Sandy-E to launch Nov 14...

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
From Semi....

..... "The new date is now November 14 for the i7-3960X and 3930K CPUs....."
and ..." the 3820 with no suffix and four cores is set for February some time..."

Now give us the prices...:eek:

^^^ Have to wait and see all the benches and prices first to determine that...

Actually, more like just see the prices, it's the exact same architecture as Sandy Bridge.

For gaming and most general usage, no. If you're not sure you need the power of x79, you don't need it.

For heavy rendering workstation type duties where speed is key to making profits, yes. For applications that require more than 16gb of RAM, yes.

There is a good chance that the price will be like this or very close.
Core i7-3820 -- $294
Core i7-3930K -- $583
Core i7-3960X -- $999

All prices are per tray of 1000 CPUs. The only one i have my doubts on are the 3820.

Probably been asked before somewhere else, and I'm not trying to jack this.......:)

Have an X58, I'm thinking maybe if I upgrade it would be best to wait for the Ivy Bridge?

It can't be too long.....I've seen February or March, and there's nothing wrong with what I have, it's just that I've had it for over 2 years and I want something new....;)

Probably been asked before somewhere else, and I'm not trying to jack this.......:)

Have an X58, I'm thinking maybe if I upgrade it would be best to wait for the Ivy Bridge?

It can't be too long.....I've seen February or March, and there's nothing wrong with what I have, it's just that I've had it for over 2 years and I want something new....;)

Sandy Bridge-E is Socket 2011 which is coming out nov 14th. Sandy Bridge is socket 1155 which came out January 2011. Ivy Bridge is socket 1155 and is due out in Feb-March 2012. Ivy Bridge-E is socket 2011 and due out late 2012.

Actually, more like just see the prices, it's the exact same architecture as Sandy Bridge.

For gaming and most general usage, no. If you're not sure you need the power of x79, you don't need it.

For heavy rendering workstation type duties where speed is key to making profits, yes. For applications that require more than 16gb of RAM, yes.

I require it because I need more epeen. Plus I encode videos using other than quicksync and APP/Cuda where the quality is far superior but takes hours even on my 2600K.

I bet microcetner will have some below cost deals on the processor to move components faster like they did with 1155 boards and chips. I am hopeful to say the least.

Lastly all these comments on other website about how much these chips wont make a difference past current 2500K and 2600K is making me LOL hardcore. I mean seriously. These people are just angry because they want to have a 6 core but probably cant afford it and are trying to justify holding on to their 4 core 1155's by downtalking a chip that isnt even released yet.

Bring it 40 lanes muhahhaa

Last edited:
I'm eying this for an upgrade from my 1156 box. Had my eye on the 4 core though might end up waiting until Ivy.

As long it has better x264 2nd pass encoding times than my i7 2600k, i'll be down to purchase one.

Sandy Bridge-E is Socket 2011 which is coming out nov 14th. Sandy Bridge is socket 1155 which came out January 2011. Ivy Bridge is socket 1155 and is due out in Feb-March 2012. Ivy Bridge-E is socket 2011 and due out late 2012.

That's nice information that I already knew........that and my current board is S1366 and is EOL.

What I am trying to decide is.....will the X79 have anything over the coming IvyBridge release as far as mainboard features? and I think that answer is no.

Damn, over a year after Gulftown and we still have to pay an arm and a leg for a six core Intel processor. I blame AMD.

As long it has better x264 2nd pass encoding times than my i7 2600k, i'll be down to purchase one.

Your not haappy with your 2600K's x264 second pass performance?

Lastly all these comments on other website about how much these chips wont make a difference past current 2500K and 2600K is making me LOL hardcore. I mean seriously. These people are just angry because they want to have a 6 core but probably cant afford it and are trying to justify holding on to their 4 core 1155's by downtalking a chip that isnt even released yet.

It's OK, I'm sure BF3 and other games will magically start using extra cores, just for you.

You could always transcode a movie in the background while you game to make yourself feel better about paying twice as much for the same performance :p

It's OK, I'm sure BF3 and other games will magically start using extra cores, just for you.

You could always transcode a movie in the background while you game to make yourself feel better about paying twice as much for the same performance :p

You say this as if it's something no one does. This is EXACTLY what live stream gaming is. More cores is absolutely huge for live streaming your gaming sessions. Go to twitch.tv sometime and check it out if you haven't.

Live streaming is quickly growing in popularity as another form of passive entertainment. Granted, not everyone has the desire to stream to an audience, but it's not something that's super rare anymore.

For people who do not encode, do heavy video/graphics work or live stream, the extra cost is most likely overkill; but there's PLENTY of people who can make use of the power. Not everyone is in the same boat as you, you know.

From Semi....

and ..." the 3820 with no suffix and four cores is set for February some time..."

Cool, 11/14 is my birthday. I will definitely be upgrading (rebuilding) the rig in my sig. If I were to wait for Ivy, I would want it with a Sandy Bridge E chip & the added PCI lanes, which is almost a year away. Time to start specking out the rest of the system.

Only thing that might hold this off are quad channel ram prices.

Wut?
8GB kits of DDR3 ram can be had for like 50-60 bucks on the egg. Two of those will run you $120 and you'll have 16GB.

I must have been misinformed, or read something wrong, or read a review on memory that was outrageously expensive. In that case, there is no reason I will not be building a new system. I was already set on spending 1K for a 980X a few months ago and held off, waiting for SB with 40 lanes.

Damn, over a year after Gulftown and we still have to pay an arm and a leg for a six core Intel processor. I blame AMD.

AMD and the fact that its not on the 22nm IB process. That should help out when it arrives. I dont expect much help from AMD though.

it may not be worth it for most, but i'm sure we'll see more then a couple [H] members with these new chips

At this point, Ivy Bridge-E hasn't been officially confirmed yet. For all we know they could pull a 180 and release an 18nm part with a completely different code name and design for 2011 next year. But it's fairly sure they won't, based on the past Intel strategy.

I am curious to see if Intel will confirm it, one way or the other, if ivy bridge e will also work in the same motherboards as Sandy Bridge e....

From Semi....

If Nov 14th is the release date :confused: then the Boards should be available to purchase now. The boards always show up weeks earlier than the processor itself.

just bought a new case, power supply being ordered, few ssd......where's the boards?!

just bought a new case, power supply being ordered, few ssd......where's the boards?!

I bought my RAM and H100 water cooler. I'll probably pick up an Intel 520 SSD on release day. Bring on the motherboards and processors! :D

I don't think ill be taking the SB-E route... Still NO native USB 3.0 support.

Ivy Bridge will be a better upgrade option!

I'm personally looking forward to the awesomeness of an Ivy Bridge laptop. Along with the next gen GPU's it should be a great performer with decent battery life.

What's the end-user experience difference between native 3.0 support vs. a separate chipset?

Whatever that difference is it doesn't strike me as a strong deal breaker.

Its kinda funny you say this because bf3's engine, frostbite 2, supports up to 8 cores according to a demo done by DICE at siggraph 2009, of course thats a while ago theres also a more recent slideshow Here (powerpoint file) where they've upgraded it to 16HW threads from the 8 they had in the earlier siggraph presentation. They have also said that it includes Hyper Threading but of course HT is kinda like half a core or less in some cases. Computing is working toward more and more cores, its more efficient and more powerful to run 2 programs on 2 cores than it is to run 2 programs on 1 core. Just because your 4 core is the standard now doesn't mean that it won't change in the near future especially with companies like DICE helping to move the industry toward using more cores and using them efficiently.

Intel's extreme has always been a bit overpriced, but at $580 you get a true hexcore without HT. Its more a matter of do you need those extra cores for rendering or encoding now. But saying that gamers don't need that extra power now is like saying that technology doesn't move forward at an alarmingly fast rate and that no game will use the full extent of the 3830K in the next few years and that is just false. That said, a 2500k or 2600k is probably good enough to play games but not at their best settings down the road and will probably have a 3-4 year lifespan (which is probably far longer than most users on this forums upgrade) until it will degenerate toward low settings.

and a final reply to the quote :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-L1WD-3WU

Back