• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy Bridge and SLI?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
42,409
Hey all,

I heard a rumor that I am trying to substantiate without any real success.

The rumor is that there is no agreement between Intel and Nvidia for SLI with the new chipsets for Sandy Bridge like there was for the X58 Express chipsets, and as such we will not see SLI enabled motherboards for Sandy Bridge (at least at launch).

I have however tried to find a source for this information without any success.

Does anyone know if this is accurate and ahve a source with which to back it up?
 
Considering what a massive thorn Intel has been to Nvidia (blew away chipset business, killing Ion 2 with Atom SoC), I wouldn't be terribly surprised by this. Then again, SLI licensing is still a cash flow, so it'd be kind of silly not to extend support.
 
Considering what a massive thorn Intel has been to Nvidia (blew away chipset support, killing Ion 2 with Atom SoC), I wouldn't be terribly surprised by this. Then again, SLI licensing is still a cash flow, so it'd be kind of silly not to extend support.

Do you think NVidia would be stupid enough to not allow SLI on Intel's upcoming CPU family? They're done with chipsets, so they have to play nice with Intel.
 
I'm fairly certain that one of the gigabyte boards previewed has support for 2x16 or 4x8 SLI via the nForce200 chipset. From what I understand, intel/nvidia dont need to agree on anything, the motherboard manufacturer only needs to slap the NF chip on the board
 
Just like s1156, s1155 will support 2x8 SLI/XFire just fine.
 
with the nforce 200 chip, 3 way SLI can be supported, with one card running at full x16 and the other two cards sharing an x16 lane. No agreements needed. These are your top priced motherboards though.. I'll have to wait and see how much they cost before buying. Hopefully there's more then just gigabyte.. would love to get an EVGA board with that chip in.

alternately you can go SLI at full x16 which is mostly what I want, since x8 will start to become a bottleneck with the next generation of cards that comes out next year. x16 should be good for a few years.
 
I'm fairly certain that one of the gigabyte boards previewed has support for 2x16 or 4x8 SLI via the nForce200 chipset. From what I understand, intel/nvidia dont need to agree on anything, the motherboard manufacturer only needs to slap the NF chip on the board

There is no nForce chip required for SLI, it's simply a bios modification that costs licensing fees. All the NF200 does is basically traffic manage the PCI-E lanes between the cards and the chipset / CPU, which really does nothing except add heat and cost for gaming.
 
Back
Top