Sandy-E to launch Nov 14...

Advantages of IB over SB-E:
around 1/2 the power (77W TDP including the GPU).
Onboard gpu
PCIE-3
Possibly higher overclocking frequencies.

Disadvantages:
Only 4 cores instead of 6 (or eventually 8).
Only dual channel ram instead of Quad Channel on SB-E
Only 16 PCIe lanes instead of 40 on SB-E

PCIe-v3 is confirmed on many motherboards for SB-E. SB-E allows better tweaking for overclocking from the rumors, obviously no conclusive evidence of this until the 14th, just rumor. Ability to change base clock etc instead of just the Multiplier which can allow for higher overclocks. Just have to wait til the 14th though.

Ivy-E (2011) is most likely not going to come out near IB (1155). Probably around September like someone said earlier.
 
PCIe-v3 is confirmed on many motherboards for SB-E. SB-E allows better tweaking for overclocking from the rumors, obviously no conclusive evidence of this until the 14th, just rumor. Ability to change base clock etc instead of just the Multiplier which can allow for higher overclocks. Just have to wait til the 14th though.

Ivy-E (2011) is most likely not going to come out near IB (1155). Probably around September like someone said earlier.

Ten bucks and a beer says that IB-E is gonna be Q1-13. :D
 
You forgot the biggest performance increase in Ivy. Trigate.

I'm realistic and don't like to be let down.... what happens if trigate tech doesn't OC well? We know next to nothing about it. Watch what happens when people find out it's like super sensitive to voltage changes/irregularities, or has some other weird bug.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's all that and a bag of chips but don't set yoursleves up to be bummed out if it isn't all you'd hoped.
 
I'm realistic and don't like to be let down.... what happens if trigate tech doesn't OC well? We know next to nothing about it. Watch what happens when people find out it's like super sensitive to voltage changes/irregularities, or has some other weird bug.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's all that and a bag of chips but don't set yoursleves up to be bummed out if it isn't all you'd hoped.

The gains from just the technology alone is what i was referring to. Overclockability isnt known though being its an efficiency upgrade im sure it wont hurt.
 
I have been getting the itch to do a new build but it looks like I need to wait until at least next week before I seriously consider any parts.
 
SB-E runs hotter.
Hotter than what? Afaict the TDP is similar to it's predecessor gulftown and unlike with gulftown there is no IOH on the motherboard.

Of course it's higher power than mainstream SB and anyone who expected otherwise is stupid.
 
Here in Australia my local computer store has started selling the i7 3930K for $659, which isn't really too bad, though buying the CPU now would be useless since the X79 boards haven't been released yet. Can't wait to see benchmarks and reviews for Sandy Bridge Extreme, I don't it won't disappoint.
 
I was thinking the same thing? isn't the 2600k the same but unlocked multi? They show both at 3.4GHz so I don't think the k was overclocked.

Same thing with the 980x and 980 - they show the 980x much higher but at the same clock.

Weird


Why is the 2600k so much higher than the 2600 on this chart?
 
980 has a 4.8GT/s QPI link, but 980X has a 6.4GT/s link.

Yes but there are no qpi links on 1155 they use dmi. So there should be no difference in 26k Nd non k performance, unless these benches are total shit which is quite obvious.
 
Im calling BS on that site. Its never been a reliable source and yet they list CPUs like the 995x, 2700K, and now the 3960X.
 
Yes but there are no qpi links on 1155 they use dmi. So there should be no difference in 26k Nd non k performance, unless these benches are total shit which is quite obvious.

My only explanation is overclocked memory versus Intel supported ram speeds. I would expect on average 2600K users will use faster ram than 2600 users. And in synthetic tests faster ram can make a difference.
 
A fool and his money is easily departed. Fortunately i'm no fool :D

That's fine, I'll be happy to drink your beer... glug... :)

If that benchmark is anywhere near accurate, then 3960X is just the latest epeen CPU. Over a grand for that? No thanks. Do a price/performance calculation for it vs. 2600K and you'll laugh.
 
That's fine, I'll be happy to drink your beer... glug... :)

If that benchmark is anywhere near accurate, then 3960X is just the latest epeen CPU. Over a grand for that? No thanks. Do a price/performance calculation for it vs. 2600K and you'll laugh.

Now for 583 the 3930K is perfect. I wish less money but then again Quad Channel RAM and PCI-e 3.0 x 40 lanes.(3.0 ready).

This damn thing screams bandwidth. I say if you are running 2 cards stick with the 1155 and live long and prosperous.
 
My last computer lasted me 8 years. I have no problem spending a lot if I can make it last a long time ;)
 
I've never understood why people think that $600 for a CPU is a big deal. It's the most advanced piece of computer technology that money can buy. It can do amazing things, and there is certainly value in having "the best".

If I were building a new rig today, upgrading from something a few years old, I'd definitely seriously consider the 3930K. The 1155 platform is nice and all, but if I want a machine that'll last, I'm going to want 6 cores. I recently upgraded my i7 860 to an i7 970, and I had no problems plunking down the cash -- because with HSW going 4 cores, these Gulftowns and SNB-E's are going to be top notch for a long time.
 
I've never understood why people think that $600 for a CPU is a big deal. It's the most advanced piece of computer technology that money can buy. It can do amazing things, and there is certainly value in having "the best".

If I were building a new rig today, upgrading from something a few years old, I'd definitely seriously consider the 3930K. The 1155 platform is nice and all, but if I want a machine that'll last, I'm going to want 6 cores. I recently upgraded my i7 860 to an i7 970, and I had no problems plunking down the cash -- because with HSW going 4 cores, these Gulftowns and SNB-E's are going to be top notch for a long time.

You hit it right on the spot. Most people settle for second or third best and harp on the top of the line as being stupid etc.... but you know what? Its their right and that is fine.

I am going to get a 3930K, it may not be TOP TOP of the line but it is TOP of the line. And for the money I am not concerned because I certainly do NOT have the knowledge and resources to make a better chip for less money. Best wishes to AMD I hope they can overcome their BDZR fiasco and come out on top again and they will certainly get my dollars, I would absolutely love to have a true 8 core chip. But for now Intel has the 6 and that is where I intend to spend my dollars for the best.

Now lets hope I and other members here can get a chip and board in the next month after they come out because they will probably be sold out everywhere, ala 2600K on launch.
 
It's not $600 is bad for a cpu, it's just if you can get a nice 2600k for $300 and get $1000 performance or like the old days a Celeron 300A @ 464 competing with the top dog P2's that cost $800 or more. Value is a good thing.
 
It's not $600 is bad for a cpu, it's just if you can get a nice 2600k for $300 and get $1000 performance or like the old days a Celeron 300A @ 464 competing with the top dog P2's that cost $800 or more. Value is a good thing.

You will be able to get a 3820 for the same price as a 2600K. Im having a hard time believing that a 2600K performs just like a 3960X.

Thats like saying you can get i7-980X performance out of a i7-875K.
 
It's not $600 is bad for a cpu, it's just if you can get a nice 2600k for $300 and get $1000 performance or like the old days a Celeron 300A @ 464 competing with the top dog P2's that cost $800 or more. Value is a good thing.

Wait and watch the benchmarks absolutely destroy the 2600K stock for stock in apps that matter. Do not bring games into the discussion. my Playstation 3 still has beautiful graphics and its no where near the power of these 2 processors.

This not about games. Its about throughput and real workloads.
 
Wait and watch the benchmarks absolutely destroy the 2600K stock for stock in apps that matter. Do not bring games into the discussion. my Playstation 3 still has beautiful graphics and its no where near the power of these 2 processors.

This not about games. Its about throughput and real workloads.

Amen brother. Too many kiddos in this discussion.
 
I'm looking at the cheaper hexcore for rendering. The 6 cores with the extra cpu cache, memory bandwidth and memory capacity (on an 8 slot board) represents excellent value and potential power. Potential in games is a bonus.

Now the issue is what X79 board do I go for... Sabretooth, ROG... Bring on those reviews!
 
I'm also looking at the cheaper hexcore for non-gaming workloads. I am very eager to see power consumption and performance under heavily multi-threaded loads compared to Gulftown.

Still considering a 2600k or maybe even a used 970 depending on what we find out tomorrow.
 
I'm looking at the cheaper hexcore for rendering. The 6 cores with the extra cpu cache, memory bandwidth and memory capacity (on an 8 slot board) represents excellent value and potential power. Potential in games is a bonus.

Now the issue is what X79 board do I go for... Sabretooth, ROG... Bring on those reviews!

Yeah I agree completely with you on the 3930K over the 60X. Intel has a really bad pricing setup on the 60x if you ask me. I understand the pricing for the best of the best and thats not a problem but you really only gain extra L3. Now if it has the QPI for dual processors and the 3930K doesnt okay its another ballgame for me.

Im really eyeballing the Rampage IV. I hope it is not $500.00 but then again you get what you pay for.

I love the color scheme on the ROG setups but on the Rampage IV what I like most is the 8 RAM slots and the fact that express slots are spaced really well apart. I'm not so excited about the single NIC because I do use 802.3ad LAG connected to my NAS however I can live with a single NIC. I hope its atleast an Intel nic and not some broadcom or realtek. Although I can live with a wimpier nic if the board cost is significantly lower in cost because of that fact.

The sabertooth looks nice too but since I am placing it in a Caselabs monstrosity it might look a little tiny haha

And lastly Im justifying the 2011 system because I want something that:

1. has PCI-e 3.0 (bios reflash more than likely)
2. has 6 cores for future proofing and folding, video encoding, and just plain feels good looking at 12 threads.
3. I dont have to upgrade for atleast 3 years and still feel competitive like many of you 1366 folks did and are doing still.

hrrm now if AMD works out that 8150p they are going to release, it sounds like a monster, then the dual 2011 system might not be in my future haha
 
Last edited:
I'm coming from a core 2 3GHz from 2007 so will be a big jump. Will be changing up from a trusty 8800GTX as well and going SSD so looking for a big overall combined jump in performance :D
 
So? the reviews coming today after 00.00 or i'm wrong?

I've read NDA will be lifted at 00:01 PST tonight/tomorrow at a couple of places. I also read a source yesterday, that seemed to be in the know, that stated the NDA will be lifted at 07:00 PST tomorrow.
 
You guys act like it's all this needed moar powar. I mean come on, a Sandy overclocked runs damn near everything butter smooth. I understand there is people with money and want the best of the best, no doubt. If you do, cool for you. I'm keeping my eye on it, but my Sandy at 5 ghz is certainly a ok.
 
Back
Top