Samsung Galaxy S III v. Galaxy Nexus?

The Nexus brand has been more about setting a standard rather than being cutting edge. I wish people would understand that
well said. the nexus phones always have something "new" about them that Google wants pushed out into the android ecosystem. The Nexus has its roots as being the developer phone, so releasing new features in the Nexus makes sense, since Google wants devs to get their hand on the next new thing so they can begin coding for it. Having high-end hardware makes sense in this context, but it doesn't necessarily dictate the use of the absolute latest and most advanced SoC's. Of course, if Google is pushing things like Project Butter that harness the power of faster SoC's and GPUs, then maybe we can expect a large leap in computing power

It isn't open when Verizon gets the final say-so on what firmware gets loaded onto phones on their network. Bullshit, yes. But that's how it is. The Nexus is probably months away from getting Jelly Bean on Verizon despite the fact most (all?) others carriers have the JB ROMs for their phone. The only solution? Root it and use third-party ROMs (again, something I don't care for). The Nexus branding means nothing when Verizon is involved. Just saying.

Um...the fact that you CAN flash a 3rd party ROM and other firmeware by simply running this command:

fastboot oem unlock

proves that the Nexus is OPEN. I never said anything about the VZW Nexus getting the same support as the GSM version. Just because Verizon are jackasses and prefer pimping their Droid brand over supporting other devices doesn't mean the VZW Nexus is any less open compared to the GSM version.

get the S3
I have the Verizon version and I am running CM10 on it right now which is Jelly Bean
The phone is crazy fast

Yeah even on Verizon, the bootloader is worked around. You have to live with it rebooting twice to run the exploit afaik, but there's literally no difference besides that.

I'm just waiting for the roms to mature a little bit more before, but I'll probably end up putting CM10 on soon-ish. AOKP has a workable version out too, but I dunno, they don't seem quite as professional as CM does. I've heard good things about it nevertheless, though

Yeah even on Verizon, the bootloader is worked around. You have to live with it rebooting twice to run the exploit afaik, but there's literally no difference besides that.

I'm just waiting for the roms to mature a little bit more before, but I'll probably end up putting CM10 on soon-ish. AOKP has a workable version out too, but I dunno, they don't seem quite as professional as CM does. I've heard good things about it nevertheless, though
AOKP is basically just CM with some extra features kanged in. CM does a really great job of creating a legitimately open source rom that has few extra bells and whistles, a relatively pure implementation of the AOSP. Thats why it feels more "professional", it doesn't have any of the extra neat junk which can seem somewhat childish at times

AOKP is basically just CM with some extra features kanged in. CM does a really great job of creating a legitimately open source rom that has few extra bells and whistles, a relatively pure implementation of the AOSP. Thats why it feels more "professional", it doesn't have any of the extra neat junk which can seem somewhat childish at times

I don't care about the icon or whatever, but it doesn't instill the same confidence when I see AOKP developers posting stuff like: "yes its kexec running its shiz" versus when I look at CM developers and contributors. There it's seemingly more often a solid "these people sound / look like they know what they're doing" experience.

Maybe I'm just being retarded but if you're handing software that might just render my phone inoperable in case of a fuck up, is it that hard to not type like you're 12 when talking to your potential userbase...

I don't care about the icon or whatever, but it doesn't instill the same confidence when I see AOKP developers posting stuff like: "yes its kexec running its shiz" versus when I look at CM developers and contributors. There it's seemingly more often a solid "these people sound / look like they know what they're doing" experience.

Maybe I'm just being retarded but if you're handing software that might just render my phone inoperable in case of a fuck up, is it that hard to not type like you're 12 when talking to your potential userbase...

Just because one "dev", which means nothing more than he might have added a font or something, makes a silly comment has nothing to do with the quality of the rom. And it's pretty childish to think it would. That's like saying every American is a womanizing cheaters because Bill Clinton fucked some fatty on his desk in the Oval Office.

Well the same holds true about a stupid post by a dev meaning a ROM is poor quality.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is, is that looking at some people that have contributed to the CM project, seeing someone ramble about related technobabble and challenges alongside hints of progression is a bit nicer to see than something like: "yea its cray stable..."

... only to have some people getting their IMEI obliterated and needing to flash stock and RMA the phone if they can't get it to come back. LOL OOPS. Obviously if you're going to be an early adopter there could be problems like that, but that isn't the way I'd promote my stuff.

What I'm saying is, is that looking at some people that have contributed to the CM project, seeing someone ramble about related technobabble and challenges alongside hints of progression is a bit nicer to see than something like: "yea its cray stable..."

... only to have some people getting their IMEI obliterated and needing to flash stock and RMA the phone if they can't get it to come back. LOL OOPS. Obviously if you're going to be an early adopter there could be problems like that, but that isn't the way I'd promote my stuff.

Yeah, but if I really tried, I'm sure I can much worse stuff posted by a CM dev. There's probably not a product in existence that hasn't had somebody on the dev side that wasn't a complete and total idiot.

Yeah, but if I really tried, I'm sure I can much worse stuff posted by a CM dev. There's probably not a product in existence that hasn't had somebody on the dev side that wasn't a complete and total idiot.

Actually if you really want to compare, AOKP is nothing (like many ROM's) without CM. For example AOKP on the SGS3 wouldn't exist without CM9/CM10. The day AOKP got the SGS3 half way running they forked the entire CM branch for SGS3 which just happened to the be the day after CM announced SGS3 for CM9/10 and showed working proof. Yet AOKP claims they are a "working base". Yeah, a working base after CM does it first. :rolleyes:

TeamHackSung and CVPCS have done a lot of work to make CM work on the SGS3 (Verizon version especially) only to have it kanged by others. Of course CM doesn't really care overall (and AOKP does good work with some of their stuff), but lets at least give credit where credit is due.

It's not called the Android Open "KANG" Project for nothing...

yea, i guess my point is that, I'm not at all surprised CM feels more professional, because a lot of AOKP seems to me like taking someone else's hard and technical work and deciding it didn't have enough sparklers and "cool" shit coming out of it. basically, devs who don't have anywhere near the chops required to actually do something as sophisticated as CM, so they stick with battery indicator mods and other little things

So why use CM if it's a known fact that AOKP and other roms are built on CM framework, but with a ton of extra features?

That's like wanting a new Corvette, but wanting them to custom build it without all the new bells and whistles. Why?

And I've used both CM and AOKP, along with a ton of other roms. So I have experience with both. If anyone hasn't tried AOKP, you might want to. Especially the new JB build that I'm running. It's awesome. Android is turning into a fucking awesome OS.

Last edited:
if you're due for a new phone *and* running out of contract it might be time to start shopping around. T-Mobile in particular has become quite aggressive and competitive in its pricing the past few months.

You'd have your choice from at least three flagship phones, then: S3 (Touchwiz), GNex (stock), and HTC One S (Sense) [snapdragon dual core].

I loathe AT&T but if the value is there you'd have a choice from the S3, GNex, and HTC One X [quad core]

If you only need to replace your wife and your phone then you'll find much better pricing with a value plan and selling your wife's verizon phone on CL and buying two GSM phones. As a baseline comparison, I pay ~$100 out of pocket for 4 lines: my line with unlimited talk and data, 2nd line with unlimited talk and 2gb data > throttled to edge thereafter no overage charges, then 2 kid's lines with 500 minutes each no data and everyone with unlimited texts.

The two kid's lines are free until 2014 and $5 per month thereafter.

If you have to replace 4 phones for your family it might not make sense to leave the CDMA network.

The comments about CM vs. AOKP are strange to say the least so my advice concerning that side-discussion is to ignore the chatter. Both teams are professional enough to not be a concern. What is a concern is when you unlock that S3 bootloader you'll void your warranty on that shiny $600 dollar phone so that might leave you with an unsavory taste in your mouth. Make sure you try out touchwiz (and sense and motoblur) before you commit to another two year contract. Some people love the vendor based flavors of android (personally, I prefer sense to everything even stock android) while others loathe them.

So why use CM if it's a known fact that AOKP and other roms are built on CM framework, but with a ton of extra features?

That's like wanting a new Corvette, but wanting them to custom build it without all the new bells and whistles. Why?

And I've used both CM and AOKP, along with a ton of other roms. So I have experience with both. If anyone hasn't tried AOKP, you might want to. Especially the new JB build that I'm running. It's awesome. Android is turning into a fucking awesome OS.

Ton of extra features? Where do you think almost all those features came from? They're all forked from CM as well. Go look at the Liquid ICS build for the GNex. It's 100% CM that was slightly modified by Liquid. Hell his RC releases for MR1 and 1.5 had fucking Cid's head next to "Liquid Settings".

There's a reason why almost every JB ROM out there right now is pure AOSP with a few minor changes. It's because the biggest things aren't on CyanogenMod's Github yet. :rolleyes:

Current AOKP Preview build 4 is nearly identical to Winner00's CM10 builds. Gee wonder why? :rolleyes:

In the long run If you like AOKP, like many others do, then use it. You can't go wrong with it since it's base is solid. I've used it in the past as well and I enjoyed it. All I'm saying is give credit where credit is due when it comes to all those "extra features" and the base work.

Make sure you try out touchwiz (and sense and motoblur) before you commit to another two year contract. Some people love the vendor based flavors of android (personally, I prefer sense to everything even stock android) while others loathe them.

Good advice. I loathe them all, although I will say the latest Blur (compared to Sense 4.0 and TW on SGS3) on ICS 4.0.4 (Droid RAZR) is the least intrusive of them all. It's just enough change to differentiate, but it still looks and feels like a stock ICS build.

EDIT: Wow...never expected to see this especially from ProTekk: https://twitter.com/ProTekkFZS/status/227928737461727233

Last edited:
Damn! While I've been thinking about the upgrade they removed the ability to keep the unlimited plan if you upgrade online. Oh well. Greedy bastards :D.

Last edited:
Damn! While I've been thinking about the upgrade they removed the ability to keep the unlimited plan if you upgrade online. Oh well. Greedy bastards :D.

Or you could just jump ship and go prepaid. I just did a few days ago and I don't think I will ever go back. with the 2 lines I have its going to save me $960 a year. And thats switching from sprint and not even going with the cheapest prepaid. you should read the thread on here about going prepaid. Likely be worth the hour or so reading to decide

I already looked into prepaid a while back -- Verizon has better coverage in critical areas when I travel. Can't say the same for the other carriers unfortunately. In any event I just got back from the Verizon Store with an S3. Thanks for all the help guys!

I'll be saying the same thing about the S3 when the new Nexus phone comes out in a few months.

Gotta say, I love Samsung's release strategy for their Nexus phones so far, where they release a Galaxy S phone, and then 6 months later release the Nexus phone based on the current generation...

I'll be saying the same thing about the S3 when the new Nexus phone comes out in a few months.

Technology advances every X number of months, news at 10. Now, for the weather... over to you, Stacy!

P.S. I love my S3 :D.

if I want to play games ill do it on my PC, if I want to screw around on BS app, make phone calls, shoot txts, and check my email I don't care what it scores on glbenchmark.
I have a Gnex running stock JB and its freaking smooth. I'm a moderately heavy user and the battery lasts all day for me (GSM version).
It really just depends on what you want. Hopefully samsung will be good about updating the GS3 since there are so few variants. So if you want cutting edge HW that will do everything you want except play crysis (which is a waste of time on a 4in screen) but maybe/maybe not get timely updates get the GS3.
Gnex is older HW but I haven't seen a hicup yet with JB and I know it will get Keylime shortly after release while the GS3 will likely still be waiting to get JB. BTW the Gnex won't play crysis either

Hopefully samsung will be good about updating the GS3 since there are so few variants.

Number of variants has never been the issue, it's always been the carriers. The S2 got ICS before the Nexus S after all. :p

true... and yes carriers were a problem partially because each carrier had a different varrient like the skyrocket or the skyrocket hd or the epic or the epic4gtouch...ect each one slightly different so that samsung dev's would have needed to make that many different updates. and which s2 got ICS first? again several variants... I know the international one did but the international GS1 was well supported due to there being only one version vs the 4-5 different versions we had here in N.America

true... and yes carriers were a problem partially because each carrier had a different varrient like the skyrocket or the skyrocket hd or the epic or the epic4gtouch...ect each one slightly different so that samsung dev's would have needed to make that many different updates. and which s2 got ICS first? again several variants... I know the international one did but the international GS1 was well supported due to there being only one version vs the 4-5 different versions we had here in N.America

All the US variants of the S2 were the same minus the shell and radios.

All the US S3s are the same minus the radios. It's the exact same situation when it comes to hardware, they just all have the same shell this go-around.

All the US variants of the S2 were the same minus the shell and radios.

All the US S3s are the same minus the radios. It's the exact same situation when it comes to hardware, they just all have the same shell this go-around.

Not true at all. The original s2 at at&t and sprint had the exynos. The t mobile version had the snapdragon s3. The skyrocket also had the snapdragon. The software builds also differed dramatically.

Not true at all. The original s2 at at&t and sprint had the exynos. The t mobile version had the snapdragon s3. The skyrocket also had the snapdragon. The software builds also differed dramatically.

And don't forget about the Skyrocket HD... Hell sprints S2 is just now getting ICS. I bet though that now that there are really only 2 different S3s (US and International) Samsung will be much better about updates.

And don't forget about the Skyrocket HD... Hell sprints S2 is just now getting ICS. I bet though that now that there are really only 2 different S3s (US and International) Samsung will be much better about updates.

There are 4 different hardware variations for the US though.... small variations, but variations none the less.

Don't forget the only difference between the AT&T S2 and Int S2 was capacitive buttons --- hardly reason for a 4 month delay of ICS.

There are 4 different hardware variations for the US though.... small variations, but variations none the less.

Don't forget the only difference between the AT&T S2 and Int S2 was capacitive buttons --- hardly reason for a 4 month delay of ICS.

Thats what I'm saying though. With the Gnex you know your going to get updates in a fiarly timely matter, with the Samsung... well who knows with their track record. I was saying that hopefully unlike the past Galaxy phones samsung will be quicker with developing the updates but again, who knows.

Thats what I'm saying though. With the Gnex you know your going to get updates in a fiarly timely matter, with the Samsung... well who knows with their track record. I was saying that hopefully unlike the past Galaxy phones samsung will be quicker with developing the updates but again, who knows.

The difference with the GSIII is that the only barrier to updates is Samsung. Unlike previous Samsung phones, there aren't ten different versions of the same basic platform, with tons of carrier customizations. There are pretty much three versions - the international, the NA GSM, and the NA CDMA. Once one of them gets official JB, the others will follow very quickly. The GS and GSII had a huge delay between each version getting an update. And if nothing else, the development community can get updates out very fast due to widespread adoption of the phone. There are already JB builds of CyanogenMod that are progressing very quickly.

I think the Snapdragon S4 has is 3G dual-radio (GSM/CDMA friendly). So the phone is technically international for all (Verizon and Sprint's version have hidden/locked-in SIM cards). So the difference on the US carriers are AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mo blocking Google Wallet and the carrier specific applications. But I don't expect the JB update to happen till after the next round of Google Nexus devices.

I think the Snapdragon S4 has is 3G dual-radio (GSM/CDMA friendly). So the phone is technically international for all (Verizon and Sprint's version have hidden/locked-in SIM cards). So the difference on the US carriers are AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mo blocking Google Wallet and the carrier specific applications. But I don't expect the JB update to happen till after the next round of Google Nexus devices.

The verizon version uses regular sim cards. You could technically put in a gsm sim. Several verzion lte phones including the razr and rezound already have been confirmed to work on gsm when there was no documentation that they had gsm radios. Verizon has since officially supported it on the razr.

The difference with the GSIII is that the only barrier to updates is Samsung. Unlike previous Samsung phones, there aren't ten different versions of the same basic platform, with tons of carrier customizations. There are pretty much three versions - the international, the NA GSM, and the NA CDMA. Once one of them gets official JB, the others will follow very quickly. The GS and GSII had a huge delay between each version getting an update. And if nothing else, the development community can get updates out very fast due to widespread adoption of the phone. There are already JB builds of CyanogenMod that are progressing very quickly.
just because there are similarities in the versions doesn't mean the updates will roll out OTA at similar times... we all know how long verizon takes to "certify" updates for its network, even on Nexus hardware!

No, there will still be the same 4 month Carrier testing bullshit.

All 5 GS2 devices got 'leaked' ICS builds around the same time. The international got it's official back in Feb (iirc), while the US variants took until last month -- not because of Samsung, but because of the carriers.

Mark my words, it will be at least a 3 month delay between the GS3 update and the US GS3 update.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Adreno 225 sucks even when compared to devices from one year ago. Even the Nexus Galaxy GPU beats it in some benchmarks.

Who cares? It runs every phone game around at blazing speeds with full effects. You won't be running Crysis on your phone regardless, anyway.

My Droid Incredible gave up the ghost the day Best Buy put up the GNex for "free". I really wanted to go prepaid, even with the crappy coverage in my rural area, but, well, can't pass up "free" when I wouldn't be able to afford full price for a couple months (was saving up for the next Nexus).

I've been very happy so far. The radios are pretty damn slow to switch states, but we all make compromises. No screen issues visible. I'm not on the cutting edge, but I have a pocket computer that works, and it's gonna have dev support for a long, long time. Can't ask for more.

This thread should be re-titled, "2012 Ford Mustang vs. 2011 Ford Focus." That would make it clearer.

Back