Sapphire HD 5870 $215 AR + FS

I did have a 4870 1gb, but gave it to my lil brother and using a 9800GT now. Tempted to get this, but something keeps telling me to wait. :(

It's an excellent deal. I paid $214.99 for my Gigabyte 6870 & it's close to the 5870. I would hold off. I had a HIS 4870 1GB like you & it's still a very good card. I wanted a 6870 for my new build & sold my 4870. If you're think about the 69xx series, then wait.

That's a hot deal. But I'm holding off on buying any new cards until the 6900 series comes out.

That's a hot deal. But I'm holding off on buying any new cards until the 6900 series comes out.

Me too. I'm tempted by the feature set and efficiency of the 6870 but it doesn't seem like an economically sound choice right now especially faced with these kinds of deals on older hardware that performs better.

Picked one up as well, thanks to the OP for this deal.

My recent VGA history was HD6870 (which was faulty), returned it and was convinced that I was going GTX 580. Instead I decided to spend close to nothing on this deal, and wait for 28nm GPUs arrive in 2011, this will be fine during the wait and make a great HTPC card for GTA IV as well, when it gets replaced.

It's a good deal. I paid right at $300 for a replacement 5870 just over a month ago... and it was a "screamin" deal then with all the others still in the $350~385+ range. As it is.. with the new AMD cards coming out very soon I would have liked to have waited. But the card in my system farted out on me and I needed a replacement knowing that the RMA was going to take up to a month. I was not happy about it.. but at least the company was honest and had good communication. Anyway... The good news is I kept both the new card and the replacement. I had originally planned on selling one after the RMA arrived. But could not resist trying xfire first. :D Two of these in xfire will run any game I currently play... which includes titles like Metro 2033, BFBC2, CODMWF, etc. at 1920x1200 with all the eye candy turned up easily. I don't even OC them. My one current driver qualm is that if you activate AMD Overdrive at all the GPU's will idle at 400Mhz instead of dropping to 125Mhz like they normally do for web browsing and such.

Bottom line...For a comparatively long in the tooth GPU this one still gets the job done nicely. It runs comparatively cool/quiet and draws a decently low amount of wattage. Heck, I still think the 5770's are a steal a $100 each after MIR. I bought a pair of these yesterday for my nephews: HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity to replace their 9600GSO's. Having also bought them both copies of Fallout NV I wanted them to be able to play with decent visuals on their 22" LCD's. Wish I could have afforded these 5870's for them.

Took awhile but it's been sold out for about an hour now. I never did find a review of this card (more specifically it's cooler) . I could only find the Vapor-X and batmobile coolers. Congrats to those who grabbed one, that was a great deal.

I just bit!
Take $30 bucks off thanks to a Newegg credit and that's not to shabby at $185 after rebate.

Hmmm, this or wait on a deal on the 470? This will replace a 9800gt for 19x10 resolution. I'm looking to play Just Cause 2, Diablo, maybe other RPGs.

Hmmm, this or wait on a deal on the 470? This will replace a 9800gt for 19x10 resolution. I'm looking to play Just Cause 2, Diablo, maybe other RPGs.

Who knows? I am still running my 8800gt and I am dragging ass in most everything @ 1920.

It has been a phenomenal card, probably the best card I have owned but I had already decided to upgrade and the 6870 was what I was going to pick up but I bit on this instead.

So I decided because;
It is in my price range, (I limit myself to about $200 for video cards when I do buy them).
I think I will get a solid two years out of it the way I game, often but I am no psychotic.
I have the cash leftover from something else, (no bitching from the wife).
It beats the card I was going to buy.
I don't think I can get noticeably better performance in the next six months for $100 more and comparable products will be within +-$25 dollars for the same time period. This is a guess but I think it is a solid guess.

I still hesitated but after thinking about it, it fit all the criteria I had come up with for a new card so I made the order. I know there will be faster cards in the 6900 series out Q1 2011 but I am not willing to pay $300+, (and I think they will all be there) and I don't think they will push the 470's, 480's or 6800's lower than what I just paid or in the case of the 480's within $100, so why wait?

Anyway, my faulty logic for making this purchase over the other options.

I am really tempted.

There shouldn't be any issues Crossfiring this with my ASUS EAH5870, right?

I've done many a SLI setup, but this would be my first CX setup. I'm am 99% this is fine, but just want to make sure.

Crap. I was content on waiting another week to see what was what with the 570's, but now I'm pulling my hair out. :p

So people who bit the first time, how much of an OC are you getting?

i placed my order 6 days ago, and still havent received it. ups tracking says i should get it tomorrow. last time i ordered from newegg with ground shipping was those $60 2TB F4s, and i got them in 4 days. not sure why this card is taking a whole week. :confused:

because people don't work during thanksgiving :p
most ordered these will be getting them starting tomorrow

Mine just got delivered about an hour ago, but I'm in another zipcode (away from home).
"REAR DOOR", that doesn't look good at all...

because people don't work during thanksgiving :p
most ordered these will be getting them starting tomorrow

you may have a point there... those of us with no jobs or school tend to forget things like holidays. :D

I bit. $215 for a 5870 is too good to pass up when it easily out-performs cards similarly priced (6870, GTX 470). Can't wait to get my Eyefinity Setup up and running!

Just wanted to give a little feedback after receiving my card.

I was hearing a lot about poor over clocking, so I wasn't expecting much. However I was able to get a 900/ 1300 overclock on this board, which had me quite surprised. I've only tested it in Cyrsis though (max settings/ 8xAA/ 1920x1200 and it ran quite good).
The cards temps at idle are 48*C at 45% fan speed. At load the card hasn't passed 73*C, but I can't remember the fan speed, it was below 60% though.
I'm a little concerned about the idle temp, but frankly it's well within acceptable limits. I actually reapplied new thermal paste which brought the idle temp down from 51*C.

The only real con I have is that the fan seems to squeal a tad bit when running at medium high speeds. I'll have to look into that some more.

All in all for $185 out of pocket I'm quite pleased.

What coupon code did you use to get this card for $185???:confused::confused:

I was hearing a lot about poor over clocking, so I wasn't expecting much. However I was able to get a 900/ 1300 overclock on this board, which had me quite surprised. I've only tested it in Cyrsis though (max settings/ 8xAA/ 1920x1200 and it ran quite good).
The cards temps at idle are 48*C at 45% fan speed. At load the card hasn't passed 73*C, but I can't remember the fan speed, it was below 60% though.
I'm a little concerned about the idle temp, but frankly it's well within acceptable limits. I actually reapplied new thermal paste which brought the idle temp down from 51*C.

The only real con I have is that the fan seems to squeal a tad bit when running at medium high speeds. I'll have to look into that some more.

those are the max allowable OC without flashing the bios. it probably has more potential if you flash it. the 5850 vapor-x i exchanged for this had the same max clocks without flashing, but came stock at 735/1050 instead of 850/1200 and easily OC'd to 850/1200. youd expect the 5870 to OC by about 100/200 too instead of 50/100. im not sure if i want to flash my card though since its fast enough as it is.

What coupon code did you use to get this card for $185???:confused::confused:

he had a $30 newegg credit, probably from a mistake newegg made.

Ekuest is right, I cheated and had a $30 credit.
While doing a little research I found out that the squealing is actually coil whine. Glad to know there is a fix for that if I wanted, but right now it isn't to bad.

I think I'll stay at 900/1300 for now as I can't alter the voltage and frankly I'm quite surprised it made it to this point. So instead of messing with flashing to gain minimal FPS increase, I'll just be content with where it is now.

I've had about the same experiences with it as well, though I haven't OC'ed yet. Right now I'm idling at 48C with the fan speed at 30% (it's on the cold side in my apartment). The highest I've seen it get is right arout 72-73C like you've said, and that was while running RTHDRIBl for a good half hour. This card is much quieter (I don't hear it over the other fans in my system) than my old 8800GTS. So, it seems that the cooling solution is uses is pretty effective. In a few weeks when I have some free time I might sit down and see what I can do with overclocking it.

Overall I'm very pleased with this card. I'm seen a big boost in performance in games even with my aging rig. The next step for me is to upgrade my CPU/Mobo/RAM once I have the cash.

I've got mine on right now, but it's in a spare rig (1280x1024) for the moment.
Same idle temps as you guys. Fan is impressive, better than my 4870 which uses a similar design.

Inaudible under 50%, at 50% it's audible but non-intrusive, 60% or higher and it's intrusive.
I've only played l4d2 at the low res, but obviously the fan wasn't an issue.

Back