Samsung 840 Pro -- Owners Report

Hi! thats my 840, I can't boost "Random Read/Write (IOPS)" up to 90k, in Magician only see 60k, something it's wrong? (mounted on P67 UD4 rev. b3 @sata3 AHCI and TRIM on, C1/C3 off)

840pro%20bench.png

PD. I answer to myself, needed install SATA3 driver from Marvel and Intel, now the performance is improved:

840pro%20bench_satadriver.png

Last edited:
Well you guys are having better luck than I am. For awhile I was running Linux Mint, then I went to crunch bang for a month. Everything was great till I tried to install Windows.

Windows 7 & 8 both fail during the install. It starts, allows me to enter the keys and copies all the files over with no issue. After the restart the screen just stays blank. After 5-10 mins it will flash a error screen and restart. Windows 8 will boot back up saying there was an "error", please restart the installation.

I tried a trial version of Server 2012 and it was able to install without any issues. :/ Not wanting to use Server 2012 I decided I would install Linux Mint 15. LM15 also fails during the install. Saying there was an error with I/O. I was able to use GSmartControl when I had LM15 up and runing from the Live CD. The SSD passed the test.

Looks like I'll have to try and RMA the drive or go back to crunchbang. :/

Clearly you must mean the monitor...

The drive is clearly defective. I've already requested the RMA and the drive is going back.

Hello !

I had one of my two 840 Pros die (?) this week.

Here's the story, and a plea for help (see the end of message) from someone knowledgeable :

I bought two 840 Pro (256Gb) in mid February 2013.
Both came with DXM03B0Q firmware.
As I purchased after reading through all relevant 840 Pro AnandTech articles I was aware of the firmware issues and the first thing I've done was upgrading (from bootable ISO created with Samsung Magician) to version DXM04B0Q.

One of the drives was setup as system drive with Win 8 Pro.
That drive has been going since and hasn't thrown any problems at all.

The other drive was setup as storage for my video work.

Both were formatted NTFS (with default cluster sizes) and connected to native Intel SATA III ports on my Asus P8P67 Mobo.

As I said the system drive is going strong (fingers crossed) so the rest of the story concerns the other (storage) drive.

All was well for a while.
After a couple of months the drive started "disappearing" from SATA bus.
This behaviour was random and I could never recreate it at will (technician's nightmare).
A reboot or a Cold Boot would always bring it back, though.
In the process, I eliminated SATA cables and ports by replacing cables and running the drive from a different port.

The other day the drive has gone for good.
It appears dead.
Well, almost - read on.

Almost all symptoms I'm having are same or similar to other tales of 840 Pro woes I, since, read.

Drive does not show inside BIOS nor on the POST screen readouts.
When connected to SATA bus it is preventing my machine from booting to desktop.
The machine's HDD access LED stays firmly lit during boot-up process and the screen never gets to desktop.
If I physically disconnect the drive during the boot-up the said HDD access LED resumes the usual random flashes indicating reading from System Drive and System loading and, seconds later the boot completes and I get to the desktop.

If I now connect the faulty drive again - (My MoBo supports HotPlugging) the HDD access LED lights up solid but no drive appears in Windows explorer or Windows Disk Management console.

The drive appears in Device manager, however, but under a generic name, ie : "SAMSUNG SATA SSD" (caps intentional) as opposed to "Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series" (which is how my System drive appears next to it under Device Manager). My "Safely Remove Hardware" green icon also appears in the System tray and lists the drive (under "SAMSUNG SATA SSD").
If I attempt to click on it - nothing happens (ie : no usual message "Safe to Remove", etc ...).
All the while, from the moment of hot-plugging the drive the HDD access LED stays firmly lit.

Neither Windows Explorer nor Disk Management Console nor Samsung Magician utility see the drive.

If I leave the drive connected and proceed to shut down the machine I get the same behaviour as the one described during the start-up, ie :
HDD access LED stays lit while the machine remains in "Shutting Down" screen yet never actually shuts down until I physically pull the drive out from the HotPlug bay. At this point HDD access LED resumes the familiar flashing pattern indicating read/write processes on System Drive and the machine eventually shuts down after a few seconds.

I eliminated further variables by connecting it as an external drive using a SATA->USB3 enclosure.
No play :(

As I have some data on this drive I'd hate to loose (surprise, surprise ...) - here's my $1000000 question :

Since the drive entry appears in Device Manager after hot-plugging the drive - is there any Windows-based (not DOS) software that will allow me to access the drive to perform either a firmware re-flash (a new DXM05B0Q firmware is now available) or data recovery ?

To recap : the drive does not appear in BIOS nor Windows Explorer nor Windows Disk Management Console nor is it seen by Samsung Magician nor any other Windows (or DOS - I tried SpinRite) utilities I know of.

Please advise.

Well you guys are having better luck than I am. For awhile I was running Linux Mint, then I went to crunch bang for a month. Everything was great till I tried to install Windows.

Windows 7 & 8 both fail during the install. It starts, allows me to enter the keys and copies all the files over with no issue. After the restart the screen just stays blank. After 5-10 mins it will flash a error screen and restart. Windows 8 will boot back up saying there was an "error", please restart the installation.

I tried a trial version of Server 2012 and it was able to install without any issues. :/ Not wanting to use Server 2012 I decided I would install Linux Mint 15. LM15 also fails during the install. Saying there was an error with I/O. I was able to use GSmartControl when I had LM15 up and runing from the Live CD. The SSD passed the test.

Looks like I'll have to try and RMA the drive or go back to crunchbang. :/

Just as an FYI I had this same problem, and it was NOT drive related.
I actually replicated it 6 times in one day, 3 on one system 3 on another, and then on my 3rd system I was able to finally get windows 7 and the SSD to install.

It's another brand SSD, but it wasn't the SSD problem.

There must have been some other hardware issue.

I should also note that the 2 systems that had the error / missing drive / win hang / etc were OLDER systems running XP previously. One was a C2D and one was a P4.

However, the system I was able to install on was ALSO a Core2Duo.

My system

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Asus M4A89GTD Pro
8GB RAM

I replaced the SSD with a 1TB drive I had laying around and installed Windows 8 without any issues. Same CD and hardware except the SSD.

The replacement is already on its way. Hopefully it was a defective drive and the new one will work without any trouble. ;)

Back