Samsung Syncmaster 275T RELEASED

My local Future Shop just received their 275ts this afternoon, so if the store has them ready for purchase, I plan on having one by the end of tonight.

After talking with a few people and doing some research on the 'net, all of my sources say that FS has a 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy, and that INCLUDES monitors, so I'm not quite sure where dipset4life got his information from.

Anyway, I'll double-check with the salespeople there, and if all goes well, I'll be up and running with this baby in a few hours. :)

All right. I'm returning this piece of shit tomorrow. Initial observations:

• Monitor is in desperate need of calibration out of the box... the 2707 produces a far more superior image fresh out of the packaging.
  • NO 1:1 PIXEL MAPPING AT 1080P
  • The analog inputs (Component, S-Video) are WORSE than the 2407 and 2707s. I didn't even know that was possible. No 1080p via component, either... just 720/1080i.
  • The digital scaler chip via DVI is garbage - considerably worse than the 2707s (ie. 720p content, or anything below native res). I'd go into detail, but I really don't know how to describe the effect I'm seeing... it's like the colour on all edges and lines "blends together", and the sharpness levels aren't quite right...
  • VGA is also inferior to the 2707; I'm not sure how to describe this, either, but everything looks "off". It's not just the lack of calibration, there's something else to it...

I also have a few pet peeves with the exterior design - the casing's a bit crummy and cheap-looking, and the monitor's adjustable arm doesn't seem to go as low as I would like it to.

Now I see why the 275t is so much cheaper than the 2707.

I haven't had much time to test it as a plain PC monitor via DVI, but it seems extremely comparable to the Dell in this regard. But considering I was planning on using it for different applications outside of PC use, I can safely say that this one's going back to the store without hesitation.

Man, what a dissapointment. Now I'm in a bit of a dilemma, since I honestly have no idea which monitor to purchase.

Some more impressions:

• Switching between different input sources is extremely slow (Around 4 seconds per selection), and rather clunky as well. But this is only noticable when you're rapidly switching between connections, as I've been the past hour or so.
  • Menu options appear to be quite extensive, and it's also very easy to use. It's not the prettiest interface, but it gets the job done.
  • After testing some additional 720p content on my PS3, I can safely say there's something messed up with the scaling process. Non-native-res content is, quite frankly, disgusting to look at. Jaggies and colour smearing galore.
  • Dynamic Contrast is a worthless feature - even for movies, it doesn't perform very adequately. Because you have no custom control over the brightness and contrast settings, everything displayed is waaaay too bright. I guess it's dependent on lighting conditions, but within my moderately-bright room, it was practically burning away my eyes.
  • The "black level" problem with the PS3? Well, it's there, which leads me to believe this is, in fact, a universal problem, given that I've witnessed it with virtually every monitor connected via HDMI-to-DVI. There's a "gamma" setting in the menu that can compensate for this (If only this was included with the 2707, too :( ), but its usefulness is negated by the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping.
  • No stuck or dead pixels, and the backlight uniformity is fantastic - just like the Dell.

So yeah, after a quick-&-dirty runthrough, as a PC monitor, the 275t seems to a very similar performer to the Dell 2707 (As far as I can tell, given that I haven't fully calibrated it). As a multimedia display, though, the 275t fails miserably. If you're planning to hook up your PS3 or 360 to this, by all means, LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. What that "something else" is, I have no idea, so if you guys have any suggestions...

:(

• The "black level" problem with the PS3? Well, it's there, which leads me to believe this is, in fact, a universal problem, given that I've witnessed it with virtually every monitor connected via HDMI-to-DVI. There's a "gamma" setting in the menu that can compensate for this (If only this was included with the 2707, too :( ), but its usefulness is negated by the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping.
Wrong.... The BenQ FP241W displayed perfect blacks via HDMI and HDMI-DVI cable

But thanks for your comments.... there i thought i had found my new monitor :(

Wrong.... The BenQ FP241W displayed perfect blacks via HDMI and HDMI-DVI cable

But thanks for your comments.... there i thought i had found my new monitor :(
Is that because the menu settings for the BenQ are capable of lowering the brightness levels down to a suitable level? I haven't seen anyone outright confirm that the BenQ has perfect blacks immediately after plugging in a PS3...

The amount of monitors that do seem affected, though, far outnumber the ones that don't. There was another display that seemed to break the pattern, I believe it was a Sceptre, but when I tried to prone a user about this issue, he didn't give me a very assertive response, so I couldn't draw a conclusion.

If the user has advanced brightness and gamma control settings with their display, then the issue is moot, but certain models don't have that kind of functionaliy, like the 2707. Now, if the 2707 had that extra "gamma" modifier like the 275t, then it would easily be the perfect display for multimedia use, but I guess there's always something getting in the way...

Now I see why the 275t is so much cheaper than the 2707.
It is? How much did you pay? I just did a quick search on froogle and it's nearly the same price as the Dell virtually everywhere. Definitely not the $999 retail price we were told to expect months ago.

It is? How much did you pay? I just did a quick search on froogle and it's nearly the same price as the Dell virtually everywhere. Definitely not the $999 retail price we were told to expect months ago.
When currency converted, I paid around $1080 US.

Is that because the menu settings for the BenQ are capable of lowering the brightness levels down to a suitable level? I haven't seen anyone outright confirm that the BenQ has perfect blacks immediately after plugging in a PS3...

The amount of monitors that do seem affected, though, far outnumber the ones that don't. There was another display that seemed to break the pattern, I believe it was a Sceptre, but when I tried to prone a user about this issue, he didn't give me a very assertive response, so I couldn't draw a conclusion.

If the user has advanced brightness and gamma control settings with their display, then the issue is moot, but certain models don't have that kind of functionality, like the 2707. Now, if the 2707 had that extra "gamma" modifier like the 275t, then it would easily be the perfect display for multimedia use, but I guess there's always something getting in the way...

The only things i did with the BenQ is install the drivers and adjust the brightness to 30 (this monitor can be uber bright :eek:). And for all the time i've checked the FP241W thread(stop about 1-2months ago) there was no sign of people with black problems. In fact this monitor has the best blacks i've seen in a long time.

The Scepters are garbage... If someone said the image quality was good, do not take that person in serious...

So is there anything wrong with this monitor if all I plan on using it for is PC gaming and watching movies on my PC? Is there 1:1 mapping via DVI?

Thanks.

How this compare to the Dell 27 inch lcd. Is it suppose to be better.
Thanks

elec999 : If you read the rest of the thread (or even posts on this page) you will see that it is not better than the Dell. Same panel, worse electronics and color calibration.

Skyviper: It should be fine for PC gaming - over DVI it will display its normal resolution correctly.

Im interested in this as a monitor and its performance as such.I could care less about the multiple inputs.

comments, reviews???

There's got to be someone here who bought it and still haven't talked about it :confused:

comments, reviews???

There's got to be someone here who bought it and still haven't talked about it :confused:

So many folks here were waiting for the release of the 275t,maybee they all bought the Dell instead !! :D

waiting for the 245T, the 275T is tempting but the 245T is due next month plus updates to Apple IPS's screens.

Why don't they talk about 1:1, Resizing and maintaining aspect ratio, expand to full screen scaling. Those with an ATI card will need such features.

I just saw this monitor at Best Buy(Canada, Montréal). Looks good, but I could only see it plugged via VGA and with B.B. publicity on it. So I cannot really judge about I.Q. but i noticed something that makes me doubt 1:1/aspect. The only options related to this were 16:9 and 4:3 .... so i'm not sure if 1:1 is possible, maybe just XXXX by 1200 (to make a 4:3 ratio)....:confused:

Im sorry to keep bumping this but it seems that this monitor has ben out for a few weeks now and it seems strange that for being anticipated that thier is practically no feedback from anyone. Ive read the reviews,but I take reviews only so far its the actual user feedbackthat is more pratical to take in. if someone has a 275t cold you let us know what your impressions are?

Best Buy Canada is having an online sale this weekend with 10% off on all 20"+ monitors. The price on the 275T is $1,079.99 which is a really good deal. At this price, is there any reason to pick the 2707 over this? Otherwise I might bite the bullet and order the monitor before the sale is over.

I found this little piece of info over at Widescreen Gaming Forum regarding pixel mapping on the 275T...

This was one thing that swayed me to the 2707WFP from the 275T. The 275T doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping. It offers only two aspect choices: Wide or 4:3. So, if you want to play a game in a 4:3 resolution and not have it stretched, you have to switch the monitor to 4:3. Once you are done, you have to switch back to Wide. With 1:1 pixel mapping this isn't necessary. The monitor automatically detects and configures the proper aspect for you.

I hate how people say a monitor is a piece of shit because it doesn't allow you to hookup an xbox 360 or a PS3 and be perfect..

To those that hold this standard to monitors, STFU.

Christ, if they were sold as multimedia displays, sure, bitch, moan etc.. but don't say Dell/Samsung makes a bad product because you can't do what you ASSUMED you could do with it.. They never advertise HOOKUP YOUR GAME CONSOLE TO YOUR PC MONITOR!!!..

Ontop of all that, the samsung 275t is the same damn panel as the 2707..the only differences are POSSIBLY the scaler chip, the bezel, and the inputs (and the inputs are the same)

The only reason I look at the 275t negatively is because its priced higher than the 2707.... Being that its not a rebadge like the dell.. you'd assume it would be cheaper.

And to the poster who said the monitor was crap.. when he didn't even calibrate.....I won't even comment.. I'm sure everyone can assume what can be thought about that idea... to own the monitor, not calibrate it, admit he didn't even use it for PC use.. and then bash the hell out of it.

If you want the best performance for a video game system, buy a fucking tv.

Christ, if they were sold as multimedia displays, sure, bitch, moan etc.. but don't say Dell/Samsung makes a bad product because you can't do what you ASSUMED you could do with it.. They never advertise HOOKUP YOUR GAME CONSOLE TO YOUR PC MONITOR!!!..
This argument is brought up every time a monitor doesn't include aspect ratio controls, and it makes just as little sense now as it did all the other times. How can you possibly say this monitor isn't intended to be used as a "multimedia display" when it includes composite, s-video, and component connectors? Or did Samsung just include them with the intention of them never being used? :rolleyes: In any case it's not a question of what devices this monitor is "intended" to be used with. The bottom line is that half of the inputs don't have the bandwidth to be run at the monitor's native resolution, which means that without a feature like aspect ratio controls you have NO CHOICE but to have a distorted picture over those inputs. As far as I'm concerned, that renders these inputs virtually useless, which means you're basically paying for extra "features" that can never be used properly.

Now I agree with you that Samsung shouldn't be at fault if, say, a video game console doesn't work properly with it because the problem is on the console's end. That's a no-brainer. But to say that it doesn't matter if the inputs that could be used with a video game console or other devices don't work properly because this isn't a "fucking TV" makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering that monitors that cost far less than this can do these things properly.

If it did include the ultimate solution/hardware multimedia scaling it would probably be like 2 grand.

I hate how people say a monitor is a piece of shit because it doesn't allow you to hookup an xbox 360 or a PS3 and be perfect..

To those that hold this standard to monitors, STFU.

Ontop of all that, the samsung 275t is the same damn panel as the 2707..the only differences are POSSIBLY the scaler chip, the bezel, and the inputs (and the inputs are the same)

The only reason I look at the 275t negatively is because its priced higher than the 2707.... Being that its not a rebadge like the dell.. you'd assume it would be cheaper.

And to the poster who said the monitor was crap.. when he didn't even calibrate.....I won't even comment.. I'm sure everyone can assume what can be thought about that idea... to own the monitor, not calibrate it, admit he didn't even use it for PC use.. and then bash the hell out of it.

If you want the best performance for a video game system, buy a fucking tv.

This argument is brought up every time a monitor doesn't include aspect ratio controls, and it makes just as little sense now as it did all the other times. How can you possibly say this monitor isn't intended to be used as a "multimedia display" when it includes composite, s-video, and component connectors? Or did Samsung just include them with the intention of them never being used? :rolleyes: In any case it's not a question of what devices this monitor is "intended" to be used with. The bottom line is that half of the inputs don't have the bandwidth to be run at the monitor's native resolution, which means that without a feature like aspect ratio controls you have NO CHOICE but to have a distorted picture over those inputs. As far as I'm concerned, that renders these inputs virtually useless, which means you're basically paying for extra "features" that can never be used properly.

Now I agree with you that Samsung shouldn't be at fault if, say, a video game console doesn't work properly with it because the problem is on the console's end. That's a no-brainer. But to say that it doesn't matter if the inputs that could be used with a video game console or other devices don't work properly because this isn't a "fucking TV" makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering that monitors that cost far less than this can do these things properly.

IMO... Yes, 1:1, SHOULD always be on monitors with these high of resolution. Because to run games at this resolution will always need you to have an up to date and pricy GPU. With 1:1 you can play at a lower resolution without loosing the native resolution quality. Yes I know NVIDIA drivers can do this, but monitor's manufacturers should also be aware of this and enable it...

AV / S-Video : Wide / 16:9 / Zoom1 / Zoom2 / 4:3
Digital / Component : Wide / 16:9 / 4:3

But the monitor does do proper 1:1 with 1920x1080 and 16:9? No overscan etc? <- 360 gaming

Any information on 480i/576i and 480p handling on component? Mainly concerning the PS2 and the Wii.
I believe the PS2 outputs anamorphic 640x480 or 720x576 for widescreen depending on the signal type(PAL50/PAL60/NTSC p/i), but the Wii does the somewhat nicer 854x480p.
The 16:9 and 4:3 should definitely help with the PS2's non-square pixels.

I'm currently running the PS2 through a TV card(S-Video) and DScaler which does some nice deinterlacing and post-processing.
Wondering if the 275T and component would result in a better picture. I suspect that with interlaced signals the DScaler approach might result in better quality compared to the 275T's scaler since component would only slightly improve the color information(though Composite->S-Video was quite noticeable) versus DScalers magic on the S-Video signal.
480p on the other hand carries twice as much information and has the benefit of component color information.

I picked up this monitor 2 days ago. Has anyone else noticed that there is a vertical band on the right side of the screen where blacks are appear lighter (not as dark) than the rest of the screen? I've noticed this only shows up when I use the DVI input on the screen. It is hard to notice unless you are on a completely black screen, and even then it is hard to notice, but it is there. If anyone else has this monitor hooked up using DVI can you test the default windows screensaver and look for a lighter band on the right side of the screen? The vertical band disappears if I use the VGA input, so it does not appear to be an issue with the panel. I've tested it on 4 systems and the issue shows up when DVI is used with this monitor on any of them. The issue is very hard to see and it is only noticeable on a completely black screen.

Anyways if anyone else has this monitor can you test to see if you can spot this? I need to know if this is a product flaw or if I have a defective unit. If it is defective I can exchange it for another, but if it is a product flaw then I will have to get the Dell 2707.

dude both sides should be lighter and its a side effect of PVA technology, not a defect and there is no solution. This is the second reason I got rid of my 2405 and 2407, the first reason being input lag.

It's not a gradient band from non uniform lighting or off angle viewing. It is a straight pixel for pixel vertical band that makes about 10% of the right hand side lighter. And it only occurs using DVI, not VGA or any of the other inputs. But it is only lighter by a small amount so much so that you have to look very carefully.

In terms of uniformity of blacks with the exception of that band I would say it is better than my old Dell WFP 3007 (IPS) which has a violet tinge on the sides due to IPS technology.

Anyways if anyone else actually has this monitor can you look for a lighter band on the right side when hooked up using DVI on a completely black screen.

Well I just exchanged it for another one and the first one I got was indeed defective. My new monitor is pixel perfect, no light band on the right hand side.

Back