major disadvantages?

Can someone answer please so i don't need to start a new thread........

I have two 4890 Toxic version cards in my Antec 1200.

For my purposes they work phenomenally. I run a significant overclack (4.0 Ghz) and haven't had temperature issues. I think the aftermarket cooling solution is a huge benefit, not a burden, to crossfiring two video cards.

Does anyone know how good the Vapor-X cards works in crossfire?
The temps will be cooler than with stock HD5870 cards, right?
Because the Vapor-X solution is quite different than the stock solution.. for example these things: the Vapor-X dumps all the hot air straight into the case, and it doesn't have the air intake on the front (the red batman thingies).
But will the temps be lower with vapor-x (crossfire) even when it have these 2 major disadvantages?

Can someone answer please so i don't need to start a new thread........

The Vapor-X 5870 video card runs 10C cooler under load according to the Elite Bastards review. Try reading a little :)

Ok so does anybody have this card? When is it due for release?

Last edited:
I think I like the fully enclosed look of the reference cooler better. Look cleaner IMO.

Agreed. I don't like the looks of this card at all. I'm glad I didn't get it, I am super happy with my Asus "Vanilla" 5870. I think mine looks much cleaner.

The Vapor-X 5870 video card runs 10C cooler under load according to the Elite Bastards review. Try reading a little :)

Ok so does anybody have this card? When is it due for release?

Or maybe you try to read a little? :)
I was talking about cooling performance in crossfire mode. Not in singlecard mode..

Well I guess I'll have to wait on any word for 5850 as the 5870 is way out of my budget.

Of all 50 million reviews there isn't a single review which have tested the 5870 vapor-x in crossfire, i just don't get it..

Of all 50 million reviews there isn't a single review which have tested the 5870 vapor-x in crossfire, i just don't get it..

Harder to get two of these, especially since they're all sold out and no 5870's available at all.

You will have to OC this card to the max to see a performance increase over the reference card. 850 vs 870. Both cards can reach 1000, it's just that the Vapor X can reach it quieter and cooler.

Harder to get two of these, especially since they're all sold out and no 5870's available at all.

You will have to OC this card to the max to see a performance increase over the reference card. 850 vs 870. Both cards can reach 1000, it's just that the Vapor X can reach it quieter and cooler.

It should be more stable, due to the cooler keeping it cooler.

After lots of reviews searching i finally found a test where they tested 2 HD5870 Vapor-X cards in crossfire: http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/sapphire_hd5870_vaporx/index.php?p=3

"Adding in a second card beneath it immediately increased the Vapor-X idle temps by 10C. Load temperatures matched that of the second, airflow unrestricted card as both soared into the 90C range"

Just what i was afraid of, you should not run these Vapor-X cards in Crossfire.
I'll pass the Vapor-X card, since i want to have 2 HD5870's. I prefer the reference HD5870 if you are going to have an crossfire configuration.

What's amazing though is that somehow ATI has managed to make power drain with two crossfire 5xxx at idle only about 25-30w more one card.

After lots of reviews searching i finally found a test where they tested 2 HD5870 Vapor-X cards in crossfire: http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/sapphire_hd5870_vaporx/index.php?p=3

"Adding in a second card beneath it immediately increased the Vapor-X idle temps by 10C. Load temperatures matched that of the second, airflow unrestricted card as both soared into the 90C range"

Just what i was afraid of, you should not run these Vapor-X cards in Crossfire.
I'll pass the Vapor-X card, since i want to have 2 HD5870's. I prefer the reference HD5870 if you are going to have an crossfire configuration.

I think you should re-read the review you found; the crossfire configuration they reviewed is one Vapor-X and one reference card, with the reference card 'lower' and immediately adjacent to the Vapor-X, thus blocking the airflow.

The reviewer states that despite this airflow restriction the Vapor-X maintained the same temperatures as the unrestricted reference card, "showing the superior performance of the Vapor-X design even while short of air flow."

It would be more helpful if they reversed the setup and showed what temps were as a result, but they did not.

I think you should re-read the review you found; the crossfire configuration they reviewed is one Vapor-X and one reference card, with the reference card 'lower' and immediately adjacent to the Vapor-X, thus blocking the airflow.

The reviewer states that despite this airflow restriction the Vapor-X maintained the same temperatures as the unrestricted reference card, "showing the superior performance of the Vapor-X design even while short of air flow."

It would be more helpful if they reversed the setup and showed what temps were as a result, but they did not.

Well it doesn't really matter.
Because the same thing will happen when there is 2 Vapor-X cards.
90C is unacceptable no matter what.

Well it doesn't really matter.
Because the same thing will happen when there is 2 Vapor-X cards.
90C is unacceptable no matter what.

I could be wrong but if you install two vapor X the bottom card would run cooler then the reference they used and should effect the upper cards temps as well. 90C does seem warm but to be expected when they are sandwiched like that.

indeed! note my user name :p
seriously though, i've been watching for a week now on multiple sites, and these are the first i've come across, with the exception of Ebay, where they are going for between 580 and 600 bucks. It seems that any 5870 dosen't last for long especially these, Though i could have got the xfx 5870 on newegg with the batmobile cooler, But the vapor cools better, and looks better.

indeed! note my user name :p
seriously though, i've been watching for a week now on multiple sites, and these are the first i've come across, with the exception of Ebay, where they are going for between 580 and 600 bucks. It seems that any 5870 dosen't last for long especially these, Though i could have got the xfx 5870 on newegg with the batmobile cooler, But the vapor cools better, and looks better.
lol, how appropriate :)
my order at xpcgear is still on backorder
$385 with 90 days same as cash via billmelater

I was interested in this card initially but it never came in stock, or I never caught it in stock at Newegg, and $500 is just not worth it for a 5870. You can buy a 5970 for just $100 more.

Back