Samsung Reaches 1TB Per Disk Platter

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung has announced that it has reached the 1TB per disk platter milestone and the company will have 4TB hard drives out later this year.

When the 4TB HDDs will begin shipping wasn't revealed, but when they do, they will be part of the company's Spinpoint EcoGreen series. As such, they will have 5,400RPM rotational speeds, have 32MB of cache and a SATA 6Gbps interface. Samsung added that the technology would also allow for 10TB drives with some more modification, though this wouldn't happen for a while yet.

The question around 5400 rpm is what's the bit density of a 1TB platter compared to current offerings of 7200 and 10K drives and does the reduction of RPM actually affect overall performance and if so at what level of use?

Desktop of average user? Probably not much (look Wilbur, Windows loaded 5.4 seconds slower on the new drive!?).

Server IO transactions, yeah.

Bulk cheap storage for HTPC media files, ideal.

Oh, do current SATA controller chips read 3+ TB drives or do we need add-in controller cards???

Exactly. If you are buying a mechanical hard disk for performance you are doing it wrong.

Oh maybe I dont want to spend $800+ for SSD that can store all my games? I have 350GB left on my 1TB black just filled with games.

Ok fine.

If you are buying a 4TB drive for performance you are doing it wrong.

Better?

As said above... if your buying mechanical, your doing it wrong. and really this is nothing new, most 2TB's that are inexpensive are 5400, the 7200's are twice as much (in the majority of cases). The 3TB's are 5400 only. The vast majority of people buying drives that size are using them for media storage and the speed improvement between 5400 and 7200 is negligible If you think you need 7200, get a black. Otherwise SSD is the only way to go with the prices dropping constantly.

Oh maybe I dont want to spend $800+ for SSD that can store all my games? I have 350GB left on my 1TB black just filled with games.

Why do all games have to be on the same physical drive? The latest performance demanding games which demand quick loading, paging of resources, etc. go on the SSD. The rest go on storage drives. There's no need to differentiate with physical drives with Win 7. You can make it think a folder separated onto a SSD and mechanical drive is on the same drive or you can mount an SSD, etc.

Why do all games have to be on the same physical drive? The latest performance demanding games which demand quick loading, paging of resources, etc. go on the SSD. The rest go on storage drives. There's no need to differentiate with physical drives with Win 7. You can make it think a folder separated onto a SSD and mechanical drive is on the same drive or you can mount an SSD, etc.

I agree, I have a pair of SSD. However Steam is a pain in the ass, I hate the way it handles installs. I've read a lot of guides on how to get it to work across a couple drives, but they are major hack jobs.

That said, before SSD I had a pair of Raptors for performance and 500GB-1.5TB drives for storage. Now I have SSD for performance and 1.5TB for storage.

Bottomline, if you want performance there are both smaller SSD and platter based drives. Whining about 4TB not being fast is moronic. That's not why you buy it.

If you think people are doing it wrong because their reasoning doesn't coincide with yours - then you're doing it wrong. Everyone has their very specific needs and motives for buying hard drives of any speed and size.

derp.

If you think people are doing it wrong because their reasoning doesn't coincide with yours - then you're doing it wrong. Everyone has their very specific needs and motives for buying hard drives of any speed and size.

derp.

You are of course right. I'm sure the people in this thread that are complaining have a need to store 2+ TB of performance sensitive data.

Oh, do current SATA controller chips read 3+ TB drives or do we need add-in controller cards???

Yes, they will. But some OS' wont (especially 32bit). Windows 7 64bit will, but youll have to set it up as LBA blah blah.

derp.

Yeah, but disaparging a huge development like getting 1TB on single platters by complaining about rotational speeds when there are healthy alternatives in both directions is not particularly intuitive.

The point of this development is obviously for the purpose of gross capacity and not for the purpose of performance (which will come later anyway).

I have 6 2tb samsung eco's

I will be upgrading to the 4tb drives when they come out.

These are very solid drives for the money and they are one of the few drives that acually work in a real raid hardware configuration. due to the CCTL (Command Completion Time Limit) that most hard drives limit becuase they want you to by enterprize class drives.

People seem to be forgetting two very important things;

1) Speed affects how quickly you get data on and swap it around. So even as a pure storage drive, 5400 RPM is pretty bleak.

2) At some point all that data has to come off...4TB@5400 rpm? No Thank You.

I am glad they hit the 1TB per platter milestone, I am unhappy they are only offering 5400rpm. The least they could do is offer 5400rpm, 7200rpm and 10k variants so people can pick what they want.

1) Speed affects how quickly you get data on and swap it around. So even as a pure storage drive, 5400 RPM is pretty bleak.

I am glad they hit the 1TB per platter milestone, I am unhappy they are only offering 5400rpm. The least they could do is offer 5400rpm, 7200rpm and 10k variants so people can pick what they want.

Yeah, no one has forgotten this and it has been answered several times over. No one is calming 5400 is as fast as 7200, 10k or SSD.

I agree, I have a pair of SSD. However Steam is a pain in the ass, I hate the way it handles installs. I've read a lot of guides on how to get it to work across a couple drives, but they are major hack jobs.

That said, before SSD I had a pair of Raptors for performance and 500GB-1.5TB drives for storage. Now I have SSD for performance and 1.5TB for storage.

Bottomline, if you want performance there are both smaller SSD and platter based drives. Whining about 4TB not being fast is moronic. That's not why you buy it.

Similar set up here
80gb x25-M SSD as OS drive, WD 2tb Black as Steam drive (lots of steam games on there - 200 or so), 2tb Samsung 5400rpm as media drive, 2 tb samsung 5400rpm as a back up drive in a slot in case and an old 1tb Samsung 7200rpm as a torrent and misc drive.

So I spread the files accordingly

To all the people that are crapping on this product: it's not meant for performance, it's not meant for games, and I guess that means it's not meant for you guys. This is a product that's meant to maximize one spec at the expense of others in order to please people that care just about that one spec.

It would be like crapping in a thread about the AMD 6990 because you can't put it in silent, small-form-factor HTPC. Well...no shit...it's not meant for that. It's like complaining that you can't tow a yacht with a corvette, or that you can't beat a corvette in a race with your turbodiesel pickup.

I, for one, am excited that storage capacities are finally kicking up again. I remember reading in late 2009 that a company was expecting to have 10TB drives by 2011...It smells like someone extrapolated too far. Anyway, I am beginning to run out of storage space and adding more drives is not my preferred option. If hard disk capacity doesn't begin increasing again, I will probably have to buy one of those 4U 24 disk enclosures next year.

...I am glad they hit the 1TB per platter milestone, I am unhappy they are only offering 5400rpm. The least they could do is offer 5400rpm, 7200rpm and 10k variants so people can pick what they want.

Given that they just announced the ability to make a 1TB platter, the least you could do would be give them time to develop 7.2K and 10K variants.
If there's a lucrative market for them, the company will want to fill that niche.
If not, why would they waste the R&D?

Sometimes i wonder where all that space went. My 1.5 GB HDD is already full and i really started wondering how i could have a 62 MB HDD in my old 486 back in the days and still have games that were fun and appz that worked. I guess the difference was that back then 1 game didn't equal to "1 iso" back then.

Anyways, looking forward to the 4 TB disks, i think with 1 TB per platter it doesn't really matter these only run at 5400 rpm, i guess it's still gonna be quite fast.

your not taking data density into account, the data is closer together so your going to get to it quicker on a 1tb platter at 5400rpm than a 500gb platter at 10000rpm

To all the people that are crapping on this product: it's not meant for performance, it's not meant for games, and I guess that means it's not meant for you guys. This is a product that's meant to maximize one spec at the expense of others in order to please people that care just about that one spec.

It would be like crapping in a thread about the AMD 6990 because you can't put it in silent, small-form-factor HTPC. Well...no shit...it's not meant for that. It's like complaining that you can't tow a yacht with a corvette, or that you can't beat a corvette in a race with your turbodiesel pickup.

I, for one, am excited that storage capacities are finally kicking up again.

^This

5,400 RPM. ew.

a 2TB 5400 RPM with 500GB per side of each platter density... (1TB per platter)

Versus

a 2TB 7200 RPM with 250GB per side of each platter density... (500GB per platter)

I'll take the former, any day. Due to density, it would pass more bits in each rotation than 7200 RPM.

Of all places that would make the mistake of simply looking at one spec value and condemning the entire product for it, I didn't think people here would be so quick to make that mistake.

Must not visit this place often. Or stay away from main page threads.

I, for one, am excited that storage capacities are finally kicking up again. I remember reading in late 2009 that a company was expecting to have 10TB drives by 2011...It smells like someone extrapolated too far. Anyway, I am beginning to run out of storage space and adding more drives is not my preferred option. If hard disk capacity doesn't begin increasing again, I will probably have to buy one of those 4U 24 disk enclosures next year.

+1 to this...

If you want a 4TB 7200/10K rpm drive, wait for it to come out. :rolleyes:

Nice. But this will make Samsung a takeover candidate for WD. :eek:

Exactly. If you are buying a mechanical hard disk for performance you are doing it wrong.
Well, Mr. Jobs, not everyone can or is willing to pay $2/GB for a large SSD when 20 times the price can net you 1,000 times the storage at a decent 7200 RPM. :cool:

a 2TB 5400 RPM with 500GB per side of each platter density... (1TB per platter)

Versus

a 2TB 7200 RPM with 250GB per side of each platter density... (500GB per platter)

I'll take the former, any day. Due to density, it would pass more bits in each rotation than 7200 RPM.

Of all places that would make the mistake of simply looking at one spec value and condemning the entire product for it, I didn't think people here would be so quick to make that mistake.
Or, wait a little bit and get 1TB/platter at 7200 RPM, which surely will be released shortly after the 5400 RPM version. ;)

If you're coming over a network from a file server or NAS then the disk is not your bottleneck.

I'd be more worried about reliability. I'd love to stuff my server with 4TB disks. But until I see it on the market for a while I'm not touching it. I was a fool and jumped on the first WD 2TB units and WD ended up re[placing all of them.

or that you can't beat a corvette in a race with your turbodiesel pickup.

That depends completely on what kind of race, the HP and Torque of each vehicle in the race, the gearing of the vehicles, and the drivers of the vehicles.

Consumers don't need 5TB drives right now, however the tech/science side is screaming for storage.

I would say that's going to change really quickly has digital distribution overcomes BluRay.

Back