Samsung May Replace Intel as World's Largest Chipmaker

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Intel has been the world’s top semiconductor manufacturer since 1993, but Samsung may soon be putting an end to that record due to rising prices and demand for memory chips, which is rewarding the Korean company—the world’s largest memory chipmaker—greatly. Aside from growing prices of memory chips, DRAM and NAND flash, Samsung has also done well for itself with chip sales, which saw profits of $5.5B, alongside a successful rollout of the Galaxy S8.

“If memory market prices continue to hold or increase through the second quarter and the balance of this year, Samsung could charge into the top spot and displace Intel, which has held the No. 1 ranking since 1993,” Bill McClean, president of the US research firm IC Insights, predicted Monday. IC Insights predicted chip sales of Intel would post $14.4 billion in the second quarter, while Samsung’s chip sales would record $14.6 billion during the same period, with on-year growth of around 4.1 percent predicted. “If achieved, this would mark a milestone achievement not only for Samsung, specifically, but for all other competing semiconductor producers who have tried for years to supplant Intel as the world’s largest supplier,” the report said.

i wish they had a parts breakdown on # of devices shipped instead of just revenue.

I wouldnt mind if they found a way to buy AMD.

Their fab process seems to be great.

x86 please? Third competitor please? Options without always-on backdoors like AMT/ME?

No one. Once the PC came out it everyone else was left in the dust.

O yeah, Intel exploded the PC movement. There was already a semiconductor market though. I think even IBM was a supporter of S Korea getting in the game to keep Japan from getting an unbeatable monopoly in chips back around that time.

x86 please? Third competitor please? Options without always-on backdoors like AMT/ME?
Or better yet... BUY AMD! AMD needs all the help they can get, they need a lot of money and Samsung seems to have a whole hell of a lot of it.

1. They still have a system similar to AMT/ME and it's uncertain how well you can disable it.
2. I'm waiting till there are Ryzen offerings for m-ITX that's more than just Biostar.

Or better yet... BUY AMD! AMD needs all the help they can get, they need a lot of money and Samsung seems to have a whole hell of a lot of it.

Talking about ram, I bought a 32gb ddr4 quad 1 year ago for $120, today it is $220. I looked up dual channel too and it's the same. What happened to double the price? I'm glad I bought when I did

S_Cyrix-6x86MX-PR266%20(83MHz%202.9V%20ES).jpg

Talking about ram, I bought a 32gb ddr4 quad 1 year ago for $120, today it is $220. I looked up dual channel too and it's the same. What happened to double the price? I'm glad I bought when I did

Current prices and lack of quality motherboards is what is stopping me from replacing my 2500k with a Ryzen build :/

Back