Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb $139

Overpriced in my opinion, especially considering the 128GB 830s were down to $70 each within the last month or two. Doesn't look like there's many around now (tis ok, I bought 3), but this is double the price =(

It's a slight deal compared to what they've been selling for, but yeah... You pay an inordinate premium for having the fastest drive around right now. I'm super happy with my two 128GB 830 (paid $200 & $70, tho the first one came with Batman Arkham City bundled), but I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for the 840 Pro.

Better off with a Crucial M4 or a Plextor M5S/P, catch a deal on one of those or the 830 and you can end up with double the capacity for nearly the same money. I'd probably even consider the 840 vanilla before this, even tho it's a TLC drive, prices on it will probably keep falling and for certain uses it's more than fine.

I'm actually kind of curious how these "newer" SATA 3 SSDs fair against last year's cream of the crop

Two big names come into mind....Corsair Neutron GTX and Samsung 840 PRO....both boast the fastest in class performance, and both came out within a month or so....I'm just wondering how do these new SSDs compared to older ones such as Crucial M4 or Samsung 830? Is it just benchmarks and e-peen, or do you actually notice a real world difference? I haven't done much research, but my guess is it's mostly e-peen performance? I'm thinking of just waiting for PCI-E SSDs instead of buying Neutron GTX or 840 PRO, since they are still limited to SATA 3...and they are already hitting their max

I'm wondering what H forum's opinion on this is? :)

Go to the SSD forum for that info.

M4 -> 840 PRO --- Look @ ANANDs comparison pretty big deal IMHO.

500mb/s doesn't mean much to many people but increasing the seek time is noticeable to everyone pretty much, especially power-users or people on their system ALL the time.

e

You wouldn't notice the difference unless the higher sequential writes at certain capacities are a concern, but you'd need an equally fast source drive/array for that to matter. They're certainly faster but unless you're doing something pretty esoteric they're all just as fast as it gets. If you had a usage case that demands faster I/O you'd probably know it. We're a ways away from PCI-E drives being mainstream...

You wouldn't notice the difference unless the higher sequential writes at certain capacities are a concern, but you'd need an equally fast source drive/array for that to matter. They're certainly faster but unless you're doing something pretty esoteric they're all just as fast as it gets. If you had a usage case that demands faster I/O you'd probably know it. We're a ways away from PCI-E drives being mainstream...

I'm mostly a gamer. I don't do any transferring of large files or copying/pasting....I do appreciate a fast system....My 256gb M4 is serving me well, but I'm just wondering how much faster can it really get? This is all assuming I stay with a single SATA 3 drive....which the 840 PRO and Neutron GTX currently are. I'm just guessing that SATA 3 is at it's limit, and if you already have an M4, or decent enough SSD, going with these "newer faster SATA 3" SSDs won't be much of a difference....might as well wait for PCI-E ones, and those hit over 1k gb/s ready/write

Back