• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung shows off 30" LCD

harshw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
133
Hexus has some info on Samsung's new 30" LCD

Samsung305B.JPG




What is the panel technology used in Dell 30" ?
 
apcor said:
Me Likes alot! Want to hear price and compare to 3007.

The panel used in the Dell is a LG.Philips S-IPS panel. The one used in Samsung 305T is a S-PVA panel. IIRC, the S-PVA technology produces better blacks, more contrast and more accurate color than S-IPS

If this is so ( really someone should review 3007 & 305 T asap ) then I might splurge on the Samsung, even if it is a bit costlier...
 
harshw said:
The panel used in the Dell is a LG.Philips S-IPS panel. The one used in Samsung 305T is a S-PVA panel. IIRC, the S-PVA technology produces better blacks, more contrast and more accurate color than S-IPS

If this is so ( really someone should review 3007 & 305 T asap ) then I might splurge on the Samsung, even if it is a bit costlier...

Great but what about the no hdcp support? How do you think that will effect anything for future use? :confused:
 
harshw said:
The panel used in the Dell is a LG.Philips S-IPS panel. The one used in Samsung 305T is a S-PVA panel. IIRC, the S-PVA technology produces better blacks, more contrast and more accurate color than S-IPS

If this is so ( really someone should review 3007 & 305 T asap ) then I might splurge on the Samsung, even if it is a bit costlier...

That does not hold true of you are talking about modern IPS panels. NEC just showed how good IPS is now.
 
Do you think this will mean that dell will have to put their 30" on sale?
*wishes very hard* :D
 
Yeah, LGP panels suck. I had a 2005FPW which has one and the blacks sucked. Lots of banding in dark colors. PVA is MUCH better. 2405 uses a PVA panel (made by Samsung IIRC), so get that or an actual Sammy monitor.
 
Do you think then that dell might start making a new version of the 3007 using samsung panels then?
 
Probably not as most people don't know the difference anyway, nor does Dell really care - they'll get plenty of sales either way.
 
This monitor looks awesome, a lot better than the dell IMO. As for HDCP, I don't really care about that crap.
 
Seriously though, what about this no hdcp support thing? Why do you think samsung did not include it?
 
does the 244T c/w HDCP support?

Cut to the chase, what would be the draw backs in the future of not having HDCP support?
 
Happy Hopping said:
does the 244T c/w HDCP support?

Cut to the chase, what would be the draw backs in the future of not having HDCP support?

This is an exert from FiringSquads HDCP monitor review

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page2.asp

HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and it’s an Intel-initiated program that was developed with Silicon Image. Manufacturers participating in the program must pay an annual fee of $15,000 and a device fee of $0.005. This is a content protection system as opposed to a copy protection system. Essentially, this protocol ensures that high-definition content such as HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and copy protected MPEG-2 is encrypted at every stage of the transmission. All HDCP does is guarantee that premium high-definition content can be output over a digital display interface such as HDMI or DVI. A lot of information can be found from Microsoft’s own documents on the Protected Video Pathway - Output Protection Management (PVP-OPM).

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/output_protect.mspx

Although DRM clearly has implementation issues, we all must recognize that it is a “necessary evil” of the industry. Regardless of your personal stance on DRM, the content industry (i.e. Hollywood) refuses to offer unprotected high-definition video content. That’s the end of the story. They own the rights to their movies, and they can do what they choose. They set the rules. If you want to “fight” the adoption of HDCP, the only solution you’ll have is to fight with your wallet, and not buy any HDCP-products (which would include practically every HDTV on the market with an HDMI connector) or run your own movie studio. Otherwise, you’re going to be limited to DVD quality.

One of the problems that Hollywood has with PCs is that while it’s technically challenging to hack a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, it’s much easier to hack a PC running HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. At one point, the content industry would have liked to have prohibited playback of these devices on the PC. From Hollywood’s perspective, there’s little incentive to support high-definition video on the PC.

Microsoft on the other hand believes that there’s a clear role for the PC in multimedia. With software like Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, and Apple’s own Front Row, it’s clear that a desktop computer can work as a media hub. It’s much easier to time-shift television when you can take advantage of the CPU, GPU, and HDD you already have in your PC. When you buy a dedicated HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, you have to buy a H.264 decoder. On the other hand, when you go with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, your gaming GPU and CPU prevent the need for extra H.264 hardware.

Without HDCP, you will only be able to output premium content of analog connections. In the case of VGA or high-definition component video, PVP-OPM will either constrict (decrease resolution) or completely disable output. Relevant quotes from Microsoft’s article include:

“It is strongly recommended that YPbPr not be promoted to users as a connection method to HD displays—customers will be unhappy when the PVP-OPM component is required to tell the driver to constrict or even turn off HD analog YPbPr outputs.”

“There have been some successes in getting content owners to make some allowances for [analog VGA]. Consumers would certainly be unhappy if it were immediately outlawed; so instead, many content owners are requiring that its resolution be constricted when certain types of premium content are being played. Eventually they may require that analog VGA outputs be turned off completely; but for the moment, it is possible to provide the necessary level of protection by constricting the information content.”
 
Coldtronius, so if I don't watch any HD-DVD or blue ray dvd movie from my PC output it to my Samsung 30, then there is no big loss to me then?

Also, does any of the Samsung 24" has HDCP support?
 
I'm actually amazed that a modern LCD won't have HDCP support... this would make it worth less, IMHO.
I am thinking of going with a Sammy when I decide to get a new display for the PS3, but no HDCP is an instant turn off.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did all of that talking before clicking the link and now I realize it's "just" a PC monitor and not really an HDTV. It may be awhile before PC LCDs start showing up with HDCP.
 
I have no desire to watch any kind of HD content on my PC. Thats reserved for my home entertainment system, so its a negligent loss if a monitor doens't have HDCP support like my new VX2025wm.

Let me know when game developers start doing proprietary video support crap, then i'll be concerned.
 
vaxick said:
That does not hold true of you are talking about modern IPS panels. NEC just showed how good IPS is now.


Maybe the new S-IPS from NEC is good. But the one used in the Dell 3007FWP is bound to have the same problems as the S-IPS technology used in the 2005FPW. Low contrast and horrible black levels. Which is why I want the Samsung ! :)
 
Gah! And I was so looking forward to getting the Samsung 30"-er. They blew a really nice opportunity. Only a single DVI input, and no HDCP. I friggn hate DRM with a passion, but looking realistically, I want to be able to play HDTV content on my screen in all its glory. I can't believe Dell has it and Samsung won't :mad: :mad: :mad:
 
pawstar said:
Gah! And I was so looking forward to getting the Samsung 30"-er. They blew a really nice opportunity. Only a single DVI input, and no HDCP. I friggn hate DRM with a passion, but looking realistically, I want to be able to play HDTV content on my screen in all its glory. I can't believe Dell has it and Samsung won't :mad: :mad: :mad:

cause they iz teh dummeee!!! :mad:
 
No HDCP means no future value. I'd stick with the 3007 alone for that reason.
 
bennetvu said:
What's wrong with a single DVI input? Does it degrades the quality or what?

It doesn't degrade the quality but the value of the screen. Its a pretty hefty investment as far as monitors go. When I get the 30"er, I won't be getting a separate TV due to cost and space limitations. A good deal of folks including myself want to hook up all our entertainment gadgets (a combination of computer, (hd/blu)dvd, cable tuner, satellite tuner, TiVO, Xbox, etc etc etc) to a single monitor.

Now I wish I have gotten the Dell 30"er when it was for sale for $1600 CAD during that one day sale thing. I gambled on holding of for the Samsung due to the fact that they use an SPVA panel which would be of more importance to me for photoshop/graphic stuff. But now its $2300 CAD :(
 
pawstar said:
It doesn't degrade the quality but the value of the screen. Its a pretty hefty investment as far as monitors go. When I get the 30"er, I won't be getting a separate TV due to cost and space limitations. A good deal of folks including myself want to hook up all our entertainment gadgets (a combination of computer, (hd/blu)dvd, cable tuner, satellite tuner, TiVO, Xbox, etc etc etc) to a single monitor.

Now I wish I have gotten the Dell 30"er when it was for sale for $1600 CAD during that one day sale thing. I gambled on holding of for the Samsung due to the fact that they use an SPVA panel which would be of more importance to me for photoshop/graphic stuff. But now its $2300 CAD :(

The problem with most displays that let you hook up everything from your toaster to a dvd player is that outside of the DVI/VGA input, everything else is more or less an afterthought.
The video inputs on the dell 2405 and 2005 are in my experience, crap. They can barely de-interlace their way out of a wet paper bag and whatever scaling method they use for the video side is completely different from the VGA/DVI side. With the video scaling producing disjointed vertical bands running the length of the screen. Yes the inputs are useable, however they don't come even close to that of most HDTVs or an offboard scaler. They are almost doing you a favor not including them :) .

I have no big preference with PVA or IPS, however i'll say that comparing the 3007(SIPS) to the 2405(PVA) the biggest difference wasn't black levels or contrast, but viewing angles (with the SIPS being better).
 
No HDCP? I'm glad I went with the Dell 3007.

Although the better blacks and color reproduction sounds good... And HDCP will likely be cracked. Ah well, I'm happy with my current monster. :D
 
weemies said:
No HDCP? I'm glad I went with the Dell 3007.

Although the better blacks and color reproduction sounds good... And HDCP will likely be cracked. Ah well, I'm happy with my current monster. :D

Actually it already has been with that German dongle thing. The problem lies in the fact that the keys used in the cracks will just be revoked.
 
pawstar said:
Gah! And I was so looking forward to getting the Samsung 30"-er. They blew a really nice opportunity. Only a single DVI input, and no HDCP. I friggn hate DRM with a passion, but looking realistically, I want to be able to play HDTV content on my screen in all its glory. I can't believe Dell has it and Samsung won't :mad: :mad: :mad:

what's DRM again?
 
Lot of outdated opinions being thrown around about s-ips here. Take a look at behardware.com's new review of the 20" NEC for an idea on just how much has improved with ips tech since the 2005fpw launch. Even the "16ms" speed compares to 2ms rated tn panels. Pretty wicked if you ask me.
 
Still S-PVA not exactly good with the lag issue, IMO S-IPS is a better choice even if the colours are slightly worse although 24" versions dont exist.... yet...
 
FitzRoy said:
Lot of outdated opinions being thrown around about s-ips here. Take a look at behardware.com's new review of the 20" NEC for an idea on just how much has improved with ips tech since the 2005fpw launch. Even the "16ms" speed compares to 2ms rated tn panels. Pretty wicked if you ask me.

I agree that the NEW S-IPS panels are good. But we're talking Dell 3007 v/s Samsung 305T. And the new S-IPS panels dont exactly help in that debate ... do we know if Dell's 30" panel is based on an improved S-IPS version ? Until we have a proper review of the Samsung & Dell, we won't really know. Which is why I am looking forward to reviews, the price really is not so much of an issue. But if I am spending 1500GBP on a monitor, I would expect proper contrast and black levels !
 
FitzRoy said:
Lot of outdated opinions being thrown around about s-ips here. Take a look at behardware.com's new review of the 20" NEC for an idea on just how much has improved with ips tech since the 2005fpw launch. Even the "16ms" speed compares to 2ms rated tn panels. Pretty wicked if you ask me.
That's 6ms, not 16. Huge difference :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top