Sandy Bridge P6X Chipset Shipments Halted.

Ouch, $300-Mil mistake. At least it's not "urgent', hopefully they can ship out replacements before you have to ship yours back in. This will hold me off a bit longer... man the upgrade itch sucks.

Arg, I just read that 2 minutes ago and came here to share the (bad) news...

I wonder if that means I can now spend more time pushing my 2600k to a stable 5+ghz and not have to worry about it burning out...

Is it the actual cpu itself causing the problem? or is it the intel chipsets themselves?

I'm on an asus p8p67 deluxe and have marvel sata ports as well as intel sata ports... can i just not use the intel ones to avoid issues? Time will tell as more information comes out I guess...

Seems like this is affecting chipsets shipped after 1/9. I bought my board before the CPU came out, so I wonder if this even affects me.

Seems like this is affecting chipsets shipped after 1/9. I bought my board before the CPU came out, so I wonder if this even affects me.

Date doesn't matter. If it's a P6X chipset, it's bugged and you'll have to send it back.

Engadget said:
A problem requiring a "silicon fix" is bad news in the chipset business, and sadly that's what Intel is announcing. Its new Intel 6 Series chipset, Cougar Point, has been found to have a flaw, something to do with the SATA controller. Intel is indicating that the ports can "degrade over time," leading to poor i/o performance down the road. All shipments have been stopped and a fix has been implemented for new deliveries, but it sounds like recalls will be starting soon for those with this ticking time bomb silicon within. It isn't a critical problem right now, though, so if you own a Sandy Bridge Core i5 or Core i7 system keep computing with confidence while looking for a recall notice, but it is bad news for Intel's bottom line: the company is advising a $300 million hit to revenue.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

Ouch... I'm glad I decided to upgrade my video cards first this year o_O

I just chat with Newegg and they haven't heard of the recall yet so they are still selling these boards. I wonder when they will have new boards in stock? I was about to finally upgrade in the next couple weeks lol Now I have to wait for a giant ship to sail across the pacific lol.

there needs to be a comprehensive survey thread of what boards are owned and if that boards got a sata problem. along with p67/h67 boards that are running along fine.

The report says it causes "performance degradation over time". Wonder what kind of time that is - months, years? The RMA departments are going to be swamped in a few months (Intel says volume shipments in April).

The report says it causes "performance degradation over time". Wonder what kind of time that is - months, years? The RMA departments are going to be swamped in a few months (Intel says volume shipments in April).

"On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by customers. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on"

from anadtech article

also its a very small percentage so most people proabbly will never see the problem also its only on the 4 3gbs sata ports so if you use the 2 6gbs ports and the marvel controller this wont effect you.

people need not to panic on this.

motherboard basically anything that uses the sb chipsets desktops notebooks and motherboards is cannon fodder

I have new unopened i7 2600k and Asus P8p67Pro motherboard purchased from Microcenter. I did not bulit a system yet because I'm waiting for new memory chips from Newegg. What should I do?

You really have two choices

1: return it all now
2: build it and try to avoid using the sata 3G ports on the chipset if possible. Then wait for the recall.

Personally if the machine is for yourself and will have four or less drives i'd go for the second option.

Kudos to Intel for admitting the problem and taking a big hit. I can only imagine how some other companies (*hint* Apple) would react - refusal to admit fault, denial, and blame the users.

Did you guys notice that the CPUs have all been Deactivated @ newegg also. I thought this was just a mobo issue?

It is just a mobo issue, but there is only one chipset that supports the cpus, so essentially... The cpus can't be used at all and shouldn't be sold.

It is just a mobo issue, but there is only one chipset that supports the cpus, so essentially... The cpus can't be used at all and shouldn't be sold.

Yep, that's the downside to only having one chipset supplier. Back in the old days you could have just got a VIA or nVidia chipset motherboard and Intel could continue selling processors. Now because Intel is the only one they let make chipsets that work with their processors when their chipset has a problem it means everybody has the problem no matter what motherboard brand they get.

Edit: How screwy is it though that Newegg is still selling some Sandybridge motherboards? Considering it's the motherboards that are the part that needs replacement.

"On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by customers. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on"

from anadtech article

also its a very small percentage so most people proabbly will never see the problem also its only on the 4 3gbs sata ports so if you use the 2 6gbs ports and the marvel controller this wont effect you.

people need not to panic on this.

If that's the case then I don't think I'll even care, I have my SSD and Program drive hooked up to the two SATA 6GB ports and my 2tb raid1 hooked up to two SATA 3GB ports, so all I have to do is hook the raid 1 drives to the marvel 6gb ports and i'll be fine?

Well this is fantastic. I'm running RAID 0 on a P8P67 Pro. Am I going to have to re-install the whole damn OS and reformat?

Hook your main drives to the 6gp ports, I hooked my SSD to 6gb and 750 to 6gb and dvdrw to 3gb. I think everyone is blowing this way out. Intel did the right thing, they stepped up. Unless you're running mission critical data I don't see why you need to be mad. I'm gonna use it as is like so until newegg gets new stock in, then I'm gonna rma it with reason being 'intel sandy bridge shipment halt' . They'll replace my board fine.

judging by the official intel post, it looks like most mobos will get an RMA status for free once they send out the new chipset. for now i just threw my hdd and dvd-rom drive on the 6gbps ports until i get my free RMA info from gigabyte.

Anybody can tell me how does the RMA thing work? I bought it the Intel 2600k and Gigabyte P67A-UD5 from Newegg about 2 weeks ago. And curse you Intel for causing me all this unnecessary trouble.

Anybody can tell me how does the RMA thing work? I bought it the Intel 2600k and Gigabyte P67A-UD5 from Newegg about 2 weeks ago. And curse you Intel for causing me all this unnecessary trouble.

Every vendor/mfg is going to have to work it out somehow. We'll just have to wait and see what the process is. Hopefully they will have an RMA process that ships out new MB's in advance.

Well this is fantastic. I'm running RAID 0 on a P8P67 Pro. Am I going to have to re-install the whole damn OS and reformat?

Depends. I will probably need to but, if you're only using 2 drives in your RAID array you can do what was suggested and simply plug into the SATA III ports instead of the SATA II ports.

In my case, I now have 2 SSDs on the SATA6 ports, Four HDDs on the SATA3 in RAID0, a DVD+-RW and a 2TB SATA3 Drive on the Marvel Port. I got no options. I purchased this board specifically to replace a system with a shitty 3rd party IDE controller (Jmicron) so having 6 out of 8 SATA ports controlled by the P67 chipset was a requirement, not a luxury.

Edit: How screwy is it though that Newegg is still selling some Sandybridge motherboards? Considering it's the motherboards that are the part that needs replacement.

its not screwy they arent actually selling any.not now anyway goto newegg,and try to add one to cart.none of em will.

Hook your main drives to the 6gp ports, I hooked my SSD to 6gb and 750 to 6gb and dvdrw to 3gb. I think everyone is blowing this way out. Intel did the right thing, they stepped up. Unless you're running mission critical data I don't see why you need to be mad. I'm gonna use it as is like so until newegg gets new stock in, then I'm gonna rma it with reason being 'intel sandy bridge shipment halt' . They'll replace my board fine.

Pretty much what I was planning on doing; I hardly use my optical drive at it is.

It's still a pain in the ass issue.

Funny though, I JUST ordered my 2500K and p8p67-M Pro in the last two days...still waiting to see if Microcenter still ships out the mobo...

Best article I've seen yet says:

"The issue is a circuit design problem resulting in a gradual degradation over time of SATA connectivity on the affected ports, manifesting itself as high bit-error rates on those ports and eventually as total device disconnects. That's a serious issue, but it's limited in scope. Intel says storage devices connected to those ports should not be damaged, and data on the devices should be intact and readable on another system. The ports potentially affected, interestingly enough, are the four 3Gbps SATA ports on the chipset. The two 6Gbps SATA ports aren't at risk."

If you want the best details, read this article: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

My new system literally just shipped hours before all this happened. Thankfully i payed for the rush processing or i would likely be screwed.

Unless this causes data corruption i will just use it until all the commotion dies down then sweet talk ASUS into cross shipping me a replacement.

Go figure though first full build in 3 years and my mobo gets recalled the day it ships.:D

Well, I don't feel so bad now, not having bought a motherboard yet. I guess I am gonna do what many of you are probably already planning.. buying my other parts and having them on standby, waiting on the new motherboard revision(s).

Best article I've seen yet says:

"The issue is a circuit design problem resulting in a gradual degradation over time of SATA connectivity on the affected ports, manifesting itself as high bit-error rates on those ports and eventually as total device disconnects. That's a serious issue, but it's limited in scope. Intel says storage devices connected to those ports should not be damaged, and data on the devices should be intact and readable on another system. The ports potentially affected, interestingly enough, are the four 3Gbps SATA ports on the chipset. The two 6Gbps SATA ports aren't at risk."

If you want the best details, read this article: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

LOL... This is the article I quoted in the OP.

does anyone know when the actual cpu's will start shipping again? i just got my p67 motherboard shipped (according to newegg) and now i can't buy the processor...

Damn it. I just built a system for a friend using a P67 Express motherboard and 2600K processor.

does anyone know when the actual cpu's will start shipping again? i just got my p67 motherboard shipped (according to newegg) and now i can't buy the processor...
I'd say call up some suppliers and ask if they will sell you one, afaict the CPUs haven't actually been recalled the retailers are just pulling them to prevent customers ending up with CPUs they can't get a motherboard for.

Update: Jimmy sent us a chat log with an Intel customer service representative indicating that this recall only affects "some desktop boards based on Intel P67 chipset," that the H67 chipset boards appear to not be affected, but that the company doesn't have a comprehensive list yet. We've certainly seen cases where CSRs don't have all the info in this sort of situation, but still we'd advise waiting a bit before tearing your new mobo out and bringing it back to the store.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

Awesome. That's the only word I can think of to describe how fun this situation is.... Atleast this provides a good laugh for all of us wanting to upgrade. You have to have a sense of humour about something, why not just laugh at this. The reason I say this is becuase how many of us wanting to upgrade are thinking "of course this would happen to me at this time.." I know I thought like that once I saw the news, thinking I should've just ordered last night.

Well the good news is that it doesn't affect all the boards, which means some may go back on sale in the coming days, even though we'll only have a few options to choose from. I'd be all right with this option though. So everyone thinking like me, just be patient and we may get lucky that sometime in the near future a few boards are given the green light and we can purchase a board knowing that our sata connections will be ok. If it happens to be that all p67 mobos are bad, well lets just continue to laugh, what else can you do?

Back