Sandy good enough?

Hooy

Limp Gawd
Is there ANY legitimate reason for an Ivy or Haswell cpu over a 2500k for general use and moderate gaming? I'm building a PC for my cousin who'll only be running off a single 1080p display, so I'm wondering if I'm missing anything from the Ivy/Haswell CPU's.

As far as I understand, there's a minimal performance bump between each generation.

For gaming, you will get more putting the money into a better video card over a newer gen cpu.

I'm in the same boat. Reading around the progression from 2500k to 3570k to 4760k is approximately a 5 to 10% jump. Like you mentioned, you only really lose out on PCIE 3.0 but at 1080p, there's nothing to lose. I'd say the biggest drawback with going the route of SB is socket compatibility with the 5th gen Core processors. I suspect Intel might follow the same progression as they did with 2nd and 3rd gen core on socket 1155 and that 4th and 5th gen will be on socket 1150. Personally, I went with a SB build instead of Haswell knowing i'd save a few bucks that could be put elsewhere.

im still running baller on an i5-750 that is oc'd to 3.8ghz. its all about the GPU.

Sandy is definitely good enough. My 2500k and single 6870 do work. I had a crossfire setup and was able to run everything I played maxed out at 1080p. Your GPU will have the biggest impact on FPS. My 2500k is even clocked down to 4.2ghz now and it still works great. Save the money and wait until the 5th gen since maybe by then it might be worth while to upgrade.

Absolutely no reason to go with ivy or hasbeen over sandy. The 2500k is still a very good cpu.

If only I could post on the classifieds! Need a bunch of parts now lol.

Glad you guys agree that sandy is plenty! Now to find a nice 7870 or 660ti to put in the budget build

My 2500k still kicking it at 4.5GHz 24/7.

There's no need for anything more.

Sandy at 4.5 to 5 ghz is amazing, don't let anyone fool ya. Hell, a 2500K sandy 4c/4t is plenty.

If you already have SB its fine. If you're buying everything it would be silly to go SB over IB or Haswell unless you're getting a killer deal.

If its costing you much more to get IB or Haswell then get SB.
Otherwise, go for Haswell as its the newer socket.

There are a few games that are CPU limited like Assassins Creed III, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
Dont spend much more trying to go faster than SB.

Sandy is definitely a good setup, but if you are buying new, you might as well buy the newer socket. Used or if you get one of those awesome microcenter deals than its definitely worth it.

I just moved to Haswell from Sandy, but it wasn't because Sandy wasn't fast enough. I wanted a newer chipset since I was on P67 and Newegg had $80-$100 off Haswell combos. I figured the after selling my old gear, it would be about the same as buying a Z77 board except I wouldn't be on a EOL socket.

Yup, I'm trying to buy used for a budget build! GTX 760 ordered to pair with!!

If you already have SB its fine. If you're buying everything it would be silly to go SB over IB or Haswell unless you're getting a killer deal.

Pretty much. If you already have Sandy or can find it really cheap, sure. But Haswell *is* slightly better performing (even accounting for the more limited overclock ceiling), and the Z87 chipset is worth it too - more SATA 6Gb/s ports, more USB3, etc.

If you already have Sandy, there's no reason to upgrade. But if you're buying new, you might as well get Haswell.

Hunt around forums for deals too. I got a 2600k and Maximus V Gene for less than a new Haswell i7 would cost. The deals are definitely out there.

Yeah I don't even think Sandy is in stock anymore, a used Sandy though would work.

Yeah I don't even think Sandy is in stock anymore, a used Sandy though would work.

Even used, unless you're going to save over $100 I personally would rather have the new tech. Heck, I'd rather have the newer tech unless I could get the older stuff for practically free. It's not all about the raw performance either, but the platform/chipset enhancements also.

Even used, unless you're going to save over $100 I personally would rather have the new tech. Heck, I'd rather have the newer tech unless I could get the older stuff for practically free. It's not all about the raw performance either, but the platform/chipset enhancements also.

All comes down to what the user needs.

Hunt around forums for deals too. I got a 2600k and Maximus V Gene for less than a new Haswell i7 would cost. The deals are definitely out there.

Totally this +1
I remembered I got 2600k+p67 sabertooth+16gb ram = $330 off craigslist.

Yeah cause PCIe 3.0 is so important.

OP Definitely get a used Sandy. The minimal performance bumps can be offset with OCing.

Actually, it is to the hardcore enthusiast. A decent couple frames extra, that can help alot in certain situations.

Actually, it is to the hardcore enthusiast. A decent couple frames extra, that can help alot in certain situations.

A hardcore enthusiast wouldnt be considering buying 3 year old used hardware in the first place. Even still, its a small increase in a handful of situations. Hardly important.

This article shows the difference between PCIe x16 1.X vs 3.X to be pretty damned minimal. The extra throughput might be more tangible at x8 / x8 though; I wish they'd have done SLI and Crossfire tests too.

A hardcore enthusiast wouldnt be considering buying 3 year old used hardware in the first place. Even still, its a small increase in a handful of situations. Hardly important.

If its faster or offers more to play with, perhaps they would.

Yeah cause PCIe 3.0 is so important.

OP Definitely get a used Sandy. The minimal performance bumps can be offset with OCing.

It can be, particularly with multi-gpu configurations. Not to mention PCI3 isn't the only benefit. SB, in all likelihood will be just fine. I'm simply saying that unless you're saving a significant amount of $$$, like the earlier guy that posted who got a 2600k and board for less than the cost of Haswell alone, you're probably better off with a newer setup. If you're on a strict budget and you can secure a deal like a 2600k and a Z68 or Z77 board for less than the cost of Haswell, then by all means you should go that route.

Back