samsung 275T

Not all of them. Only some highend models. I remember some Sony 21" Pro CRT tubes that were less than 1000.1 some were even 300.1. Don't get me wrong im not saying that a LCD has the same or better black levels.

depends on the age of the monitor aswell, my fw900 (2001 Model) Id say is definetly less than 50k:1 probably 10k-15k:1

im still thinking hard about a 275t or a 2490wuxi. be nice to see the wuxi in CS on how it ghosts.. vs the 275t alas its a useless endevor :p

as always undecided :p

I cant belive the hype that was caused about "input lag"... LOL guys i am a gamer and i dont know what the HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! This monitor kicks serious ass! I bought it a few months back for 1000 and i would still pay that amount because i love it! i am 28 and my eyes work great i dont notice any lag between this and my old 19" samsung 2ms response time.. I mean im sure there is but nothing i can notice. You guys can throw all the dirt you like on this monitor, but i OWN IT, and i cant say enough good things about it...

Yeah, fuck the critics. I ordered the 275T, this afternoon, and am counting down the days 'til its arrival!!! :D

I considered this monitor but when seeing it side-by-side with 24" monitors it didn't look like it was worth double the price. It's almost the cost of a high quality 32" Sharp 1080p TV that has a much better picture (but kinda sucks for web-browsing). But you don't buy a 27" because you want better web-browsing. :p

I considered this monitor but when seeing it side-by-side with 24" monitors it didn't look like it was worth double the price. It's almost the cost of a high quality 32" Sharp 1080p TV that has a much better picture (but kinda sucks for web-browsing). But you don't buy a 27" because you want better web-browsing. :p

The Sharp is nothing compared to this Samsung. I have been selling electronics for over 11 years now and Sharp sucks. I know they get a few good reviews but they suck. If you work with these LCD's everyday like I do you will see that Samsung and Sony are much better overall. Now that is just LCD TV’s not monitors. This Samsung is not in the same ball park. I had a 24" Dell and 24" Gateway and it’s not night and day from a 24" to a 27" but you can tell there is a difference in size. The only monitor that can compare is the Dell 27".

Sharp vs Samsung... LOL, thats like trading in your lexus for a buick because its got more leg room

depends on the age of the monitor aswell, my fw900 (2001 Model) Id say is definetly less than 50k:1 probably 10k-15k:1

If contrast is measured full screen white against full screen black, the difference is in the neighborhood of 15,000:1 or so with a CRT, at least that's what was measured on a GDM-F520. (Highest for LCD I've heard of is 2000:1 on a Sharp TV...)

If you measure with a white and black checkerboard pattern, the CRT will suffer from internal reflections, and that's when you start getting the contrast numbers in hundreds instead of thousands. And the LCD will not suffer in this fashion, which is why text is generally sharper on an LCD.

Both are valid ways to measure and both ways are used. However, since real life use isn't normally as harsh as a black and white checkerboard pattern, I think LCD contrast limitations are much more serious...at least in terms of multi-media apps....

(However, size is also an image quality factor and LCD's can be a lot bigger...)

I just ordered the 275T even if there is no HDMI input nor 1:1 aspect ratio option.
After owning the 2005FPW, 2407WFP A03 and 2407WFP-HC, this will be my first non Dell LCD monitor.

Interestingly, I saw the 275T at Future Shop and it was running at 1280*1024!?!?
This is like Jessica Alba wearing a clown suite...
What a waste!

Anyway, the input lag issue is exaggerated. I understand that some peoples are more sensitive that others, but it should not be a problem for most. IMO, the poor black problem that plagues LCD is a much more important issue. I have a Pioneer Kuro plasma and I must say that I am impressed by the black level it can achieve. I want a LCD with better black!

This monitor is starting to appeal to me because I've come to the realization that a 37" or 32" HDTV just isn't going to work for me.

I have an older monitor, Samsung 172x which was a BAMF when it came out. I see no lagging what-so-ever in FPS games, but I'm not sure if it means it's not there. I'm wondering what type of "lag" this really is. Anyone enlighten me a little more?

I already posted a Wiki article that explains input lag, go read it. It's not something you can see just by looking at the screen but it is there.

I already posted a Wiki article that explains input lag, go read it. It's not something you can see just by looking at the screen but it is there.

Thanks. I didn't originally see the link. I see the problem with input lag now and can see how 50ms could kill me sniping. Better start really researching this.

I just received my new 275T from NCIX ($938 + 6% GST + $0 shipping + free 8600GT) and I am very happy with it. Black is so much better than my previous 2407WFP-HC and no dark ghosting too!
How come there is no USB cable included?:confused:

I will calibrate this monitor soon and I will post my settings (brightness, contrast ratio, gamma, colors). I have a Spyder2 which gave me great results with my previous monitors.

I have been looking for an LCD that will replace my 2407WFP and I think the 275T just might be what I am looking for.

Is the base/stand hight adjustable?

Are black levels as good or better then the 2407WFP?

How even is the backlight?

Thanks for your real world feedback

Dave

Is the base/stand hight adjustable? YES
Are black levels as good or better then the 2407WFP? Much better
How even is the backlight? Almost perfect (but this can vary by unit). Uniformity is better than the 2407WFP which is already good

I used to own a 2407WFP and a 2407WFP-HC and the 275T is significantly superior.
The 275T features great black for a LCD (although, not in the same league as the Plasma Pioneer Kuro's black). This is really a strong point for this monitor

I do not find the dot pitch to be grainy but I had to move back the monitor a little.

My complaints are
1) Only one digital connection (DVI). No additional HDMI nor DVI.
2) Lacks full 1:1 support.
3) 2407WFP design looks a bit better.

The 275T remains a great monitor. Gaming on the 275T is an amazing experience.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2169597,00.asp

Why did you opt for the smasung 275T over the Dell 2707WFP?

What resolution are supported and is the scaling reasonable good?
I ask reasonable good, because I know native is always the best.

Thankd Again Dave

The scaling is not very good. Connecting a Wii or any low resolution device is not a good idea. The 2707WFP is not better in this area.
Almost any resolution under 1920*1200 is supported (1920*1080, 1680*1050, 1600*1200, etc...).

I picked the 275T because it was cheaper. I paid $940 (NCIX) with a free video card that I sold for $100 (net price is 840).

According to this thread the 275T is considered to be slightly better than the 2707WFP
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

That is exactly what I was thinking, and with the samsung you get a wider choice of vendord. Dell is not what they omce were.

Thanks Again, you have answered all of my questions right on the money, (pun entended).

Dave

Does the 275T support 1280x768?

I use this res. to make the fonts in windows bigger while maintaining the proper aspect ratio on my 2407WFP. Dell's specs for the 2707WFP omit both 1280x768 and 1280x800 in their list of presets, which makes no sense to me.

I am asking a lot of questions, because I want to avoid going the return process if at all possable.

Thanks again

Dave

Is the base/stand hight adjustable? YES
Are black levels as good or better then the 2407WFP? Much better
How even is the backlight? Almost perfect (but this can vary by unit). Uniformity is better than the 2407WFP which is already good

I used to own a 2407WFP and a 2407WFP-HC and the 275T is significantly superior.
The 275T features great black for a LCD (although, not in the same league as the Plasma Pioneer Kuro's black). This is really a strong point for this monitor

I do not find the dot pitch to be grainy but I had to move back the monitor a little.

My complaints are
1) Only one digital connection (DVI). No additional HDMI nor DVI.
2) Lacks full 1:1 support.
3) 2407WFP design looks a bit better.

The 275T remains a great monitor. Gaming on the 275T is an amazing experience.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2169597,00.asp

I am sure games as Age of Empires and other RTS games will do fine, but FPS games NOT due to the inputlag.

Dell 2407WFP-HC, inputlag? Yes, way too much
Samsung 275T, inputlag? Yes, more as double as much as the 2407WFP-HC..

I had the same model. Serious input lag. You go to click start and you have to wait a second for the mouse to catch up. Now imagine playing a game like that.
So irritating I sold it in less than 24 hours.

I have a Samsung 275T and BenQ FP241WZ. I used to have them placed side by side, and here are my complaints about 275T:

1. No 1:1 pixel mapping. Everything is automatically to widescreen with Full setting, which will be problem if I were to play older non-WS games. The 4:3 setting is to compress a widescreen to 4:3, which will make a regular 4:3 more compressed.

2. Terrible color fidelity or accuracy is a big turn off. Even though 275T claims to have 97% color gamet, it is just simply too red. Everything looks reddish comparing to other monitors including CRT that I have. I have to turn down the red (whatever it is called) setting to 42, even at that I still think the color is off.

3. Bad viewing angles regardless of what it claims. If I stared at the center of screen and about a foot distance away, I noticed the color changes on both sides of screen. Its viewing angle is simply not that good, feel like a TN panel even though it is supposed to be a S-IPS panel I heard.

4. Poor sharpness. When looking at fonts or pixels on the screen, I just feel 275T is not as sharp as FP241WZ (A-MVA panel). 275T just look fizzier, kind like my older Gateway 21" FPD2185W.

5. Input lag. I cannot comment on that because 275T is currently hooked up to older computers just to let my wife playing Sims 2 while I use FP241WZ (2/3 price of 275T) for my extreme gaming with 8800 Ultra.

I've had none of these problems. Clicking start brings up the menu real quick and the colors are vibrant and the text is very sharp. The only problem I have with the monitor is no HDMI input, HD mkv files look a bit washed out and it's expensive.

Great monitor for gaming, but if I could do it again, I would probably go with the cheaper FP241W.

I've gone back and forth on this "input lag" issue so much that I decided to wait on purchasing a 275T. I want a bigger LCD but don't want to make a rush decision I may regret. My 2407 (A03) does a great job for games, including FPS like Call of Duty 4. I've not noticed any input lag on my 2407. I'll buy a 27" LCD, eventually, though.

I am sure games as Age of Empires and other RTS games will do fine, but FPS games NOT due to the inputlag.

Dell 2407WFP-HC, inputlag? Yes, way too much
Samsung 275T, inputlag? Yes, more as double as much as the 2407WFP-HC..

I disagree!

According to http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y
the 275T input lag (30ms) is lesser than the 2407WFP-HC (29 - 46 - 54).
What is your source of information?

I have been the owner of the 2407 and the 275T and I do not feel any input lag with the 275T. For your information, I use a corded mouse and Vsync is turned off.

For those who are afraid of the Input lag, I suggest to test the 275T for yourself. If you feel the input lag (which is possible but most unlikely) then do not buy it!

I own a Spyder2 and the calibrated colors do not feature a red push.
In fact, this colors are just great.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2170014,00.asp
This is some of the best color temperature tracking we've seen on a PC display. It's a little on the cool side in the dark areas, as most LCDs are, but most LCDs seem to diverge further from the ideal 6500K line than the 275T does.
The RGB color tracking is absolutely fantastic...
We love the gamma adjustment and 6-color hue and saturation control (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow).

I disagree!

According to http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y
the 275T input lag (30ms) is lesser than the 2407WFP-HC (29 - 46 - 54).
What is your source of information?

I have been the owner of the 2407 and the 275T and I do not feel any input lag with the 275T. For your information, I use a corded mouse and Vsync is turned off.

For those who are afraid of the Input lag, I suggest to test the 275T for yourself. If you feel the input lag (which is possible but most unlikely) then do not buy it!

I own a Spyder2 and the calibrated colors do not feature a red push.
In fact, this colors are just great.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2170014,00.asp
This is some of the best color temperature tracking we've seen on a PC display. It's a little on the cool side in the dark areas, as most LCDs are, but most LCDs seem to diverge further from the ideal 6500K line than the 275T does.
The RGB color tracking is absolutely fantastic...
We love the gamma adjustment and 6-color hue and saturation control (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow).

average input lag is 33ms as tested by prad.de, the results are more less the same to the dell 2707 as shown on lesnumeriques. 33ms is bad, 20ms is absolute borderline for me, 25ms is too much. The lag is a side effect of the VA panel, there is no fix and no solution so live with it.

:confused:
Is is possible for peoples (human, of course) to notice the difference between 20ms and 25ms input lag???!!!!
Give me a break!

:confused:
Is is possible for peoples (human, of course) to notice the difference between 20ms and 25ms input lag???!!!!
Give me a break!

i didnt say I could notice it, I said 20ms is the absolute max for me, anything over 1 frame is too much so 16ms +- a few ms is OK.

I'm going to give this Monitor a go I think...

Check my rationale...

1) 27in is perfect for my desk, I had the Hanns-G 28in for 2 weeks (aweful panel) and the size was great. 30 inches would have sucked though. Coming from a 21in (Gateway 2185w) 24inches seems too small of a jump.

2) The only emerging technology (within 6 months) seems to be LED and those aren't going to be cheap for a year+ (I would imagine 24+ will be 1600$+ for a LONG time) or so and don't even solve panel issues, they merely increase the color gamut. I'd be happy at 97%

3) Game FPS stresses are going to hold 1920x1200 as the prime resolution for awhile it seems. Beyond that, I don't do SLI, I just dont, I don't care how compelling the 8800gt release is.

4) I dont console game so I don't need leet connectivity like the FHD2400 etc...

Question, one that was already broached kind --> How matte is the screen? It's obviously not glossy, but just how matte is it? I will say I really liked the glossy screen of the Gateway FHD 2400 I returned to Best Buy tonight.

Other Questions:
1) Where in the hell is BenQ's 27 inch offerings?
2) Do any online places do price protection?

I am surprised as well that BenQ does not have a 27" offering in this price range (1k $~) I have seen this screen,and the Dell 2707 in person,and the Sammy looked a bit better (Sammy was hardware calibrated though)

Someone here posted in passing that the 275T could display at 1680 x 1050. Since the specs don't list this speed, I was wondering if some one with this monitor could actually test it and physically verify that it can in fact run at 1680 x 1050?

I actually have the same question about the Dell 2707. Somebody already responded to my other thread that the 2707 could NOT do this, but this seems like a really strange situation. I have a 2407 that can do 1680 x 1050, and I thought that the 2707 would at least have similar resolution options.

Thanks,

Larry

So if you want to fill the screen with an image using the correct aspect ratio, the ONLY resolution these displays can use is 1920 x 1200? I'm rather amazed I don't see more people complaining about this. It's one thing to be locked into 1920 x 1200 for the desktop, but to have to use such a high res with certain games is a problem with lesser systems/graphics cards these days. Some games convert 4x3 resolutions to 16x10 -- i.e. they allow 1600x1200 to be used, but they convert this to a 16x10 ratio to display it. Other games, however, such as Half-life 2, do NOT do this, meaning that you either have to 1) use 1920x1200, which will result in poor framerates, 2) play the game with a stretched/squished image, or 3) play the game without filling the screen, which is a complete waste.

Don't more people find this to be an issue? This seems like a good reason to go with something like the 2407, which DOES allow 1680x1200 (at least the non "HC" version does.)

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry

I've been reading up on this, and now I'm finding posts from people saying that these monitors will display any resolution that the graphics card supports. I didn't see any posts specifically naming the 275T in this regard, but I did see a couple posts from people saying that the Dell 2707 COULD display at 1680 x 1050. Given this, now I'm wondering where the discrepancy in these reports is coming from -- i.e. I believe that these reports are honest, so why do some say they don't have a 1680 x 1050 option, while others do? Is it true that this is completely up to the graphics card, or do the monitor drivers ALSO have to specifically support other 16x10 resolutions like 1680 x 1050?

I'm really confused about what to expect with either the 275T OR the 2707 in this regard.

Thanks for any help in getting to the bottom of this,

Larry

I'm not sure which reports are claiming this monitor displays 1680 x 1050, but it's definitely not a resolution I can easily select in the nvidia control panel or desktop > personalize > display settings. Using the official samsung 1.0 driver too.

... n3w4yz..

Native resolution FTW. :)

I'm not sure which reports are claiming this monitor displays 1680 x 1050, but it's definitely not a resolution I can easily select in the nvidia control panel or desktop > personalize > display settings. Using the official samsung 1.0 driver too.

Here is a pretty compelling thread on another forum discussing this in regard to the 2707 (not the 275t, but still relevant to this discussion since the 275t is subject to the same questions.)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=856408

The original poster asks a few times for SPECIFIC confirmation on this question, and he gets pretty concrete answers, i.e:

Question: "Can somebody with a 2707wfp please confirm if you can run other widescreen resolutions such as 1680x1050?"

Answer: "Hey there, I have the 2707, and yes, you can run any res that your video card supports."

Question: "So to specify, you ran 1680x1050 and it all displayed fine, with no stretching, display going off the screen, etc?"

Answer: "Yes, 1680 X 1050 runs fine, it does not look as good as native, but it runs no problem."

What I'm unclear on is if he had to be in a game to get these resolutions, or if they were available in the regular windows display properties as well. I know that my 2407 offers 1680x1050 in the display properties, but the 2707 may be different.

Just out of curiosity, are the people reporting that they do NOT see 1680x1050 using the monitor's "official" drivers, or the native windows drivers?

Thanks again,

Larry

Back