• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sandy-E to launch Nov 14...

Its kinda funny you say this because bf3's engine, frostbite 2, supports up to 8 cores according to a demo done by DICE at siggraph 2009, of course thats a while ago theres also a more recent slideshow Here (powerpoint file) where they've upgraded it to 16HW threads from the 8 they had in the earlier siggraph presentation.

Are you sure about that? If there are 16 threads then there are about 14 that aren't doing much.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html
 
I must have been misinformed, or read something wrong, or read a review on memory that was outrageously expensive. In that case, there is no reason I will not be building a new system. I was already set on spending 1K for a 980X a few months ago and held off, waiting for SB with 40 lanes.

DDR2 is expensive (by comparison), and original DDR is horrendously pricey - DDR3, on the other hand, is anything but. I just bought 8 GB of DDR3-1333 a week ago for $42USD (including tax) - retail. Since that wasn't a sale price (and RAM isn't among the items impacted by the Thai flooding), that price won't be going anywhere (other than the odd sale) between now and the launch of Ivy Bridge. While SSDs and hard drives *are* impacted by the flooding - memory (mostly manufactured in South Korea, Japan, and the United States) is not.
 
While SSDs and hard drives *are* impacted by the flooding - memory (mostly manufactured in South Korea, Japan, and the United States) is not.

Is this why I can't find a decent terabyte drive anywhere on newegg for under $130 right now? :mad:
 
Is this why I can't find a decent terabyte drive anywhere on newegg for under $130 right now? :mad:

It's been in the news for the last two weeks... Where have you been....:confused::eek: That's why I ran into Microcenter last week and got two WD 1TB Black Caviars for $80/piece.... Don't need them, but, just in case....;)
 
I ran into Microcenter last week and got two WD 1TB Black Caviars for $80/piece.... Don't need them, but, just in case....;)

I think people like you are causing the hard drive shortage more than any flood ;)
 
one big order down.... almost bought ram but i'm on the fence. wonder if sandy-e is going to be so touchy about voltage, and with new OC options faster than 1600 might be worth it.

Now my head hurts :-(
 
I read that thing from Tom's Hardware and didn't see anything that left me inclined to lga2011. I'm likely to stick with something like Asus's ez overclock settings.
 
one big order down.... almost bought ram but i'm on the fence. wonder if sandy-e is going to be so touchy about voltage, and with new OC options faster than 1600 might be worth it.

Now my head hurts :-(

I did a lot of research on Sandybridge-E/X79 RAM and all sources say it will be the same speck as the current Sandybridge. Now if you want to wait for certified quad channel kits, that's up to you. But there is no reason you can't buy RAM now. I bought two sets of this:

http://mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/997015.aspx

See this thread also: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1648320
 
I read that thing from Tom's Hardware and didn't see anything that left me inclined to lga2011. I'm likely to stick with something like Asus's ez overclock settings.

What the heck are you going on about? LGA2011 and Asus bios options have nothing to do with each other.
 

Ya i'm pretty sure, first of all the benchmark doesn't take anything like AI into effect or multiplayer with 64 players (which admittedly can't really be benchmarked). In that tom's review you can even see that on his first page he says its not the most intense action sequence nor that his test results are accurate, only that they can be used in a relativistic manner. Not to mention on the second link it shows the cpu utilization using 5 cores with 2 cores getting a very small bit. As well you can look at the cpu utilization for the dual cores and its at 90 percent or above at all times where as the quad cores its much less. This means they are using the processors' cores more efficiently. Unfortunately there's no real hex core in any of those listings just more hyper threaded cores. Also on top of that all, the graphics card isn't powerful enough to get past 82 fps in almost any situation regardless of the processor.

So yes it might not matter now but it does use more than two cores. Even if it doesn't max out those cores its using them in such a manner that it scales to use more and more cores which is important for energy efficiency and a number of other reasons.
 
Reading threads on Sandy-e and bulldozer is like following the stock market..... damn speculators :-P
 
How the fuck did this thread derail into an argument over factually incorrect non facts about shit no one knows shit about.

Just get it back on topic before this gets any stupider.

Okay Im gonna wait on benches obviously. Then my pocket will burn.
 
Last edited:
I feel sorry for your pocket :(

I'm just ready to move on from my Presler architecture-based system! If there is any kind of delay I'm gonna go crazy.
 
Not really. I would wait for either the 8-core Ivy Bridge processors or the next generation. Especially a 980x at 4.7 ghz.

Sounds like it was a good investment since its lasted me through sandy and e-sandybridge then lol... still more then I ever wanted to pay for a processor.
 
The 3930k 6 core processor is up for pre-order. $610!!!! wtf???
 
I see no reason to want this. For gaming, surfing the internet, backing up movies, ms office, and audio editing I probably wouldn't even notice a difference from my 2500K. Monitoring my hardware usage on my G15 LCD readout at all times and with 8 gigs, I never go above 50%, and CPU never goes above 40% unless backing up bluerays or stress testing. Only thing I need to upgrade now is my GTX480's. :cool:
 
Hmm good points. I'm looking to upgrade my i7 950 and was holding out for X79, but maybe I'll go Z68?? If the prices of the SB-e processors are going to be as high as they say, it definetly does not make sense.
 
Considering the 3930k or 2600k for a virtualization platform and video encoding.

One week until benchmarks, shouldn't be a difficult decision to make once they're out.

My virtualized environment typically consists of a DB server, a web server, a WHS, a Win7 test VM and two domain controllers.
 
I'm not buying 3930K since I have it on very good authority that FX8150 will smoke it. I read it on amdzone. It's gotta be true! :p
 
Hmm good points. I'm looking to upgrade my i7 950 and was holding out for X79, but maybe I'll go Z68?? If the prices of the SB-e processors are going to be as high as they say, it definetly does not make sense.

The 3930K will be in the range of $550-$600+ at launch so if you were expecting to pay less than that for a SB-E you might as well stop looking now and go Sandy Bridge Z68. The 3820 will be cheaper when Intel releases it later on but it's only 4 core and is locked so really doubt it shows any performance advantage over a 2600k/2700k.
 
trlolalalala

Hope IB-E comes out for LGA2011 in April

Is there any factual basis for this? I was going to upgrade to LGA 2011 probably in December, but the prices of the unlocked CPUs are just way out of line.
 
Is there any factual basis for this? I was going to upgrade to LGA 2011 probably in December, but the prices of the unlocked CPUs are just way out of line.

No, no factual basis. It's based on the rumor that there will be an IB-E chip and the fact that IB is set to come out around march/april. I'm thinking they don't need to come out with a separate platform for IB-E just one year after LGA2011, so why not just release an LGA2011 chip when IB drops or a little after.
 
No, no factual basis. It's based on the rumor that there will be an IB-E chip and the fact that IB is set to come out around march/april. I'm thinking they don't need to come out with a separate platform for IB-E just one year after LGA2011, so why not just release an LGA2011 chip when IB drops or a little after.

Why would a company introduce a new product in November of 2011 then introduce another product that would affect sales in April of 2012? How is that logical? Ivy Bridge for Socket 1155 will come out in April. Socket 2011 is on a completely different timetable.
 
Why would a company introduce a new product in November of 2011 then introduce another product that would affect sales in April of 2012? How is that logical? Ivy Bridge for Socket 1155 will come out in April. Socket 2011 is on a completely different timetable.
Well generally this happens all the time. IB it self will certainly effect sales of SB-E depending on the benchmarks. Also, rumor is Intel will release an update to the 3630K and 3960X around March/April. Why not just release an IB version for LGA2011? On top of that there are rumors that the initial SB-E supply will be pretty low. That and the whole fiasco with PCI-E 3.0 certification and no USB 3.0 native support and missing SATA channels, I don't see them hesitating on moving to IB-E quick if they think they can better capitalize on that chip.
 
Well generally this happens all the time. IB it self will certainly effect sales of SB-E depending on the benchmarks. Also, rumor is Intel will release an update to the 3630K and 3960X around March/April. Why not just release an IB version for LGA2011? On top of that there are rumors that the initial SB-E supply will be pretty low. That and the whole fiasco with PCI-E 3.0 certification and no USB 3.0 native support and missing SATA channels, I don't see them hesitating on moving to IB-E quick if they think they can better capitalize on that chip.

The Socket 2011 release in march/april will be the i7-3820 4 core cpu. Like i said, the two platforms are on 2 different time tables. Just because ivybridge is about to launch on one platform doesnt mean they have it done on socket 2011. Its two completely different teams working on each platform.
 
What is the improvements going to be in April/May for SDB-E over the release on the 14th of this month?
 
What is the improvements going to be in April/May for SDB-E over the release on the 14th of this month?

Advantages of IB over SB-E:
around 1/2 the power (77W TDP including the GPU).
Onboard gpu
PCIE-3
Possibly higher overclocking frequencies.

Disadvantages:
Only 4 cores instead of 6 (or eventually 8).
Only dual channel ram instead of Quad Channel on SB-E
Only 16 PCIe lanes instead of 40 on SB-E
 
Last edited:
What is the improvements going to be in April/May for SDB-E over the release on the 14th of this month?

There will be none, The SB-E CPU that comes out then is just the entry level to the platform. Its the same architecture.
 
Advantages of IB over SB-E:
around 1/2 the power (77W TDP including the GPU).
Onboard gpu
PCIE-3
Possibly higher overclocking frequencies.

Disadvantages:
Only 4 cores instead of 6 (or eventually 8).
Only dual channel ram instead of Quad Channel on SB-E
Only 16 PCIe lanes instead of 40 on SB-E

Yeah I was not asking about ivy. I was asking about a new revision of SDB-E and if it was going to improve stuff.

There will be none, The SB-E CPU that comes out then is just the entry level to the platform. Its the same architecture.

Gotcha thanks!
 
Advantages of IB over SB-E:
around 1/2 the power (77W TDP including the GPU).
Onboard gpu
PCIE-3
Possibly higher overclocking frequencies.

Disadvantages:
Only 4 cores instead of 6 (or eventually 8).
Only dual channel ram instead of Quad Channel on SB-E
Only 16 PCIe lanes instead of 40 on SB-E

I was the guy who asked about the factual basis for an April 2012 release of IB on LGA 2011.

Those advantages over SB-E are pretty compelling, especially the 77 W TDP and PCIE-3. So instead of upgrading in Dec/Jan to SB-E I would be happy to wait to April for IB on LGA 2011, IF that was a confirmed plan.

I'm hoping against hope that someone can confirm that IB on LGA 2011 will be released in April, but nobody seems able to do that.
 
I'm hoping against hope that someone can confirm that IB on LGA 2011 will be released in April, but nobody seems able to do that.

No one can confirm this. Most information that I've read from reliable sources said to expect IB-E based on LGA 2011 around September 2012.
 
I thought we were talking about lga1155 IB since that is the one that one will come out in April. IB-E, I would expect to be a Q4 2012 part not Q2.
 
Back
Top