• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung 2333T

Dowant, you'll enjoy this monitor. It really is a great deal. I was even able to get them to match pretty closely to my U23, as far as color.
 
first impressions of samsung 2333T.. AR screen is very unobtrusive, just thick enough to keep reflections away but feels smooth to the touch. WOW those are some nice black levels. Oh yeah, I do see the PVA ghosting just by moving the mouse around and following it with my eyes. Nice picture, good colors, calibrated fairly well out of the box. The Dell 2311 has not arrived yet. I hope they include a displayport cable with the monitor.


Looks a lot like my old soyo but better, colors have more pop, less of an AR coating maybe? Too bright by default, setting the contrast to 'dynamic' from 'custom' helps a lot, but still a bit bright. Will tweak somemore . Like it so far, though the lack of any stand adjust ability is a bit annoying, but I knew that going in. Still has the same VA viewing angle gamma shift however. Great monitor if you can grab one for 150 bucks.
 
Last edited:
Sharpness Comparison between U2311H and 2333T.

Dell
dell3.png


Samsung
samsung3.png


Dell
dell2.png


Samsung
samsung2.png


Dell
dell1u.jpg


Samsung

samsung1m.jpg
 
Last edited:
could you give some feedback about the glossy screen? i am just concerned because i have a lot of windows and lights. i have two windows behind my back
 
I have no glossy screen.
The 2333T has AG, but it's not as strong. U23's coating sucks for reading.
 
well this monitor sounds like a good deal to me. too bad it's 16:9. isn't there an equivalent samsung monitor 16:10?
 
No.

There's very few *va at all.

16:10 is very hard to find now, even in TN.
 
If you don't do fast-movement gaming, these monitors are a very good deal. The price vs image quality is excellent.
 
Currently on sale at Newegg for $160 with promo code EMCKGKJ47 until March 7th.
 
Currently on sale at Newegg for $160 with promo code EMCKGKJ47 until March 7th.

They have it at Tiger Direct and Circuit City for 149.99 without a code. You can get another 10 bucks off at CC if you sign up for their mailing list.
 
so is this pretty much the best bang for the buck for a 23" for a non gamer?
is it good with movies as well?

I think I am just giving up on 1920x1200 because they cost at least $350.
 
Last edited:
so is this pretty much the best bang for the buck for a 23" for a non gamer?
is it good with movies as well?

I think I am just giving up on 1920x1200 because they cost at least $350.

It is unknown. If it crushes dark tones like its predecessor, then it isn't worth recommendation. If it has good grayscale rendition, then it could be a good alternative to the U2311.

Also, for what it is worth, C-PVA and modern IPS subpixels have a somewhat comparable structure and in my experience there is no real difference in text sharpness. I can post pictures of the relevant pixels later if need be.
 
Whoisthisreally said:
It is unknown. If it crushes dark tones like its predecessor, then it isn't worth recommendation. If it has good grayscale rendition, then it could be a good alternative to the U2311.
It doesn't crush dark tones, but the white point doesn't quite match the rest of the grayscale. The grayscale has a bit more blue than the white point. Setting the RGB values to reduce blue helps somewhat, but the only way to fully alleviate this without a calibrator is to reduce the contrast, which I don't recommend unless the mismatch bothers you.

On my particular sample, the default gamma setting of Mode1 is closest to 2.2, and setting the RGB values to 50-40-28 is closest to 6500K. However, this panel has both a gamma shift and a red/green hue shift at slight angles.

The panel has a very smooth anti-glare surface, almost non-existent. I wish all matte monitors were like that.

Also, I measured a native contrast of about 2000:1, which is lower than the advertised 4000:1. I don't know if that's typical for this model or if I got a dud because the F2380 was able to get close to 3000:1.

The pixel structure is different from the F2380, so that may be a factor. The F2380 had diagonal segments like S-PVA, while the 2333T has rectangular segments instead. I'm not sure what the difference is for, but text quality is good.
 
Which color preset has the 2.2 gamma/is the best?

You probably got a dud panel, especially considering the red/green hue shift. What luminance did you calibrate it too? @120cdm/2 I get 0.038cdm/2 black on the MX.

Is the input lag still <7ms like on the other Samsung C-PVA panels?
 
Last edited:
I noticed the rounded bezels at the bottom side of the screen and was wondering how bad this would conflict for 3x1 or 5x1 portrait setup? I also was wondering if anyone has taken the plunge to remove the bezels.
 
It doesn't crush dark tones, but the white point doesn't quite match the rest of the grayscale. The grayscale has a bit more blue than the white point. Setting the RGB values to reduce blue helps somewhat, but the only way to fully alleviate this without a calibrator is to reduce the contrast, which I don't recommend unless the mismatch bothers you.

I would expect such behaviour at this price point. The issue is not whether it achieves a specific 2.2 gamma using the OSD, but whether its image is acceptable for users.

The pixel structure is different from the F2380, so that may be a factor. The F2380 had diagonal segments like S-PVA, while the 2333T has rectangular segments instead.

Can you coincide this change with any worsening in colour shift behaviour over the F2380?
 
The MagicBright presets didn't mess with the gamma. They are simply brightness/contrast/color presets. I just used the default custom preset and adjusted the other settings as necessary. I used the default contrast setting of 75. Going higher blows out the brightest shades and makes the white/grayscale mismatch worse. Gamma Mode1 was closest to 2.2. Custom RGB 50-40-28 was closest to 6500K on my unit.

The contrast was around 2000:1 regardless of the brightness. There wasn't any significant backlight bleeding, so I don't know why it was so low. It might be a dud because of the contrast, but a dud panel is not going to change the viewing angles.

This video shows the same red/green hue shift on the F2380MX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WQfI2KYuY
f2380mx-hue-shift.jpg


Here is a picture with several shades of gray to make the problem obvious:
2333t-hue-shift.jpg

That's due to the viewing angles, not an actual uniformity problem. Here is the test image: http://www.toastyx.net/square-pattern-1080p.png

I'm not sure if the original F2380 had the hue shift. I remember thinking the left side seemed a little greener, but I don't remember the red shift at all. Unfortunately, I don't have any gray screen pictures of the original F2380, and the other pictures I took of the F2380 don't show any obvious hue shift. Other PVA panels I've used only had a slight yellowing at an angle.

Here is a picture of the pixel structure on the 2333T:
2333t-pixels.jpg

That's definitely not the same as the original F2380.

I didn't get a clear of a shot of the pixels on the original F2380, but there were visible signs of diagonal segmentation:
f2380-pixels.jpg


There's still no lag, but the pixel response times are still slow. Like the original F2380, the response time setting doesn't seem to do anything.
 
Hopefully some of the other 2333t owners in here will chime in on the red/green hue shift and gamma shift (refer to toasty X's mountain picture, this is what his 2333t looks like, and this is his IPS EA231 ). Panda=Sad if this is another case of the IPS Syndrome when it comes to QC. You should really go through Samsung to get a replacement, would be interesting to get some info on their customer service these days.

I have used/calibrated 2x F2380/1x F2380MX, none of which have had the hue shift or backlight bleeding. Contrast on the MX is pretty much 3700:1+ in all the Presets, 3,000:1 after calibration.

Most people don't stare at shades of greys. For regular usage +movies/games that won't be an issue.
 
Hopefully some of the other 2333t owners in here will chime in on the red/green hue shift and gamma shift (refer to toasty X's mountain picture, this is what his 2333t looks like, and this is his IPS EA231 ). Panda=Sad if this is another case of the IPS Syndrome when it comes to QC. You should really go through Samsung to get a replacement, would be interesting to get some info on their customer service these days.

I have used/calibrated 2x F2380/1x F2380MX, none of which have had the hue shift or backlight bleeding. Contrast on the MX is pretty much 3700:1+ in all the Presets, 3,000:1 after calibration.

Most people don't stare at shades of greys. For regular usage +movies/games that won't be an issue.


Give me the tests you want me to do, and I'll do you one better - a video.
 
Can't we all agree however, that for the price this is much better than a TN if you're not gaming?
 
my 2333t just arrived an hour ago and so far im very pleased
+ displays 72hz, input lag seems very low, very good colors, backlighting pretty even, insane black levels*
- blur pretty insane too, gamma shifts and shiny grey tones when sitting too close

not sure if i send mine back
my panel is slightly tilted and not in a centered position
the backlighting also makes a bit of noise
but if i send it back i'll definitely order another one

easily the best tft i've ever had and a very good deal for its price



edit: by black levels i mean i can see all squares at lagom's black level test
black itself is a pretty dark grey
 
Last edited:
my 2333t just arrived an hour ago and so far im very pleased
+ displays 72hz, input lag seems very low, very good colors, backlighting pretty even, insane black levels
- blur pretty insane too, gamma shifts and shiny grey tones when sitting too close

not sure if i send mine back
my panel is slightly tilted and not in a centered position
the backlighting also makes a bit of noise
but if i send it back i'll definitely order another one

easily the best tft i've ever had and a very good deal for its price

can you talk more about the blur, insane? that's a strong statement.
from whom did you buy?
 
moving the cursor on the current world of warcraft login screen makes it really dark and kinda blurred together with the background
you have to stop moving it for a few frames till its bright and sharp again

moving 3d objects in 3ds max makes them temporarily change their color too

moving a 2d window blurs more than my 8 year old tn and the cursor also leaves quite a blur-tail



i bought it from a german shop for 125 euros
 
moving the cursor on the current world of warcraft login screen makes it really dark and kinda blurred together with the background
you have to stop moving it for a few frames till its bright and sharp again

moving 3d objects in 3ds max makes them temporarily change their color too

moving a 2d window blurs more than my 8 year old tn and the cursor also leaves quite a blur-tail



i bought it from a german shop for 125 euros

are you sure your panel is not defective? blurring on moving 2d windows seems bad.
are you using VGA or DVI?
 
are you sure your panel is not defective? blurring on moving 2d windows seems bad.
are you using VGA or DVI?
no i'm just using a crt as main monitor ;)

i'm using dvi with the default "faster" overdrive setting ("fastest" hardly makes a difference on first look)
 
You can use a DVI to HDMI cable.
I've done it. Used it as a TV this way, minus the sound - used samsung 5.1.

Why skip a monitor because of that?
 
You can use a DVI to HDMI cable.
I've done it. Used it as a TV this way, minus the sound - used samsung 5.1.

Why skip a monitor because of that?

I need to connect both my PS3 and PC :)

edit; also the upcoming ew2430 is 24" vs 23" for the Samsung, so that does sway my decision a bit also.
 
Yeah.

And how does connecting your PS3 or PC negate my statement? Use a DVI to HDMI cable.
 
Yeah.

And how does connecting your PS3 or PC negate my statement? Use a DVI to HDMI cable.

I don't want to unplug and plug in a different cable every time I want to use one or the other? Is that so hard to understand?
 
I must say that the AG coating on the 2311 is plainly obvious and man the more I stare at the samsung and the Dell side to side the more I love the samsung. Vibrant crisp screen that pops out at ya. No amount of tweaking aside from cranking the brightness way high can hide the fact that the AG screen on the Dell definitely has a negative effect on the picture quality. Wish I could take the AG coating off the samsung, and put it on the Dell.

Had no idea how much simple RGB calibration can make. When I stumbled upon 91 red, 90 blue, and 97 green it was like a moment of spiritual clarity for me.. suddenly all the subtle colors in my favorite sites look just as they should. Brings everything to life.. look at all these different subtle shades of color! Examples.. godlikeproductions.com, slickdeals.net
 
Last edited:
Back
Top