• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy better than a 920?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
1,399
I am sure this might been asked or covered but I will ask anyways cause I dont see a clear answer. Is it worth upgrading my Core i7 920 cpu to the SandyBridge? I am gathering I wont see any gains and been told my current setup (sig rig) will suffice for quite some time.
 
I'd expect your current overclocked CPU to be comparable to a 2500 running stock. I doubt game developers will be requiring anything higher than that for quite some time.

The cost per unit of processing power generally trends downwards over time so there is ltitle point upgrading until you actually have a requirement for it.
 
Yes, it's better, but IMO it's not worth upgrading from LGA 1366 unless you're doing it for some particular benefit. For GPU limited gaming? No. For general use, but not 100% CPU usage all the time DC? No.

Lots of i7 users in this poll seem to feel the same way by a wide margin over those i7 users who want to move to LGA 1155: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574399
 
At 4GHz on the 920 you would be wasting your money IMO, unless you can be sure to get 5GHz out of your new rig, and that would be a stretch...4.8GHz is looking easy from what we have seen and ASUS is saying that it has new BIOS coming that will make this an easier reality.
 
I keep saying this again and again. The real question is, "Is your current CPU still running great for you or not?" It doesn't matter if there is a new CPU being released. It doesn't matter if it is faster than what you have. What matters is that if your current CPU still runs great.

So if you feel that your OC 920 is really running slow for you, which I highly doubt, then by all means upgrade to SB. Otherwise, spend your money on other things besides computers.
 
BLASPHEMY!
Yeah, "good enough" really isn't the point for most people here.

I'd probably be more than happy with just an i5 in my main desktop. But hey, having fast stuff at somewhat affordable prices is one enjoyment of having money to spend. Or at least it's a geeky hobby.
 
You're better off waiting for the end of the year. Sandy is more for those of us who hadn't upgraded to Core i5/i7 yet.
 
The SB will be faster if overclocked and will consume significantly less power especially during idle times, which results in less noise from fans and from the air conditioner during summer.
 
Though SB has perked my interest, the numbers look really decent, I doubt I replace the current primary system. Maybe in a year. By then, who knows what else might be around.
 
What do you do with your computer? I wouldn't bother if you are gaming, your system is pretty stout as it is.
 
I would wait for Z68 chipset based boards if you care about the encoding acceleration features that are located in the graphics core.
 
Even if you decide to "upgrade" to SB 1155 from 1366, I wouldn't really call it an upgrade. You will gain CPU speed but you will lose memory bandwidth and PCI-e lanes.
 
I really think LGA1155 is a sidegrade to 1366 at this point in time rather than an upgrade.
 
I keep saying this again and again. The real question is, "Is your current CPU still running great for you or not?" It doesn't matter if there is a new CPU being released. It doesn't matter if it is faster than what you have. What matters is that if your current CPU still runs great.

So if you feel that your OC 920 is really running slow for you, which I highly doubt, then by all means upgrade to SB. Otherwise, spend your money on other things besides computers.

well said. i got mine clocked at only 3.3ghz and its still fine
 
I have a 920 at 3.8 and its by far more powerful than the vast majority of kit out there, and this is a couple of years old now! Personally, SandyBridge and 1155 may be the newest "mainstream" kit, coming after 1156 ironically, but I'm going to hold out for the true successor to Nahelem/Westmere which I am to understand is Q3 '11, socket 2011. This should be the new "workstation and enthusiast" successor to 1366 and I expect it to knock everything else out of the water just the way 1366 did at its debut, continuing several years!
 
I have a 920 at 3.8 and its by far more powerful than the vast majority of kit out there, and this is a couple of years old now! Personally, SandyBridge and 1155 may be the newest "mainstream" kit, coming after 1156 ironically, but I'm going to hold out for the true successor to Nahelem/Westmere which I am to understand is Q3 '11, socket 2011. This should be the new "workstation and enthusiast" successor to 1366 and I expect it to knock everything else out of the water just the way 1366 did at its debut, continuing several years!

I'd read the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

I'm planning to just OC my 920 more. To hell with buying a new mobo right now...:)
 
I'd expect your current overclocked CPU to be comparable to a 2500 running stock. I doubt game developers will be requiring anything higher than that for quite some time.

The cost per unit of processing power generally trends downwards over time so there is ltitle point upgrading until you actually have a requirement for it.

Hell no, his 920 running at 4ghz would smoke a stock 2500k.
 
Don't bother, not worth it, the 1366 is better than the 1155 in most cases. Triple memory channel, more PCI-E slots, I just wish Intel released a 1366 replacement first.
 
Don't bother, not worth it, the 1366 is better than the 1155 in most cases. Triple memory channel, more PCI-E slots, I just wish Intel released a 1366 replacement first.


Thats debatable. Very debatable with SB now. Triple channel offers almost next to nothing over the dual on SB, maybe 5% more tops, and that can be alleviated with diff memory speeds on SB.
 
Thats debatable. Very debatable with SB now. Triple channel offers almost next to nothing over the dual on SB, maybe 5% more tops, and that can be alleviated with diff memory speeds on SB.

Aren't the SB memory speeds very limited? 1366 is going to be the best enthusiast platform for this year still, and in the end of the year we get LGA2011 to replace it. Don't move from 1366 to 1155, it's a shitty move and a lateral move at that - it's not a real upgrade. Save your money for 2011 if you already have 1366.

Buy Gulftown if you're itching for something...
 
Back
Top