Samsung: 5G Is Several Hundred Times Faster Than 4G

I still remember the sham that is 4G.

Yeah, bro, this is totally faster than my home broadband.

To me, for phone use, the bandwidth/spectrum density, and power consumption trump everything else.

Max overall speed doesn't matter, as long as speed is fast enough for regular browsing and streaming internet radio.

For all heavy bandwidth usage, home broadband is the way to go.

I call bullshit on Samsung's 100x faster crap...

Even if it is, you would have to be touching the 5G antenna with your cell phone, and after that, the cell tower would have to have at least a 10GB backend pipe to the internet, and thats NOT gonna happen...

And after all that, just how much bandwidth do you think the telephone companies are going to let you use, and for how much???

4G is already a load of crap, good luck getting anywhere near a real 150Mb/s throughput.

With how crappy data caps are - seems to me like they should be focusing on rolling out more reliable, saturated networks that people can actually use.

so you can blow threw your cap 100x faster.... doesnt matter how fast "5G" is if you have a 20GB data cap and insane overage chargers
If you have a 20 GB cap w/ your cell phone provider, consider yourself very lucky. I technically have unlimited cap, but w/ my 3G speed, it's not like I can make use of it. With my next phone, Verizon will make me get a cap, so I'll probably be stuck w/ 2 GB. If that's still the case in 10 years or whenever 5G phones come out, that 2 GB cap will be blown scarily quickly. Also, if battery technology doesn't pick up, 5G will sap the hell out of it.

200 times the speed of 10mbps = 2000mbps = ~2gbps = ~.25GB/s ?

so uh,

12 seconds of internet access before the 3GB cap is hit?

Samsung - or any other company for that matter - can boast how fast future technology will be. We'll see how well their boasts are when the technology becomes "once commercialized".

Proof is in the pudding.

so you can blow threw your cap 100x faster.... doesnt matter how fast "5G" is if you have a 20GB data cap and insane overage chargers

Indeed. "5G" will be DOA unless these silly caps being 300MB , 1GB , 2GB , 5GB and finally 10GB.

Its not even worth the speed if you are constantly paranoid about your data cap.

I wish they'd just keep current speeds while fixing ping issues. When my phone does manage to connect and download, the speed is fine with 4G.

How do you figure? They said 10Gbps by 2020 for 5G, they stated they are ALREADY capable of 1Gbps.

LTE Advanced Release 10 could already do 1Gbps. Most providers were transitioning to that to support voice. And future LTE standards can probably do 10Gbps by that point as well.

Samsung also is using a spectrum that no one is licensed for. The capacity enhancements they are crowing about is inherit with higher frequencies. Problem is higher frequencies don't tend to penetrate buildings well. Who cares if 10Gbps is possible if you have to be two miles or less from the tower, and outside to get it.

And as it's been said already 5G does not exist currently. They did it to generate PR when the industry was already on the way to what they are proposing. Don't fall for the BS.

Back