• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung 226BW Backlight going out?

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
1,666
so I was gone for a couple days and had my monitor turned off. I turned it back on this morning when I got home and it didn't show any signs of life besides power button surround light, then 30 seconds into that the backlight started flickering on and off very quickly (about 5 times a sec) for about 4-5 minutes before returning to normal, I have had it on all day without any issues or dullness in the backlight... so should I start looking to replace it soon?
 
Same thing started to happen to me yesterday. Turned the monitor on, got a strobe light effect for about 2 or 3 minutes and then back to normal. Bought it ~3 years ago, thinking of replacing the dual monitors with a large 42" TV when the 226bw dies.
 
yep that's what mine did... I bought mine back in mid 2008, but when it dies I plan on getting either a single 26-28" or dual 22"s not sure yet....
 
Sorry to revive an old thread but my 226bw has started to do the same thing. I did a little research and came across this thread on overclock.net:

http://www.overclock.net/t/636236/samsung-226bw-flickers-for-a-few-minutes-when-powering-on

Apparently it's a known issue related to bad capacitors and can be fixed. I've found some info here on HardForum for other monitors but has anyone successfully fixed a 226bw with this issue? I was all set to get a new monitor thinking mine was dying but now I'm debating if I should or not.
 
whoa. My 226bw is 5yo. It worked perfectly but U2312HM should arrive today :)

I am a bit worried to sel my 226bw tho ;/ What if it breaks the other day and the guy will want a refund
 
I've had mine about 5 and a half yrs and the problem started a few weeks ago although apparently it can happen as early as 2 years. I have no idea how widespread the issue is. The other thing is that you'll need to replace all the capacitors because there's no guarantee one that's still good now won't go bad later.It also appears not everyone has success with the fix but that could be a result of not doing it properly.

Let me know how you make out with the U2312HM as that's my top choice replacement. I'm interested to hear what it's like going to that from the 226bw, and if the AG coating is really noticeable or not.
 
I had a similiar problem on my 226BW a few years back.

Replaced the capacitors, and it's still working today.
 
I've had mine about 5 and a half yrs and the problem started a few weeks ago although apparently it can happen as early as 2 years. I have no idea how widespread the issue is. The other thing is that you'll need to replace all the capacitors because there's no guarantee one that's still good now won't go bad later.It also appears not everyone has success with the fix but that could be a result of not doing it properly.

Let me know how you make out with the U2312HM as that's my top choice replacement. I'm interested to hear what it's like going to that from the 226bw, and if the AG coating is really noticeable or not.

My U2312HM just arrived and the difference is quite noticable! It is just as big as 226bw but a bit wider. Although it seems somehow smaller but thats allright.

To start. My 226bw was a C panel from late 2007.

Ok. Lil review. First thing I've noticed is how bright, vibrant and colorful the new screen is! That is at default standard profile and 75 cont/bright. Everything looks way more full of colours. I did direct screen next to screen comparison and 226bw wasnt as bright at 100brightness and it's whites are yellow compared to new dell.

The shock came when I realized how good viewing angles are. This is my first ips and the screen looks great from every angle. I am learning not to raise my head during dark scenes in movies or games. I couldnt go back to tn just because of that.

The the osd. It is very good and intuitive. Sammy osd was also good but this is even better. There is aspect ratio for 4:3 and 5:4 and even favourites options can be binded to buttons on the bezel.

I am yet to test it longer. Those are my first impressions.

The asked ag coating is doing better job to devour sunlight than 226bw did :p
It IS noticable. But only on white background and from up close. Not a problem for me. I prefer ag.

So coming from 226bw it is improvement on all aspects. Ohhhh and there is no ghosting at all. At least from what I tested.

And somehow 16:9 feels like a relief. Now trailers and movies fit the screen.


Also, no buzzing sound,. Revision A06 july


I don't have experience with othe ipss but I think I can easily recommend it. Just dont expect that it will be bigger than 226bw

I want to sell my 5yo 226bw. It is in perfect state... But now I am worried that it will die month after I will sell it and the buyer will be upset
 
Back
Top