Samsung: 5G Is Several Hundred Times Faster Than 4G

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung says the days of weaksauce 3G to 4G speed upgrades are a thing of the past. The company claims that its 5G will be several hundred times faster than current 4G networks. :eek:

Once commercialized, 5G mobile communications technology will be capable of ultra-high-speed data transmission up to several hundred times faster than even the 4G LTE-Advanced technology due for launch later this year.

so you can blow threw your cap 100x faster.... doesnt matter how fast "5G" is if you have a 20GB data cap and insane overage chargers

I'd rather they make 4G work with 1/10 the power instead.

My LTE is already faster than my home connection. It's fast enough. Just make it not blow up my battery.

I'll wait for it to be deployed so we can get 4G speeds. Carriers always oversell their network so they can't deliver anywhere close to theoretical speeds. Like 3g service will get you 2g speeds, 4g service 3g speed, etc.

I honestly can't comprehend how cell-phone bills are what they are at.

Everyone has a cell-phone. Even the poorest of the poor have talk, data, text, and 3G/4G. If you think that dictates $50-70/month per phone, that is just insane at this point in technology. Charging by MB/Text#/Talk Minute still? What the fuck.... My fiancee just recently switched to T-Mobile and managed to get the bill down from $110 to $80 for 2 smartphones - too bad it came at the cost of some bad coverage.

Cell-phones are living proof that parts of capitalism is a failure - though government support for individuals is part of the problem as well.

Such a stupid name. "5G" ,as Samsung dubs it is actually compliant to the actual 4G spec... Unlike LTE or Woman.

Everyone has a cell-phone. Even the poorest of the poor have talk, data, text, and 3G/4G. If you think that dictates $50-70/month per phone, that is just insane at this point in technology. Charging by MB/Text#/Talk Minute still? What the fuck.... My fiancee just recently switched to T-Mobile and managed to get the bill down from $110 to $80 for 2 smartphones - too bad it came at the cost of some bad coverage.

Cell-phones are living proof that parts of capitalism is a failure - though government support for individuals is part of the problem as well.

$80 for 2 smartsphnes wow ... I got $100+ for 1 smartphone with AT&t , maybe its time to switch after 8 years with AT&t

#1 Bandwidth cap.
#2 2020
#3 Need more 4G coverage.

Nobody will care about 5G.

My LTE is already faster than my home connection. It's fast enough. Just make it not blow up my battery.

This.

Since I have access to WiFi at home & work, I set my phone to 2g. WiFi takes less power than 4g, and by shutting off 4g I can get 30-50% longer battery life. I only switch on 4G if I'm elsewhere and need the speed.

$80 for 2 smartsphnes wow ... I got $100+ for 1 smartphone with AT&t , maybe its time to switch after 8 years with AT&t

T-Mobile has great prices, as long as you pay for your phones up front (no $99 subsidized iphones)

I you don't care about using an older, cheap) smart phone (like some give away for free with a 2 year contract), then T-Moble plan can be a bargin. However, if you always have to have the latest, most expensive $600 phone, then you won't be saving much.

I'll wait for it to be deployed so we can get 4G speeds. Carriers always oversell their network so they can't deliver anywhere close to theoretical speeds. Like 3g service will get you 2g speeds, 4g service 3g speed, etc.

This is where Verizon shines in comparison to the others, much more consistent good speeds than ATT.

This is where Verizon shines in comparison to the others, much more consistent good speeds than ATT.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty impressed with AT&T's coverage and none of this extended 4GLTE stuff. You either have LTE or you don't. With that said, I'd like to see if anyone utilizes these 64 antennas. I wonder if the carriers will charge for speed tiers and they can enable or disable antennas for more money.

I was just in the middle of nowhere in northern Vermont on Lake Champlain...

I had 3 bars of 4G service on Verizon.

While not as amazing as many would have you believe, Verizon certainly was a step up from AT&T.

IMHO:

Verizon >> AT&T >> T-mobile > Sprint >> Other minor players

This is a very good point. I certainly hope the next generation focuses more on power!

I wonder what all the capitalistic app makers, businesses that push deal notifications through texts, and the capitalistic small businesses that make a living off fixing cell phone would say about this.

so you can blow threw your cap 100x faster.... doesnt matter how fast "5G" is if you have a 20GB data cap and insane overage chargers

Well, one of the claims the cell carriers make regarding why they can't have net neutrality, and why costs for data are high is due to limited available spectrum.

To me, the 5g data transfer speed for a single device is less interesting than the overall ability to deliver bandwidth to many devices in a area using the limited available spectrum.

If 5G can deliver as high speeds as claimed, it looks like it can shove a lot more data into limited spectrum than current solutions. This should have an interesting effect on spectrum supply and demand, and hopefully lower prices, and pull the rug out from under the carriers rationale for resisting net neutrality.

T-Mobile has great prices, as long as you pay for your phones up front (no $99 subsidized iphones)

I you don't care about using an older, cheap) smart phone (like some give away for free with a 2 year contract), then T-Moble plan can be a bargin. However, if you always have to have the latest, most expensive $600 phone, then you won't be saving much.

Actually, the Google Nexus 4 was $199 last I checked - or maybe it was a special that is no longer available ? Too lazy to check - either way, thats what my fiancee went with - bought it directly from Google Play.

Basically the price of a contract phone with no contract.

I don't care about speeds, just want less power usage, better coverage but most of all compatible networks so phones aren't manufactured "locked" to one carrier.

Actually, the Google Nexus 4 was $199 last I checked - or maybe it was a special that is no longer available ? Too lazy to check - either way, thats what my fiancee went with - bought it directly from Google Play.

Basically the price of a contract phone with no contract.

T-mobile's new plans do still offer you the ability to subsidize phones, but the price of doing so is not longer calculated into the monthly bill. Usually it's a $20 per month charge for each phone for 2 year, I think.

I'm just pissed off with them for trying to block my wifi hotspot application...

Capitalism......a failure?

Why? Because for only $80-$150/month you can get 2 electronic, handheld devices that can bounce data off of a satellite miles above the earth's surface to communicate with anyone in the world?

And to your point, EVEN THE POOREST CAN AFFORD THEM........

What an entitled nation of assholes we've become. Yes, this is most definitely a failure of the free-market.....:sarcasm:

I think the data caps/pricing is insane.

I pay $40-$45/month for 750 minutes share in 5 phones. I think it's insane to pay $40-$50/month for 1 phone.

Bring me $20/month unlimited data at fastest speed and we'll talk. That is for all 5 phones. Until then I'm minutes/text only.

Why? Because for only $80-$150/month you can get 2 electronic, handheld devices that can bounce data off of a satellite miles above the earth's surface to communicate with anyone in the world?

What an entitled nation of assholes we've become. Yes, this is most definitely a failure of the free-market.....:sarcasm:

.... It's not for the device, it's for the service. Derp de derp. The device is an initial upfront cost of $200 - $700 :rolleyes:

$60 for a service that amounts to little cost per carrier as the average person requires no 'service' other than pressing the on button. Multiply that by a family of 5 and you are at $300. Maybe you get a family discount and break it down to $250. MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO OVER YOUR MINUTES BILLY!

Given the competition, I just don't understand how these costs can be so outragous for a service that requires no actual physical service.

I'm as conservative as it gets, however I just don't see how this markup is able to fly in a free market society. (Hint: It shouldn't be).

You must be the same guy that wrote the "the middle class is shrinking because of the internet" article with that kind of logic. As "affordable" as it is, it isn't. As "great" the technology is, it could be better. Both things are directly related to companies influencing government by lobbying. Progress is purposely slowed by these companies, to ensure their own profitable future, despite it slowing the advancement of mankind as a whole.

We need more Teslas and less Edisons in this world.

"entitled" = corporate shill word.

Yest compared to countries in the world that more tightly control in a public fashion their telecommunications infrastructure, our cellular, internet and other networks are pathetically expensive, have pathetically slow speeds and pathetically poor coverage.

There are many things capitalism does very well. Infrastructure is not one of them. Healthcare is another. IMHO, all infrastructure should be run without a profit incentive. There is a reason small independent municipal broadband providers can offer fantastic internet speeds at a pittance of what the major ISP's charge for their lousy service.

The capitalistic model just isn't well suited for infrastructure. We have seen this time and time again. It's well suited for developing and manufacturing the technology used, both client side, and infrastructure side, but awful at owning and maintaining said infrastructure.

7xx times faster... 5xx times more expensive. Yup, sounds 'bout right, yo.

Service providers says: "Capable of 1 Gigabit"

What it really is: "Capable of 1 gigabit aggregate"

What you'll likely end up getting: Twice the speed of 4G.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure the technology is great, but once it gets into the hands of the telcos it becomes: "Yay! we can give basically the same shitty service to more people, charge more money becuase it's new and shiny and at less cost to us".

I don't talk on the phone very much any more, but when I do I am instantly sad that they still sound like an 80s walkie talkie because the telcos spread the bandwidth so thin to maximise profit.

They've clearly established a baseline of shittiness that people will tolerate, and strive to never exceed that.

.... It's not for the device, it's for the service. Derp de derp. The device is an initial upfront cost of $200 - $700 :rolleyes:

$60 for a service that amounts to little cost per carrier as the average person requires no 'service' other than pressing the on button. Multiply that by a family of 5 and you are at $300. Maybe you get a family discount and break it down to $250. MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO OVER YOUR MINUTES BILLY!

Given the competition, I just don't understand how these costs can be so outragous for a service that requires no actual physical service.

I'm as conservative as it gets, however I just don't see how this markup is able to fly in a free market society. (Hint: It shouldn't be).

I have yet to hear of a telecom company that runs with out any physical service. When you find one let me know though, because employing people to answer service calls, line technicians etc. doesn't add to the bottom line at all.

I would love to dump my ATT and save money but its either ATT or Verizon in my area Sprint and TMobile service sucks here I have had all the carriers in my area at least with ATT its a little cheaper then VZN and I get to send txts and browse while talking on my iphone.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure the technology is great, but once it gets into the hands of the telcos it becomes: "Yay! we can give basically the same shitty service to more people, charge more money becuase it's new and shiny and at less cost to us".

I don't talk on the phone very much any more, but when I do I am instantly sad that they still sound like an 80s walkie talkie because the telcos spread the bandwidth so thin to maximise profit.

They've clearly established a baseline of shittiness that people will tolerate, and strive to never exceed that.

idontalwayscellphone.jpg

Whoopy fucking doo, most of the country doesn't even have reliable 3G, with less then 20% having access to 4G... yeah, I see Providers just LINING up to make this happen in the next, ohhhh... say, 25 years?

Telecoms, be they cable or mobile use, have been screaming about shared funding vs 'out of pocket' expansion and modernization for 20+ years, all the while fucking the subscribers in the ass with their dicks wrapped in 30 grit sandpaper the whole time

Zarathustra[H];1039879015 said:
Still an accurate statement :p

I have yet to meet a 4G compliant woman :p

I dunno...I'd probably let Lethal or DeathPrincess be compatible with *my* 4G spec.

nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg

Who gives a shit about theoretical 5G speed?

The phone companies aren't building out the infrastructure to support the speed, and they're still jacking up prices.

We're paying more for less.

Back