Samsung 245BW, weird effect

bubbles

Limp Gawd
I just got a 245BW and after I started using it one of the first things I noticed was a weird effect which is hard to describe. It's like when you have a thin layer of dust or maybe water on an LCD you get that kind of grainy, sparkly effect, especially on white backgrounds. Sort of like when you look at a CRT TV really really close. It feels like there is a layer of something on the screen but I tried rubbing a spot and it still has that effect. I didn't notice this on my old 930B. Maybe just my eyes??

There also seems to be two dark bands running horizontally across the middle of the screen, I can notice when I have a solid color background on my desktop.

I'm using DVI.

The dark bands are hardly noticeable but my wife can see them too, so it's not just me.

I've seen similar,

It's usually a case of inconsistent anti-glare coatings being present on the screen. Every non-glossy monitor has them to varying degrees.

Funny enough, the worst I've seen of this is the Apple 23" Cinema display, where it almost looks like bright solid colors have nearly a "dithering" effect on them.

The best I've seen on a non-glossy/matte panel is the BenQ FP241W/VW. They seem to have a bit more glare, but the smaller amount of anti-glare gives the panel a smoother appearance.

It's one of those things that never is talked about in web site reviews, but I agree that it is not an attractive feature of any monitor.

Regards,

10e

I think that your eyes eventually just accept the anti-glare coating, unless it is REALLY bad, in which case using the screen is horrible. All Matte TFTs have this effect to some degree, although on my 2405fpw, it is virtually invisible. 30" IPS panels have this effect more pronounced.

EDIT: Your screen might have a defective coating, as I've not heard of sparkly coatings on TN screens, and I thought it was mainly for IPS based screens. Might be wrong though.

Yeah, a lot of it depends,

My Dell 2005FPW has it to a fair extent, but I'm used to it. It's almost like a 3d sparkle. It's a S-IPS screen. But my LG TV which is also S-IPS based doesn't have much of it, and it looks really good.

My Westinghouse is not too bad, but it has fairly inconsistent application of the antiglare. The BenQ FP241VW is very limited, and the G240W has a bit more than the FP.

Either way, there is nothing you can do about it. I've seen an article on how to remove it, but it could effectively destroy your screen. It involves sandpaper, Varsol, and a lot of work.

Not worth it IMHO.

Regards,

10e

It's not so noticeable now that I am used to it, and moved the monitor a bit further back. Just the usual buyers remorse i guess. Now the "dark top, bright bottom" TN thing is starting to bug me heh.

Back