Samsung 2493HM Info Thread

reductant

Limp Gawd
I guess this (as well as the 25.5" 2693HM model) are going to be introduced shortly. Please post if you find one.

2493HM Samsung Page
QuickGuide

24" glossy (?) TN panel (1920x1200, 160/160 horizontal/vertical viewing angles)
Price: $599
Video inputs: DVI-D, VGA, HDMI
Built-in speakers
Audio input: PC line-in, (HDMI)
Audio output: headphone jack
10,000:1 dcontrast ratio
400 cd/m2 brightness
5 ms response time
Scaling functions?
2-port USB hub
Height adjustment, 30 degree tilt, 350 degree swivel, pivot (into portrait mode)
Included in packaging is a VGA cable, USB cable, and color calibration software (and maybe a cleaning cloth)
3-year warranty (includes backlight coverage)

I'm using one right now. I teach in Korea. But I am pretty newb so it is hard for me to really evaluate this monitor correctly.

When it says it is 1080P compliant and has scaling does that mean it plays DVDs properly without stretching the aspect ration from 16:9 to 16:10?

When I play videos I get different sized black bars depending on the source file. So I am hoping there is no stretching.

Well I finally have my 2693HM up and running. I ran the software color calibration program, installed the drivers, and that was about it.

I really like it. For ~$650 (and that wasn't online or deal hunting) it seems to be pretty nice. It has a function that automatically determines what source (1080p/720p, etc...) a signal is coming from and my VLC player automatically displays the appropriate black bars. So I think it effectively has 1:1 mapping and no image stretching.

It is fast - I don't feel any lag in my games. Colors seem alright.

Anyways, I can't really compare it to much. But so far I am happy with my purchase.

Here are some great test shots of this monitor that reveal some flaws. This thing's not looking too great on darks.

According to google translator, this monitor is looking worse and worse.
-That backlight bleed with dynamic contrast off looks pretty bad.
-No 1:1 support (at least over HDMI) (this is strange because I thought the manual stated it had this function)

Pics

Its a TN panel, which I will stay away from. Was hoping Apple bring something new to the table, but once again a total let down

I read through the manual to see if it supports 1:1 pixel mapping. This monitor support A/V Mode (if I recall) and that is equivalent to 1:1 pixel mapping. It said something like: If any non-native PC resolution is displayed (720p, 1080i, 1080p) , the monitor will adjust the aspect ratio in accordance with the size. It also said for HDMI it is On as Default and is Off for DVI meaning it is almost 100% 1:1 pixel mapping.

Sorry if I butchered it.

I'm really liking my monitor (2693HM). It is about ~$600 on newegg.

It has a sweet picture for TN and it is fast without ghosting.

Obviously a S-IPS would be better (and fast enough unless you are a hardcore FPS player) I guess - but a lot more expensive. If you don't game then aPVA scree would probably better. But I think it fills a niche for those who want high speed and don't want to shell out big cash.

so really all they've done between the 2493 and the 245BW is to add crappy speakers, usb plugs, headphone jack and to improve the dynamic contrast and somehow this warrents a price increase of over $200???? thank you but no! try harder next time samsung.

its 499.00 shipped on newegg I'm still hope Benq comes out with A 24 inch X-series

No,

They added an HDMI as well. The monitor has HDMI, DVI, VGA

so really all they've done between the 2493 and the 245BW is to add crappy speakers, usb plugs, headphone jack and to improve the dynamic contrast and somehow this warrents a price increase of over $200???? thank you but no! try harder next time samsung.

if you're willing to pay the extra $200 for HDMI over DVI for a PC monitor i also have a bridge to sell you.

i'm not saying that its a bad monitor, i'm just saying that the pricing on it is utterly rediculous for what extra features you get.

No,

They added an HDMI as well. The monitor has HDMI, DVI, VGA

Up here in Canada the 245BW is $409.99 retail, and the 2493hm is $449.99 retail, so for an extra $40.00 I'd consider it a good deal. I was just adding a piece of info to your piece of info, so that the puzzle was completed.

Additionally, when adding a PS3 and Xbox 360 to the mix it is a more viable monitor to have those two devices and a PC connected, than would be a 245BW.

You and I both know that the whole Dynamic contrast stat is a crock, and it's likely the same panel model inside, but for those looking for a quick, gaming/console TN panel, it's not a bad proposition.

My personal preferences are S-IPS and VA type panels, but for the money, it's not a ripoff compared to the BenQ G2400W or the Gateway FHD2400, and it would be great if it sizes xbox 360 over vga at 1920x1080 properly, which the BenQ does not do.

Regards,

10e

if you're willing to pay the extra $200 for HDMI over DVI for a PC monitor i also have a bridge to sell you.

i'm not saying that its a bad monitor, i'm just saying that the pricing on it is utterly rediculous for what extra features you get.

BTW,

It is a matte screen. I found one at a local retailer.

The menu buttons are overly sensitive and irritating, though I'll give Samsung credit to put a height-adjustable stand on a TN panel that really needs it.

10e

There is < $100 street price difference between these monitors. It has pivot (portrait mode viewing) which in the number one reason I'm considering picking this up, in addition to the extra inputs. If you actually NEED the extra inputs, they could be worth a lot to you. Same with the pivot feature. There's also the 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, which I actually don't put a lot of faith in, since it's dynamic. Newegg says its glossy, is this true?

I already have a 2407, which I will move to my 2nd PC, or use as a 2nd monitor but I need something with CRT levels of low input lag for multiplayer gaming - lower than the 2407, PLUS pivot / portrait mode, plus the inputs for PC + 2 consoles, so as soon as I confirm this, I will probably pick this up.

I predict it will fall into the same price range (maybe $20-30 more) as the 245BW within a few months.

Has a signal delay test been done on this monitor yet? I've searched around and found nothing.

Back