• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung RAM?

elleana

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,590
Hey all,
How does Samsung branded RAM compare to the regular popular RAM brands? I understand Samsung is some sort of OEM - can anyone shed light on that? I saw an auction on ebay where I can get Samsung 1GB DDR400 sticks for about $50 each shipped - sounds like too good a deal! Not sure if I can post ebay links here but if it's ok I'll post a link to the auction.
 
Samsung makes TSOPs and complete modules, AKA DIMMs.
I don't hesitate to recommend Samsung for just about anything. Samsung/Samsung DIMMs are among the best you can get. They time and clock exceptionally well at default voltages, and also respond well to undervolting where there's thermal concerns.
However, because they make TSOPs as well, you have to make sure they're GENUINE Samsung DIMMs. You can look up the part number on Samsung's website; there'll be a sticker on them with a Samsung part number, usually starting "KH" or "KM."
 
The Corsair XMS I have in my sig are samsung chips, oc'ed 50mhz at stock volts (though I did have to loosen the timings)
 
Samsung is among the best of the best, IMHO. My 2x512 cost $40 less than the next closest "value" ram from a major company (ocz, corsair, crucial, kingston, etc), Is very reliable, Mine runes TCCC on Brainpower B6U808, and overclocks to 275 mhz at 2.5.4-3-8.

Pretty impressive.
 
elleana said:
Hey all,
How does Samsung branded RAM compare to the regular popular RAM brands? I understand Samsung is some sort of OEM - can anyone shed light on that? I saw an auction on ebay where I can get Samsung 1GB DDR400 sticks for about $50 each shipped - sounds like too good a deal! Not sure if I can post ebay links here but if it's ok I'll post a link to the auction.

If its the auction I just looked at, its more like $70 a stick with the shipping...at that price you are almost better off with Newegg or somebody...

but samsung is the shizzle
 
I'd buy that Samsung RAM myself if I didn't already have 1.5 GB of Ram already.
 
You'll pretty much always find 'Samsung' written on the green module PCB with their OEM sticks. I've seen one case that had 'SSI' - which is the acronym for Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. on a micro-DIMM that didn't have enough real estate for the full word. There are a few scumbags that try to pass off fake copies as SSI OEM parts, and there are some old PCB designs out there that say Samsung on them but are made by other module manufacturers. Memory is a weird, inbred business...

One thing I can promise you, all of the DRAM OEMs keep the majority of the best (most stable - not necessarily the fastest even though these are usually related) chips for themselves and their OEM customers. Since they're the ones doing the initial testing, they know which wafer lots are the best and which ones are crap. Guess which ones wind up as 'brand X' labeled devices...which are found on 99% of all of the 'enthusiast' modules? :D

You'll probably find that Samsung chips overwhelmingly are the most tolerant to weird systems and extreme usage conditions. (every once in a while; Micron, Infineon or Elpida seem to mesh better but this is rare)
 
i actually tend to have mroe faith in micron's reliability and performance.. especially for ddr2 :D
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
faith in micron's reliability and performance.. especially for ddr2 :D

Very likely true, dat. I've not spent much time playing with DDR2 - not many server chipsets ran on it when I was working with it frequently, and I'm an AMD fan anyway... :D
 
FullertonAve said:
and I'm an AMD fan anyway... :D
me too:

1_267.png
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i actually tend to have mroe faith in micron's reliability and performance.. especially for ddr2 :D

Oh bah. DDR2 I ain't gonna comment on. But when I want to get insane clockings, I'll go with Samsung/Samsung genuines and start blowing minds. I mean, come on, they make CL2.5 ECC Registered which is stable at CL2! :D
 
AreEss said:
Oh bah. DDR2 I ain't gonna comment on. But when I want to get insane clockings, I'll go with Samsung/Samsung genuines and start blowing minds. I mean, come on, they make CL2.5 ECC Registered which is stable at CL2! :D
5b G > TCCD ;) :eek:

hard to argue with 260mhz at 2.5-2-2 and 300mhz at 3-3-3 for insanely cheap :cool:
 
Woah, that's making it very tempting for me to switch to AM2 + DDR2, especially since they are pretty cheap too.. $150~ for the 3800+, another $130 for the G.Skill PC2 6400, $150 for the Asus M2N-SLI, for a grand total of just under $450 USD, or just under $500 Canadian.

:'(
 
Back
Top