Samsung Reveals Exynos 9820

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Samsung just unveiled their newest processor: the Exynos 9 series 9820. The new design uses a 2+2+4 CPU setup, with 2 "4th generation custom CPUs," 2 Cortex A75s, and 4 Cortex A55s. Samsung claims the new "tri-cluster" system will boost multi-core performance by 15 percent, while the new big cores can either increase single core performance by 20% or power efficiency by 40%. Samsung is also touting a 40% boost in graphics performance, 8k video capture, HDR support, faster LTE, UFS 3.0 support for speedy storage, and a "physically unclonable function" security feature. The 9820 is built on an "8nm LPP (Low Power Plus) FinFET process," and Samsung says the integrated NPU is much faster than its predecessor.

Exynos 9820 is an intelligent powerhouse with a separate hardware AI-accelerator, or NPU, which performs AI tasks around seven times faster than the predecessor. With the NPU, AI-related processing can be carried out directly on the device rather than sending the task to a server, providing faster performance as well as more security for personal information. The NPU will enable a variety of new experiences such as instantly adjusting camera settings for a shot based on the surroundings or recognizing objects to provide information in augmented or virtual reality (AR or VR) settings.

If they can do either 20% in single core perf or 40% better in power efficiency, then why not replace the other big cores entirely? :confused:

I don't really follow the 'The NPU will enable a variety of new experiences such as instantly adjusting camera settings for a shot based on the surroundings or recognizing objects...' thing.
Isn't a very large data set required to do that sort of thing properly? How good can this 'AI' be with the (very) limited amount of capacity for baseline data that allows object recognition?

Don't worry, the phone mfgs will make the software more bloated with crap nobody wants or needs to compensate for the increased power.

I see all new high-end SoCs have an NPU, but I've not yet seen a practical use for that. Can someone enlighten me?

I see all new high-end SoCs have an NPU, but I've not yet seen a practical use for that. Can someone enlighten me?

At least with apple, I believe the NPU is being used to process video. It's used with FaceID, the animoji, and ARkit. No idea what other manufacturers are doing with them, if anything.

is there an analogue to the multi-module cpu sets for desktop PCs? it's always been confusing to me how a system that assigns based on loads can work in realtime. unless phone loads really fall into a couple basic camps

is there an analogue to the multi-module cpu sets for desktop PCs? it's always been confusing to me how a system that assigns based on loads can work in realtime. unless phone loads really fall into a couple basic camps
I think it's partially this, but also you could (assuming android has such a mechanism) define whether you want your app/process/thread to run on the big or little core (though it would ultimately be up to the OS to decide). You can also start processes on the little core and move them to the big core if they last long enough or use enough resources.

Back