Sandbox Games - My Weakness

Defective

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about 4 hours into Assassin's Creed and I haven't even done the 2nd assassination yet. I did the first one pretty fast, but on the way to Jerusalem I started what I always do in any game that allows me freedom, I started to screw around. It took me an hour and a half to reach Jerusalem. I took it upon myself to assassinate every guard between the starting city and Jerusalem. I killed almost all of them with the hidden knife (this takes a while, especially when they are in groups). I already have the achievements for stealth kills and 100 kills without dying.

I end up doing this in almost any sandbox style game. In the GTA games, I spent over half the time just rampaging around the city driving cars off of things and seeing how long I could run from the police. In Bully I spent most of the time running around beating up kids, pulling fire alarms and pissing off the prefects. In Crackdown I spent probably about a good 2 hours just jumping around and collecting Agility and beating down random bad guys.

These games are like crack to me. I can't help myself. I am salivating over games like Prototype. Assassin's Creed is probably going to clock in at about 25 hours for me and 10 hours of that will have nothing to do with the story.

Is anyone else a sandbox addict?

Edit: Ack, I should have put this thread in the regular game section since Sandbox games are not just a console thing.

Morrowind and Oblivion were my first sandbox type of games. I really got into the wandering around and do whatever aspect of them. But I've noticed with other games like Assassin's Creed and Crackdown that I still have the "beat the game" mentality that I do with more linear kinds of games. I think with AC the problem is that except for collecting flags, there's not much to do when you're not doing missions. Sure, free running across rooftops is fun, but that's really all there is to do. With Crackdown there's more variety since you can drive, look for orbs, do different challenges, etc. But i found myself still trying to "beat" it (i still haven't defeated all those bosses). Maybe it just depends on the game. I haven't played a GTA game since GTA2, but i'm looking forward to GTA4. Hopefully I can get into the free roaming spirit when i comes out.

95% of my time in any of the GTA games has just been spent driving, shooting and running.

Quests? Objectives? Huh?.... :D

[T5K]thrasher;1031907708 said:
95% of my time in any of the GTA games has just been spent driving, shooting and running.

Quests? Objectives? Huh?.... :D

what about flying?

man i love GTA

What exactly is a "sandbox game"?

It's the catch-all term for games with a non-linear structure to them. You're able to go and do a variety of things at your leisure instead of being lead down a traditional "level" structure. The game usually doesn't "end" in the traditional sense, though there may be a narrative that you can follow within that open world.

I once had the privilege of watching Defective play Bully for two hours... And saw him accomplish absolutely nothing. Seriously, the guy dicks around in sandbox games more than anyone I have ever seen (and I'm pretty bad, too).

In two hours, I think he knocked out about 20 prefects, pulled 30 fire alarms, beat up about 300 students, and trashcanned about 25 others. That's it. I finally screamed at him to do something because I actually wanted to progress in the game after awhile.

I also like just messing around in open ended games. I would often find myself just running around the map picking peoples pockets in Oblivion for hours. In Crackdown, I spend most of my times just doing random stuff, like kicking cars into the ocean and blowing things up. And collecting orbs.

For some reason, I find these sorts of games to be really relaxing. Especially after a frustrating defeat in any multiplayer game, I go to a sandbox game to unwind.

For me I tend to screw around initially and then I actually play the game seriously...followed by another screw around savegame once I get powerful enough to really wreak havok.
My favorite old school "sandbox" title was Daggerfall. I did so many crazy things to the guards and merchants in that game that anytime I went anywhere I'd be chased by the entire legion of guards. Under your status it always listed me as "you are hated"

In Crackdown, I spend most of my times just doing random stuff, like kicking cars into the ocean and blowing things up. And collecting orbs.

For some reason, grabbing a sedan full of people and heaving it into the ocean never gets old.

Fuck, I just recently got a 360 because the allure of the best version of Assassin's Creed as well as getting to play Crackdown was too much for me, lol.

I'm eagerly anticipating Saints Row 2, Prototype, Infamous, GTA 4, Mercenaries 2, Bully:Scholarship Edition... it's going to be a great year for sandbox fans :D

Back