Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22"

Here's a review in chinese translated by google. It's in funny english but you can make some sense out of it and understand the monitor is very good overall with great colors and gradients and is plenty fast for games.

225BW Review

Pshh the gradients sucked. I have an acer 22" now it it's better for gradients IMO.

Personally I think it just varies from monitor to monitor. The technology just seems to be very unstable with any brand. I'm to the point where I'm ready to go pull my old pos fading flickering crt from the basement and be done with it. If I wanted problems I would have stuck with that crt.

No idea how to even go about that tbh lol. I will if there's an easy way.

Well just to update, I ordered a Dell 2407 today and will take this back to BestBuy when it gets here. BestBuy is clearing the 225bw out of stock and only had 2 others left, 1 was an open box retaped though. Who knows if the other one is still there. At $350, being a named brand and at 22" I doubt it.

TBH though this 225bw aside from the buzzing is near flawless. No backbleed and great picture for the price. I'm bummed, well at least until that Dell gets here(at twice the cost though :( ) :D

No idea how to even go about that tbh lol. I will if there's an easy way.

Well just to update, I ordered a Dell 2407 today and will take this back to BestBuy when it gets here. BestBuy is clearing the 225bw out of stock and only had 2 others left, 1 was an open box retaped though. Who knows if the other one is still there. At $350, being a named brand and at 22" I doubt it.

TBH though this 225bw aside from the buzzing is near flawless. No backbleed and great picture for the price. I'm bummed, well at least until that Dell gets here(at twice the cost though :( ) :D

If you have a cheapy pc mic you can buy at any dollar store for 99 cents,use that,and record into WMP 9/10/11....... at like 128 or so....tia,if not no worries.... I'm saving up for the 2407 myself.Its been on sale up here in Canada for 699 for almost ever.I can get coupons for 10 or 15% off pretty easy as i know a fellow who works for them here in town.Once I have 550+ in cash saved I will grab a few coupons and grab it,with a extended 5 year warranty.

Has every samsung or LCD that BUZZZZZ? My 930BF at dark brightnes has it i think.

Has someone the samsung 930BF & 225BW in compare? (I have the 930BF but would like to go to 225BW, BUT IT SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RESPONCE IN GAMES, so no ghousting like i hav eno ghousting at all in my 930bf!?)
Tnx in advance.

If you have a cheapy pc mic you can buy at any dollar store for 99 cents,use that,and record into WMP 9/10/11....... at like 128 or so....tia,if not no worries.... I'm saving up for the 2407 myself.Its been on sale up here in Canada for 699 for almost ever.I can get coupons for 10 or 15% off pretty easy as i know a fellow who works for them here in town.Once I have 550+ in cash saved I will grab a few coupons and grab it,with a extended 5 year warranty.

Good deal. I have no doubts that the Dell will be nice and will hopefully treat me good for the next 5 years or so. I'm just hoping that it's the latest revision that gets shipped.

Yea, if I had a mic laying around I would record it for you. It's loud though, I'm nearly 32" away from the monitor and have absolutly no problem hearing it. Matter of fact I can hear it on the other side of the room(10 feet away). Definitly not livable.

Has every samsung or LCD that BUZZZZZ? My 930BF at dark brightnes has it i think.

Has someone the samsung 930BF & 225BW in compare? (I have the 930BF but would like to go to 225BW, BUT IT SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RESPONCE IN GAMES, so no ghousting like i hav eno ghousting at all in my 930bf!?)
Tnx in advance.

Its an lcd. You have ghosting, you simply dont see it. Some people do, some dont.

I see it, but it is so low, that it's totaly playable!
And I'm now afraid off, that the 225BW maibe has more ghosting than the 930BF, a little more ghosting and it would start disturbing.

I have a 930b,and have played dozens of 3d games on it,and have played FEAR on a 225BW and noticed no ghosting at all.

Samsung monitors are realiable and sturdy. Although I did get a few stuck pixels but my 930b is still running great with little to no problems at all.

Just picked mine up, very very happy with it. As mentioned it has a little bleed top and bottom but most of the time you can't even tell.

No dead pixels, stand works great and no books needed and since I can raise it I can fit my center speaker underneath.

This site has been mentioned before I'm sure (hires 1680x1050 wallpapers), but there's on pick on it that blows me away.
http://interfacelift.com/dl/wallpaper/01084_attraction_1680x1050.jpg

If you view it in a window it won't map properly and look like crap, but save it and put it on your background/wallpaper at 1680x1050 and for me yellow, black, and blue looks 3D. with the yellow being on top, black is a bit and blue comes up (that lower left stuff). Just amazing. Anyway, great other pics there too for your new mon ;)

Cheers
T

Somebody told me that the 930BF (samsung) is at default 1280x1024 at 75Hz and than if u have the samsung 225BW at 1680x1050 it is 60Hz, so it provides movement unsharpening(bluri). If u set it to 65Hz it should had less movement unscharpening.

This i didn't hear before anywhere, is this true? Do you guys set your 225BW at higher Hz?
I have think that DVI is always 60Hz.

Mine has been set at 60 with no issues that I have noticed. I looked to see if I could switch it in the properties tab and it only allowed 60.

Yea, except for the buzz and it being pretty featureless this monitor has been quite exceptional. Very, very minimal backbleed(becasue of 8bit TN-III Samsung Panel?) and great colors which lead to very little adjustment fooling around. Which was hard to say about the other brands I tried.

Like I said earlier it's a shame that it buzzes as I most likely would have kept this. I would have exchanged it except BB only had a few instock and arn't carrying it any more. I'd assume becasue there's a new model on the horizon maybe with better stats?

Anyways as it is my Dell 24" actually arrives today. Far quicker then what Dell orginally estimated with it arriving on the 19th. So I will be able to test then side by side. I'm a little worried that the Samsung will give the Dell a run for its money at half the cost lol. Then again that may be crazy talk due to not having the coffee flowing through the vains yet :D

Like I said earlier it's a shame that it buzzes as I most likely would have kept this. I would have exchanged it except BB only had a few instock and arn't carrying it any more. I'd assume becasue there's a new model on the horizon maybe with better stats?

Yeah this buzzing is bad!

I'm also interesting if samsungs putting a new 22" widescreen, gaming, nice, thin lcd arround Marz/April 2007? I like the design of the 225BW, for me its the best and the abiliti tu adjust height!

Hi Tyr-Sog, I also has the same buzzing problem with a samsung 203b (20" 4:3) and if you look at the LG204 thread, other people are having the same problem.....

I'm still looking for a large screen display which is silent to use.

Mine has been set at 60 with no issues that I have noticed. I looked to see if I could switch it in the properties tab and it only allowed 60.

Yea, except for the buzz and it being pretty featureless this monitor has been quite exceptional. Very, very minimal backbleed(becasue of 8bit TN-III Samsung Panel?) and great colors which lead to very little adjustment fooling around. Which was hard to say about the other brands I tried.

Anyways as it is my Dell 24" actually arrives today. Far quicker then what Dell orginally estimated with it arriving on the 19th. So I will be able to test then side by side. I'm a little worried that the Samsung will give the Dell a run for its money at half the cost lol. Then again that may be crazy talk due to not having the coffee flowing through the vains yet :D

Hey Everyone,

Just looking at a few of the later pics and i cant really see evidence of the "backlight bleed".

Is it really as bad as people make out or more fuss than its worth?

cheers,

JakReloaded

Hi Tyr-Sog, I also has the same buzzing problem with a samsung 203b (20" 4:3) and if you look at the LG204 thread, other people are having the same problem.....

I'm still looking for a large screen display which is silent to use.
From searching around I can say that almost every brand lcd can have buzzing problems. No matter how good, how expensive or what size the monitor is, there is always one or two bad apples that slip by. Even some Dells 3007WFP and Apple cinema displays have buzzing issues. I guess this is one of those one in a thousand chance things, you have to be extremely unlucky to get one lol.

But this problem may be more widespread because many people have computers loud enough to drown out the buzzing sound. Also many non-techie people probably don't even know they can adjust the brightness on their lcd and live with the blinding default 100% brightness.

Congrats on the 2407 arriving !! :) Can you please,please,please,post some side by side pics of the two running a few things ? tia,if its not too much trouble :) I am sure others here would also appreciate it as well.

From searching around I can say that almost every brand lcd can have buzzing problems. No matter how good, how expensive or what size the monitor is, there is always one or two bad apples that slip by. Even some Dells 3007WFP and Apple cinema displays have buzzing issues. I guess this is one of those one in a thousand chance things, you have to be extremely unlucky to get one lol.

But this problem may be more widespread because many people have computers loud enough to drown out the buzzing sound. Also many non-techie people probably don't even know they can adjust the brightness on their lcd and live with the blinding default 100% brightness.

I going to be very disappointed then.... my research indicates that other people also had problems with the 203B buzzing backlight, so I think its a fundamental design problem, not a single faulty unit.

It seems a LCD, but most samsung problem? (i talked to a lcd seller and he says that "every second" lcd can buzz. It's classified as "normal", even not repairable?)

Congrats on the 2407 arriving !! :) Can you please,please,please,post some side by side pics of the two running a few things ? tia,if its not too much trouble :) I am sure others here would also appreciate it as well.

Aw sorry, I took it back that night after the Dell came in lol. I can say for certain though the price difference is justifiable. The pictures are on two different levels and it's easy to see the differences in the two different panels. Well I say justifiable, not so sure it's worth twice the cost of the 22" though. 22" for most of everyone would be the best choice for sure.

Unfortuanly the Dell is being exchanged becuase of backlight bleed flaring out in the top right corner. Enough to were it discolors dark scenes and reaches in to movies and games. Also there's a stuck pixel which I most likely would have just lived with. But with two issues I have to return it. In my books $700 is still a lot of cash to have a couple of problems.

That said, I'm exhausted and done with monitors for 5 years. Dell 24" it is!:D

Just a question, anyone cleaned up their panel yet? i got a dirt stain on the panel, and on the instructions they dont specify if i can clean it up with just a wet cloth or somethin.

Personally, I cut two squares out of a cotton t-shirt and dampen one, wring it out entirely, and use the other square to make sure its completely dry when your done. A gentle hand with a cotton tee wont cause you any troubles.

Some perfer to use distilled water although I haven't found this to be a personal requirement. Stay away from chemicals and those alcohol pads will cause a mess.

Meant to post these earlier in case anyone was interested, but just now got around to posting them. These pics were taken from HD programming displayed on the 225BW via my Scientific Atlanta HD/DVR cable box running 720p. Not too shabby. Not quite as impressive as my 42" Samsung DLP TV running in 720p, but still very nice just the same.

CometHD.jpg

HorseHD.jpg

Personally, I cut two squares out of a cotton t-shirt and dampen one, wring it out entirely, and use the other square to make sure its completely dry when your done. A gentle hand with a cotton tee wont cause you any troubles.

Some perfer to use distilled water although I haven't found this to be a personal requirement. Stay away from chemicals and those alcohol pads will cause a mess.

Thx. Did that, it´s all clean. :cool:

So how does this compare to the scepre x22wg? would you suggest this one over that for gaming?

I use the Monster ScreenClean package you can get at electronic stores. It is for LCD, Plasma, etc. Works good.

So how does this compare to the scepre x22wg? would you suggest this one over that for gaming?

they are pretty similar. i believe the sceptre has more inputs and 1:1 scaling maybe?
i'm not positive on the scaling though...

i would just get whichever one is cheaper personally.

Ok, so just to be clear, is does this support 1:1 scaling?

i heard you can do it with your video card, how does that work?

The 225BW does not do scaling of any kind. It only supports stretch to fit. Software scaling at 1:1 can be done though with your PC drivers (nVidia supports this feature). But if you plan to hook up a device which doesn't have any scaling controls like a 360, then the images will stretch to fit the screen (only slight vertical stretching though).

Some people said that when you have to software do it there was a great performance decrease, is that true?

Can I get some opinions on this backlight bleed in my two 225BW's? To me it looks absolutely terrible - about the worst I have every seen. That along with the "buzz" in one of the monitors has me almost sure to file a warranty claim, I just want to see what other people think of the backlight bleed.

Samsung 225BW #1
225BW_backlight_1.jpg

Samsung 225BW #2
225BW_backlight_2.jpg

It looks like i have a dead pixel but i dont. (damn u kodak z740!)

But my light bleed is not bad at all!

no its not bad... There are alot of people that got good ones.

My brown boxed version made August 06, has minimal Bleed also. Very happy with it.

I just bought this monitor yesterday and I LOVE it. It replaced a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF, which is a 19 inch flat screen CRT, for anybody wondering. It was a pretty decent monitor, but the text had started to get a little fuzzy, so it was time for a replacement. Office Max had this 225BW on sale for 349.99 and I had a gift card from Christmas, so I ended up paying less then that, even after sales tax.

I still haven't tweaked the settings, and got it looking the way I want it to, but it's a great monitor in my opinion. There is the slight black-light bleed, which has been brought up already, but it's not too bad, and I only see it when I first boot up the computer, or if I put a movie in... but I don't watch a whole lot of movies on my PC anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

I played a little Counter Strike last night, and it looked great. I didn't notice any ghosting, and some of the effects in the game stood out a lot more then my old monitor. I don't remember what it's called, but there's that adjustment that happens, when you go from a dark area (say a tunnel), and then go back out into the sunlight, where it makes it look like your eyes are adjusting to the light. I notice that a lot more on this monitor, compared to my 955DF, and it's pretty cool.

On newegg.com I noticed some people say their monitor has a buzzing sound when it's powered on. I hear NOTHING, so that's nice. Overall I'm very glad I picked up this monitor. I have my PC hooked up to the DVI input (of course), so now I just need to get an Xbox 360, and hook it up to the VGA, so I can be in gaming heaven on this thing. ;)

Back