• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy bridge chipset release

g0lden

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
67
I'm almost ready to upgrade my q6600, but I heard the sandy bridge chipset recall deal.
When is the new stuff supposed to be released?

Thanks
 
thats the million dollar question, I dont think anyone knows yet. The CPUs were re-released but the boards are still a noshow. I am in the same boat, and also upgrading from my Q66 :)
 
Yeah I noticed on Newegg.com the cpu's are for sale, but there is no 1155 socket mobo's.
 
Supposedly asus has started shipments of their revision 3 boards. To be completely honest I don't really know what that means; it's not like retailers have pre-orders or eta up.
 
I was wondering the same thing. I have a friend who wants me to build him a new system. About the time we were going to pull the trigger, the whole recall thing came out.

As he only upgrades every 5 years or so, I wanted to put together a nice little Sandy Bridge. Now, we are sort of stuck. Seems he is better off waiting until April and making due with his old P4 Shuttle.
 
i got a p67 sabertooth b2 stepping from directron being delivered today
 
Definitely looks like mid march. Asus almost has their new motherboards ready to ship to those who need an exchange, so I'd say after that and you'll be able to buy. They'll be first shipping them to the big distributors who need to replace motherboards, then to end users, then to retail stores.
 
Anyone know when Ivy Bridge comes out? If SB is pushed to April due to MB issues, and Bulldozer is coming out Q2 (end of April or beginning of May), then how long till IB? IB looks more impressive than SB, so if we have to wait anyway, it might be worth holding out for IB?

I'm puttering along with my C2Q, which is actually doing great right now, but I'm in the process of setting up Eyefinity, so I want to make sure that I won't be CPU limited in BFBC2.
 
SB isn't pushed to april, they're available now, this is a chipset recall not a CPU recall, it really has nothing to do with the CPU's and I don't see it affecting the time line for IB release
 
SB isn't pushed to april, they're available now, this is a chipset recall not a CPU recall, it really has nothing to do with the CPU's and I don't see it affecting the time line for IB release

SB is indeed out now, but what use is a processor without a motherboard to run it on? (at least a legitimate retailer who has them in stock)

I'm not in any way suggesting it affects IB launch, I'm plainly asking when is IB supposed to launch, as I'm unaware. I think it's Q3, but don't remember where I read that if anywhere.
 
I'm puttering along with my C2Q, which is actually doing great right now, but I'm in the process of setting up Eyefinity, so I want to make sure that I won't be CPU limited in BFBC2.

I was running a Q9650 at 4.0ghz and went to a 2500k at 5.0ghz and felt the game play was a good amount smoother, so arguably i was CPU limited by a Q9650 at 4.0ghz. I would say the main reason you would want to upgrade with regard to BC2 and Eyefinity is if your considering running Crossfire as well since it scales better on i7 setups.
 
As long as boards are available by the time BF3 launches I'll be happy. I don't necessarily plan on upgrading then, but should my machine not cope it would be nice to have that option readily available.
 
Ivy Bridge is compatible with Cougar Point so I wouldn't imagine it would delay it as much as if it had a new chipset and Cougar Point was delayed.
 
Yeah the older quads are definitely capable, but this is the first year I felt them actually lag and the difference between them and say a Sandy Bridge is a sizeable amount.
 
So there's nothing readily available at the moment that would work with a 2500k CPU?

I've got a friend who wants to do a build within a week or so and I'm honestly lost as to what's going on with this. Socket 1155 != 1156, right?
 
So there's nothing readily available at the moment that would work with a 2500k CPU?

I've got a friend who wants to do a build within a week or so and I'm honestly lost as to what's going on with this. Socket 1155 != 1156, right?

1155 and 1156 are not compatible. And no there are no boards readily available that will work with a 2500k and wont be for maybe another month.
 
1155 and 1156 are not compatible. And no there are no boards readily available that will work with a 2500k and wont be for maybe another month.
Oh well, I guess I'll either have to convince him to wait, or go with an i7 build :p
 
Oh well, I guess I'll either have to convince him to wait, or go with an i7 build :p

Convince him to wait for his sake. 2500k's nip on the heels of 980x's. And they OC very well. For most people theres really just no good reason to go with 1366 anymore despite it still being the high end socket and 1155 being the new mainstream socket (successor to 1156). Either wait for socket 2011 or go 1155 when they become available.
 
Yea, those have been up for a while now, but they're still not available for sale, and they're H67 (yuck! very not [H])
 
Yea the MSI board was up for about an hour or two before selling out. They've also got 2 BioStar boards that are available, a p67 and an h67, I just hesitate to "settle" on a BioStar (even though the reviews for it are good), versus the Asus p8p67 Pro I want. I've already sold my desktop components off on ebay, so now I'm screwed without a desktop until the board I really want comes in stock (preferably at Amazon, but Amazon still doesn't have any p67 boards in).

Thanks for that heads up Thermite Paste. I'll add other sources I find on here, as I can't be the only one looking.... right...?

EDIT: The MSI came back into stock again. It's the p67-GD55, not GD65, so there are a few less features than the one discussed in the multi-board comparison on tomshardware.
ReEDIT: The MSI still isn't in stock, it's just a bug on newegg's site. It won't go into your cart and says on the specific product page it's still out of stock.
 
Last edited:
The MSI board was taken off newegg, now there are just gross biostars. I think I'm gunna be sick.

Oh well at least this is a sign that the new revision is actually in production and almost ready to hit the market.
 
Asus made an announcement last week that they were shipping boards, so did Gigabyte and MSI, so they've all completed the intial B3 batches, and they've been shipped. That's why I'm sitting here command-R'ing (yes, Apple laptop, I know :( ) waiting for stuff to be in stock. The biostar actually got good reviews, but ehhh I'm gonna wait it out.

If someone is more desperate for new boards than I am, an Asus P8P67-LE keeps coming up as open box. I would jump on it, but the LE only supports 1 16x slot, though it's got a second slot that is 16x sized, but only runs at 4x or 1x. The normal P67 boards run both 16x slots at 8x/8x. Since I'm strongly considering CF 6950s, I want the option for 8x/8x.
 
Are newegg's open box's reliable?

Asus made an announcement last week that they were shipping boards, so did Gigabyte and MSI, so they've all completed the intial B3 batches, and they've been shipped. That's why I'm sitting here command-R'ing (yes, Apple laptop, I know :( ) waiting for stuff to be in stock. The biostar actually got good reviews, but ehhh I'm gonna wait it out.

If someone is more desperate for new boards than I am, an Asus P8P67-LE keeps coming up as open box. I would jump on it, but the LE only supports 1 16x slot, though it's got a second slot that is 16x sized, but only runs at 4x or 1x. The normal P67 boards run both 16x slots at 8x/8x. Since I'm strongly considering CF 6950s, I want the option for 8x/8x.
 
1155 boards have been available for a few days on newegg. Gigabyte announced last week that they had begun shipping out MB with B3 last week
 
Asus is starting to trickle more out on the market as well. Pretty nice that its only been about 5 weeks since this was first reported that the replacement boards are coming out...
 
yeah nice if they are rock solid.........not so nice if they are not. lots of people having issues with the first release of these boards...just before the chipset issue was found out.
 
yeah nice if they are rock solid.........not so nice if they are not. lots of people having issues with the first release of these boards...just before the chipset issue was found out.


Early adopters struggling I don't think anyone is claiming to own a rock solid SB except maybe the $300+ Asus. I had to build a computer now so I just bought a $100 B3 sandybridge MB , if you can wait its a better option till the bugs are all worked out.
 
P8P67-M Pro is rock solid here. You have to understand that forums are designed for whiners. People that aren't having problems are generally not going to be posting about their lack of problems.
 
Back
Top