Sandy Bridge 1155 Roadmap Question

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
Has it been released/rumored what the processor timeline will be for the 1155 platform?

I've read the platform should have dual and quad cores at launch, but I'm interested in having the option for hex and octo eventually if neccessary. Of course this all depends on mobo support... just curious.

Too early to know?

Last edited:
It is probably too early to know. The LGA 2011 is the higher end chip socket.

"This socket is expected to be released alongside Sandy Bridge-EX in Q3 2011, and will support 4 memory channels as well as 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes ; the socket will measure 58.5mm x 51mm, and is backwards compatible with LGA 1366 cooling solutions "

Which is good because I wont have to buy a new cooler! bwahaha.

But anyway, it would seem odd for intel to not do something that amd was kind of already doing (but on a much lower level).
On the sandy vagina page it does have;

"4 cores by default, but processors with 6 and 8 cores will probably be available in Q2 2011"

So that looks like a yes.

Though the table in that very same article says 6- & 8-core CPUs will come in Q3.

but for the 2011 platform.

Right, I was just saying that the article contradicts itself -- in one place it says Q2 and in another Q3.

Edit: But yeah, as to your original question ... there seems to be no information about when/whether LGA 1155 will ever get 6/8-core CPUs.

I thought the 1156 is the mobile platform or the i5 platform. So its less likely but as there was 800 series i7s it would make sense. But that said the "extreme" models are all for the 1366.
The date keeps changing based on how far intel are with what they are doing. They recently said everything had been pushed forward so sandy CPUs might be here beofre the end of the year.

The date keeps changing because AMD is not a big threat right now, and really haven't been since Conroe debuted like 4 years ago.

Hopefully bulldozer changes the landscape, and at least brings parity in performance, so prices will have to drop.

I believe all the current speculation points to Q4 this year for 1155. It is likely we will hear something more firm in September with IDF happening.

I also have a question:

Should I make small upgrades and changes to my PC now or should I wait until next year when 2011 comes out and do a complete PC rebuild?

Anything I buy now will not be worth as much when Sandy is released.

I also have a question:

Should I make small upgrades and changes to my PC now or should I wait until next year when 2011 comes out and do a complete PC rebuild?

Most anything technological bought will be woth less when the replacement comes out.! I bought a 260 for full price which now retails for about 1/3. a few years later. But. if you have a 1366 and go for 2011 then you're cooling system and ram will still work according to whats been said, so this will only affect your motherboard and CPU.
If you should upgrade not depends on what you use the computer for, if you use lot's of multithreaded CPU power then go for it. If you don't then you can afford to wait for the price to go down, unless the benchmarks come back saying it's vastly superior to i7s.

Well I thought the Sandy memory is Quad channel? That's means my memory will have to be swapped too. Maybe I won't spend as much and wait for the benchmarks and better motherboards to be released. The early ones are usually not the best and ASUS may not release a R4E until late next year.

The 1366 is tripple channel but if you stick 2 sticks in it still works in double channel, and 1 makes it single channel. Now i'm not sure how the channels on the sandy bridge motherboards are going to work. The 4 channels should mean 4 x 2 slots, is the most likely and follows the patterns of 1156 (2x2) and 1366 (2x3). So youll probably get all the options of 1366 ram (1,2,3,4,6 sticks) plus a full 8 stick option. Any ddr3 should be fine, there is no such thing as "dual channel" or "triple channel" ram it is just a name for a 3 pack of ram (for triple channel slots) and a 2 pack (double) the ram in both packs is identical. So if you have 1366 now and go 2011 then all youll need to go full 4 channel is another stick of the same ram.
Yes, with any first out the door motherboard there is usually some issues, but not alwas. Then again it is probably best to be more certain before you commit large amounts of money with anything.

Yep. Thanks. With 1155 the mem config is going to be 2x2 and 2011 is going to be 4x4 thus quad. I see what you're saying about the ram though, just buy another stick and I'll have quad channel right? Good Info.
4 pack ram is going to cost a good amount of money.

Yes just buy another identical stick (same company, model etc.) and you're good to go quad channel.
I know that ddr3 prices are still ridiculous. It going to probably have a 3 at the begining...but maybe with the extra ram they are selling it shall go down in price...comeon ram price wars!

Yes just buy another identical stick (same company, model etc.) and you're good to go quad channel.
I know that ddr3 prices are still ridiculous. It going to probably have a 3 at the begining...but maybe with the extra ram they are selling it shall go down in price...comeon ram price wars!

Yes 4GB chips are still around 300 bucks.

I also have a question:

Well judging by your system, I'm not sure what upgrades you had in mind that would give you a significant real world performance increase? Granted you could be doing something that is heavily multithreaded and benefit from 6 cores or more ram (12gb).

Well judging by your system, I'm not sure what upgrades you had in mind that would give you a significant real world performance increase? Granted you could be doing something that is heavily multithreaded and benefit from 6 cores or more ram (12gb).

I was looking to get a six core, another set of ram and a LC loop. I'm going to wait for the 2011 instead.

Are you talking about these? There's sub $200 kits there.

4 GB RAM chips, 4X2 they all cost more than 300 bucks :eek:

My next upgrade will be a 32 NM Quad Core King (it has to be Sandy Bridge with LGA 1136 platform) having 8GB RAM, so that I can use it for high end gaming and for virtual PCs, Video Streaming and other server related stuffs.

Now using 4 slots of 2GB RAM is not good for OCing so it has to be a 4X2 GB Chip.

4 GB RAM chips, 4X2 they all cost more than 300 bucks :eek:

My next upgrade will be a 32 NM Quad Core King (it has to be Sandy Bridge with LGA 1136 platform) having 8GB RAM, so that I can use it for high end gaming and for virtual PCs, Video Streaming and other server related stuffs.

Now using 4 slots of 2GB RAM is not good for OCing so it has to be a 4X2 GB Chip.

The corsair ones are less than 190$. 2 times 4GB

So the LGA2011 cpus will be out before the end of the year? Is it likely that they will be the quad-core or do you think the hex-core ones will be out also?

Back