Samsung SA850 on PLS 24" - Test and Review (what you have been waiting for)

My monitor just arrived from Amazon. Chose the free shipping and it got here in three business days.The box looks mint. I guess I'll crack it open as soon as I can.

Let us know how it looks! I'm just about to order one myself.

I decided to return my ips and got this one today. I bought the 24" one, and yes the back light bleeding is really bad, other than that it's really a lot more better than my ips. Make my eye so much more comfortable, and no ghosting at all from bf3 game play. Color accuracy is good and the white screen uniformity is near perfect. How do you guys think about the bleeding though? Would the back light bleeding affect anything if I use the monitor in a well lit room?

dsc0394xl.jpg

Last edited:
Well I unboxed and plugged the new monitor in. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen from any monitor. The bummer is the backlight bleed is quite bad. :(

The lower right corner looks like loapp's. If I gently squeeze the lower bezel, it also changes the nature of the bleed. My $350 Samsung TN 240HD is built much, much better, with much less bleed although the stand blows. The stand on the 850 is awesome.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. The IQ on the 850 is mindblowing, but the bleed sucks for movies. I don't notice it when editing photos or surfing. Oh, there were also two nice smudges on the actual panel, and what looked to be a bit of glue. I used my fingernail and kleenex to remove most of it, although at certain angles with the monitor off you can still see it. Not sure what my next step is. If the bleed doesn't improve in a few days, I'll probably return it and cease pursuing a new monitor for the time being.

Last edited:
The bleed won't improve on these at all. If it bothers you now, return it now.

The bleed on mine is the same as loapp38's except I only have it bottom right and top, not bottom left as well. It never changed or improved. Too bad.

This is such a beautiful monitor. That said, I still prefer modern TN for text. There's something less volatile about the letters. But my images look much better on the 850. The bleed has improved a bit, to be honest. It's not gone, but it's reduced. I guess I was watching movies incorrectly too. They were showing up thinner than 1920x1080, so I chose "16:9" ratio in VLC for the HD ones and you can't even really notice the bleed, as it reduces the black area. I hope this is the right way to watch 1920x1080, lol. I've never had anything but 1920x200's ans just assumed that super narrow ratio was correct. I don't think it is now that I've adjusted it.

My 7D images look 3D on the 850. They look like they're dead on the TN. But it is that "deadness" on the TN that makes the text superior.

Last edited:
850 bleed:

850backlightbleed.jpg

T240HD bleed:

240backlightbleed.jpg

850 movie, reclined position:

850movie-from-reclined-position.jpg

T240HD, reclined position:

240movie-from-reclined-position.jpg

850, movie:

850movie.jpg

T240HD movie:

240movie.jpg

A few lazy, non-tripod photos.

Also, is anyone else getting flicker from the 2a patch in Lagom inversion pixel walk? Thanks.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Last edited:
I'm on my second one of these (a different unit from the photos above), and it's going back too. I've just been informed that Amazon has stopped carrying these directly, possibly due to this issue. The new monitor also suffers from poor backlight bleeding in the lower third and right corner, enough to lighten single colors on the screen and to interfere with movies.

What a shame. The stand is great, the picture is great, but the monitor is cursed by the cheapest, flimsiest bezel and casing I've ever seen. When Samsung gets serious about putting this incredible screen in a real casing, I'll be on board. Until then my TN works fine, and offers much more robust build quality.

I decided to return my ips and got this one today. I bought the 24" one, and yes the back light bleeding is really bad, other than that it's really a lot more better than my ips. Make my eye so much more comfortable, and no ghosting at all from bf3 game play. Color accuracy is good and the white screen uniformity is near perfect. How do you guys think about the bleeding though? Would the back light bleeding affect anything if I use the monitor in a well lit room?

dsc0395z.jpg

Is it backlight bleeding or PLS/IPS glow? If it goes away with certain viewing angles it is not backlight bleed. That is IPS glow, which also happens with PLS since its a CCFL edgelit unit. This also happens with every IPS i've seen.

Backlight bleed persists regardless of viewing angle. IPS / PLS glow doesn't. You can combat this with the built in dynamic contrast feature, although i've never found a reason to use it.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the second revision. My LG P-MVA should give another year of service.

Is it backlight bleeding or PLS/IPS glow? If it goes away with certain viewing angles it is not backlight bleed. That is IPS glow, which also happens with PLS since its a CCFL edgelit unit. This also happens with every IPS i've seen.

Backlight bleed persists regardless of viewing angle. IPS / PLS glow doesn't. You can combat this with the built in dynamic contrast feature, although i've never found a reason to use it.

It's 100% Backlight Bleeding, it is very annoying in a dark room or whenever it's involving black colour in movies or games. From what I've seen most 24" unit will have bleeding at the "lower right" corner along with some other random places. I ordered a u2412m and will get it tomorrow, will decide which to keep until than.

Last edited:
So it persists regardless of viewing angle? If you move your head around? If it fades away if you move your head around that is not backlight bleed - thats IPS/PLS glow. Maybe thats way other IPS panels use heavy AG...to cover the IPS glow up. Shrug.

Anyway, no issues here and I can't stand the thick AG on dell IPS panels. Feels like I have dust covering my screen on white backgrounds. Shame because they're a++ monitors oetherwise.

I'm on my second one of these (a different unit from the photos above), and it's going back too. I've just been informed that Amazon has stopped carrying these directly, possibly due to this issue. The new monitor also suffers from poor backlight bleeding in the lower third and right corner, enough to lighten single colors on the screen and to interfere with movies.

What a shame. The stand is great, the picture is great, but the monitor is cursed by the cheapest, flimsiest bezel and casing I've ever seen. When Samsung gets serious about putting this incredible screen in a real casing, I'll be on board. Until then my TN works fine, and offers much more robust build quality.

Still appearing on their site as a direct purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Display-A...ZQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1324494985&sr=8-11

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
im quite shocked at the amount of back light bleed its top of my lcd hate list above ghosting in fact.

whats the best monitor on sale at 27" for no back light bleed? my current tn has none and is very dark (but not totally) with nothing on screen with no glow or clouding its the best movie monitor ive ever had but i crave bigger and more DPI tbh

Last edited:
The worst part about the bleed with this monitor is the "pincher" effect. If the bleed was uniform it would be easier to ignore. But the bottom has areas that are darker, then lighter, creating dark "V's"
which jump right at you.

The construction and material quality of the bottom bezel is incredibly flimsy, and no doubt the cause for the horrific bleed. I tried to look past the movies, but I noticed the bleed lightened solid colors when browsing, and some of the Lagom single color tests were uneven. Not cool for $500. I'd buy the monitor again in a second if it had a bezel like my T240. When all is said and done, my T240 is a damn good monitor for the money. Plus, I still prefer TN for text. There's something too lively about the text on big IPS screens, an amost flickering quality.

UPS picked up my second monitor today. I think I'll wait 6-12 months and see how things improve.

Last edited:
My review of S24A850DW:
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recenze-samsung-s24a850dw-s-pls-review-test

(translate.google.com - CZ->EN works, but interactive graphs are functional only directly)

I measured w/ i1 Display Pro (+ ChromaPure) and I have to say that the color measurements in the review on blogspot.com (with old i1 Display 2) is a little bit non-sense.

It's a shame that so many S24A850s have so terrible backlight bleeding issues :-(.

I opened my 27" inch on Christmas. Easily the best display that I have ever seen. Unfortunately the BLB at the bottom is pretty bad and there is some dust stuck behind the panels. If they had better QC then this would be an absolute winner.

Wow. What was the nature of the dust? Botchy, streaks, or clumpy? My first panel had glue on the screen and clamp marks on the top and sides of the bezel.

Samsung needs to put this beautiful panel in a real case. This is the first IPS I've seen that had white whites.

Wow. What was the nature of the dust? Botchy, streaks, or clumpy? My first panel had glue on the screen and clamp marks on the top and sides of the bezel.

Samsung needs to put this beautiful panel in a real case. This is the first IPS I've seen that had white whites.

They are little specs that appear darker on the image. You can tell that something is inside which is casting a shadow because it is two dots that move in relation to each other as you change your angle.

Otherwise I enjoy this monitor immensely.

Just wanted to chime in with my 27" that I got today.
Im loving the resolution

this is using the camera settings from an earlier post 1sec/f2.8/100iso

0kDFel.jpg

Top right really ain't noticeable in normal use, and also is dependent on how I'm sitting at the time.

The right monitor is my 4-5 year old BenQ FP241W

Feeling quite crushed by the bad backlight bleed from this monitor. I have been considering it as an alternative to the U2412M since the SA850 has much better blacks as well as other nice perks over the Dell. Has Samsung yet addressed these quality issues and/or promised to fix it? I can't believe they'd let this monitor go to waste due to shoddy construction issues...

Backlight bleeding is my worst pet peeve when it comes to monitors, so looks like I'll be sticking with NEC IPS displays.

Good question. I still haven't seen a photo of one that doesn't have bad bleed.

Agreed. The 24" is horrible. The 27" is a 50/50 chance. I was lucky with my second one that had almost no bleed.

Feeling quite crushed by the bad backlight bleed from this monitor. I have been considering it as an alternative to the U2412M since the SA850 has much better blacks as well as other nice perks over the Dell. Has Samsung yet addressed these quality issues and/or promised to fix it? I can't believe they'd let this monitor go to waste due to shoddy construction issues...

The U2412M has better blacks and contrast ratio than the S24A850 both on paper and in person. I know because I've had both.

The S24A850 has smoother anti-glare and slightly better viewing angles in normal lighting conditions (due to less AG haze), but is flimsy in construction and quality, while the U2412M feels like a tank next to it.

As I said above the 27" is fine, the 24" horrible for BLB. The likelihood you'll find a 24" without BLB is next to nil from what I'm reading here and other sites.

I've used the s27a850d, u2711, u3011, and zr2740w. Honestly i'd rather get a TN 24" rather than deal with that STUPID antiglare coating that is present on all recent IPS screens. It is noticeable to ME and VERY annoying. I do a LOT Of text work. The u2711/u3011 and I imagine the U2412M look horrible in that respect.... Everything with a white background will appear "dirty", the first thing my girlfriend said about the u3011 was that it needed to be cleaned. She was of course looking at how grainy the image appeared with a white background.

I am using a s27a850d now which has no backlight bleeding and the AG is fantastic, and the text sharpness / white uniformity is miles better than the u2711 or u3011. The Dell IPS panels are fantastic with great uniformity/contrast but that antiglare is far too thick - it is easily 2x thicker than what is commonly used on other monitors. The ZR2740w looks basically identical to the u2711, but doesn't have OSD. Otherwise they are functionally the same.

I received my 2nd S27A850D today.

The first one:
-BLB across the bottom left corner which was visible when watching movies
-Three pieces of dust stuck in the screen creating dark specs that looked like dead pixels

The second screen:
-More or less zero BLB. A slight amount on the left edge (about 3/4" or so) which is masked by the IPS glow.
-Big dust spec near the center of the screen creating what looks like a few dead pixels stuck next to each other. There is only one of them but it is much more noticeable than the ones in the first screen.

Are you guys having the same problem with the dust specs? It's a shame because this is otherwise an amazing display. I could live with a little BLB, but I don't want these pieces of dust in my images.

I've used the s27a850d, u2711, u3011, and zr2740w. Honestly i'd rather get a TN 24" rather than deal with that STUPID antiglare coating that is present on all recent IPS screens. It is noticeable to ME and VERY annoying. I do a LOT Of text work. The u2711/u3011 and I imagine the U2412M look horrible in that respect.... Everything with a white background will appear "dirty", the first thing my girlfriend said about the u3011 was that it needed to be cleaned. She was of course looking at how grainy the image appeared with a white background.

I am using a s27a850d now which has no backlight bleeding and the AG is fantastic, and the text sharpness / white uniformity is miles better than the u2711 or u3011. The Dell IPS panels are fantastic with great uniformity/contrast but that antiglare is far too thick - it is easily 2x thicker than what is commonly used on other monitors. The ZR2740w looks basically identical to the u2711, but doesn't have OSD. Otherwise they are functionally the same.

The U2711 and U3011 are worse than the U2412M in terms of AG sparkle and grain. Also because they have tighter dot pitch it makes the effect that much stronger. In fact, after having seen a U3011 I would possibly say it's slightly worse than the U2711 in some ways for AG coating.

I'd have to see them side-by-side but I've had the U2412M and U2711 side-by-side and am confident in saying the U2412M is less.

I received my 2nd S27A850D today.

The first one:
-BLB across the bottom left corner which was visible when watching movies
-Three pieces of dust stuck in the screen creating dark specs that looked like dead pixels

The second screen:
-More or less zero BLB. A slight amount on the left edge (about 3/4" or so) which is masked by the IPS glow.
-Big dust spec near the center of the screen creating what looks like a few dead pixels stuck next to each other. There is only one of them but it is much more noticeable than the ones in the first screen.

Are you guys having the same problem with the dust specs? It's a shame because this is otherwise an amazing display. I could live with a little BLB, but I don't want these pieces of dust in my images.

I'm on my second one now and neither 27" had any dust specs. The first one had a dead blue sub-pixel and some back-light bleed at the bottom while the second one has no dead pixels or sub-pixels and almost zero BLB.

You aren't having much luck are you? Hopefully this panel will get used by other monitor manufacturers so we don't have to deal with Samsung's "quality" in the near future.

You aren't having much luck are you? Hopefully this panel will get used by other monitor manufacturers so we don't have to deal with Samsung's "quality" in the near future.

Unfortunately I am not :( I think that I'll send this second monitor back too. I don't expect dust or dead pixels in a $900 display. Otherwise the quality is fantastic.

The newly announced Samsung may have better quality, but it cannot be mounted on an arm or rotated so that is a no go.

I just got my S24A850DW in and I didn't notice and back light bleeding. I turned all the lights off in my place and didn't see it, though my windows shades allow a lot of light in. Using the monitor for the past few minutes has been great. Everything looks spectacular. I returned an HP ZR24W for performance reasons and this one is quite a bit better.

If I have back light bleeding I don't notice it. I guess for the rare few who use it for a lot of movies it can be annoying, but frankly I think it is more of an obsessive-compulsive issue(no offense intended because I can totally relate). This monitor looks amazing.

When the sun goes down I'll chime in with a better assessment and will give you some back light pictures as well....

Here is my monitor.

With the naked eye it isn't bad at all imo. The pics make it look worse. My previous monitors were a Dell 2005FPW(IPS), then a Soyo Topaz(S-PVA) and then tried an HP ZR24W but sent it back. This flaw is so minor to me, if even that, that I am keeping it. It is pretty great otherwise.

S24A850DW-1.JPG
S24A850DW-2.JPG

Thanks for the review!

The S24A850DW appears to be aimed at the professional market but yet suffers from low end IPS problems. :confused:

It's like a 10 year old kid dressed in his dad's Armani suit. Samsung needs to go all out for the intended market or not bother at all.

What confuses me the most is that the Samsung engineers and product managers have known about these issues for probably a year (perhaps more) but yet they still approve its mass production and sale? Don't they have R&D frequenting the [H]ard|Forum monitor section day & night?

MONEY MAKERS we really should slander their precious little f.... names... I'm tired of this... SAMSUNG SUCKS BALLS END OF STORY...

A big company like this stealing from consumers it's unnaccetable...

They saw the window of opportunity with the consumers raving against the F'.. Stupid overdone AG coating that make text unreadable made by all other stupid F.. companies like HP, Dell... And they decided to release a cheap screen with good AG coating so text is all nice... They sell it as if it was a premium samsung product with 1000000000000000000:1 dynamic contrast but it's clearly a poor constrast under tested, under engineered product...

In 3-4 months they will come out with a fix with their PLS2 and all those who bought this monitors will be like humm wow thx samsung for stealing my money with your mediocre beta screen.

I actually don't care if they release crap but they should price it accordingly... half of the price their selling it now

these day's we should be more inclined to look for bad reviews than good... we never know who is marketing dude in disguise or if the review come from a old lady playing cards on their screen and never play games or movies hehe saying ahh it's all clear and nice...

Also one last things samsung... right now i'm looking for another screen and it seems the only solution for me is the FORIS FX2431 but the funny things is that this one use a samsung S-PVA panel? Why didn't you use or update that panel instead of creating another technology?? let me gess... you wanted to save 50-100$ on each panel so that you can make more money while using the consumers for beta testing???

From the reviews.. Eizo FORIS FX2431 is the one to beat since it has the best colors and constrast due to S-PVA tech,mild AG coating, low input lag/response (enough for most gamers), and less problem with black crush and gamma shift like cheap pva panel... (this I hope)

can't any companies release a Foris but at like 700$? is it that hard??

Last edited:
Samsung ship me the 850DW or 850 27" 2650x1440, the one with the best blacks, and no backlight bleeding...

If you ship me one that has acceptable contrast.. this mean nearly dark screen in total darkness, I will revise all my post.. if not, then f.. samsung..

I've used the s27a850d, u2711, u3011, and zr2740w. Honestly i'd rather get a TN 24" rather than deal with that STUPID antiglare coating that is present on all recent IPS screens. It is noticeable to ME and VERY annoying. I do a LOT Of text work.

Just need to pipe up and second that. I long for the days of my gorgeous sony xblack display on my laptop from 2004...

I do a lot writing in my day job. Yet when reading monitor reviews, the true clarity of text is rarely mentioned.

Like you, I have been through numerous monitors and will be trying the s24a850 next. The Dell's which are rated so highly are just not clear enough.

Perhaps not everyone has been spoiled by the Apple screens and so they settle for lesser displays. My imac is gorgeous.

I'd buy an apple display but the price is just too high and I dont have a dark room to work in... Glossy display means bright rooms make it harder to use.

UPDATE Apr 2013: I have the 24" SA850 - wow, what a monitor. Crisp, sharp, excellent colours. Backlight bleeding - maybe a bit, but barely noticeable. Flimsy? Sure, but it is fine for the job. Runs nice and cool, unlike the Dells I've tried that run hot. I have no idea how people with retina displays on their phones can then tolerate Dell monitors with the terrible anti-glare coating.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone cares, but I bought an S24A850D since Amazon Canada dropped the price to 239$ for a few hours which is 60$ less than the other quality 1200p options like the Asus VS24AH-P. Its normal price (460$ in North America) is far too high.

It has the typical obvious light bleed and pinching issues they are known to suffer from, uses PWM and its scaling feature (Screen Fit which is accessible when the monitor is set to the AV mode) stretches 16:9 content when connected to external devices. There are no affordable PWM free 16:10 1200p monitors with semi-glossy or nearly grain free matte coatings. The Asus PB248QE can scale 16:9 content properly, but it has a much stronger (grainy) matte coating like the other affordable 16:10 1200p monitors aside from the HP E24i and Z24i, but they can't scale 16:9 content when connected to external devices either.

On a positive note, it does have almost 1,000:1 contrast and has nearly perfect colour presets (accurate sRGB gamma curve, linear preset RGB levels, pure whites and low delta E) while the launch units did not. =DEAD= and Extrahardware CZ reviewed units made in 2012 which also performed much better than the launch unit Albovin reviewed in 2011. The colour preset accuracy is better than most of the monitors I've tested, and its coating is much lighter than the 2011-2012 PLS panels. Samsung also improved the overdrive too.

Last edited:
I've had one for about a year and a half and meant to post impressions, but I forgot.

In addition to the above, I'd note that the monitor is able to go up to ~76 Hz without frame skipping over DVI and that while it does have PWM, it's much milder than normal PWM. The brightness curve looks like this: http://www.cnews.cz/jak-je-podsvicenim-24-pls-samsung-s24a850dw-blika-pwm-nebo-neblika

Mine also has almost zero backlight bleeding, but that's only because I sent it in for service for a different issue and they replaced the panel. Before sending it in, it had terrible backlight bleeding.

Back