Samsung 2233rz review - the 120hz revolution begins

I just picked up a 2233rz and would be interested to know the settings people are using for movies, games, etc.

Thanks.

Well I fianally got my Alienware 120Hz Aw-2310

I picked it up on a 80.00 of sale. Two days later Dell has it for 100.00 off and they don't match their own prices. It would require me to send it back then reorder it. Not worth the 20.00. Nice job Dell.

I was not too happy with the top backlight bleed. I never really thought about bleed in the past. I have like 8 other LCDs. I checked them all, the only one with bleed is one that can do 75 hz, Acer 1716.

It was enough that I could see the 1/2 inch band (top edge) during normal colored areas while playing a game. It was a show stopper for me. Until...... I found a review of this monitor in which the fellow calibrated it using some software. I simply copied his settings to my Alienware. It made more of a difference that I expected. Now the bleed is almost gone. It was there in all the presets too, the gaming or the normal.

Here is the site.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275899900

The brightness had to be turned down quite a bit.
In case the link goes bad I'll post some of his article on what to change.
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 50
Input Color Format: RGB
Mode Selection: Graphics
Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Response time: Overdrive
RGB: Custom
• R: 92
• G: 84
• B: 84

Out-of-Box After calibration
Black level 0,26 cd/m2 0,18 cd/m2
Brightness 226 cd/m2 129 cd/m2
Contrast ratio 869:1 717:1

Now its a Monitor to be reckoned with.

120hz is nice and I can feel and see the differences in just about everything from the desktop to games. And you don't need the game to be running at 120hz to see this improvement.

The games that seemed like a new game to me. Because you do get all the goodies if it can also run near 120fps. (remember this is with VSYNC turned OFF.

Serious Sam HD. Updated graphics and it still runs super fast. To be able to rotate the image and no have any artifacts or tearing and have it FEEL fast as in no mouse lag is a good thing. Vsync attempts to do this but does so by sacrificing too much IMHO.

Borderlands, I love that game and it is that much better at 120Hz.

That being said borderlands was pretty decent on a smaller 75hz lcd. Playing it on another WD 60hz Viewsonic looks great until you move around, then artifacts appear. Vsync will help that but then it does not FEEL the same when interacting. Hard to put my finger on but I can notice it when the video and mouse and lag are not in sync with what my eys/brain expect.

Really good first person players will love it. Others that are clueless might better spend their money on a standard LCD. The ViewSonic 2223WM is another LCD I own and can be found super cheap. It actually beats the Alienware for backlight bleed, is slightly better in colors and is better if you don't have a beast of a video card because the native rez is lower.

Bang for the buck its a nice LCD. But I happen to also have a I920 and 5870 so I think I'll keep my new Alienware.

If you are in the market for a killer gamers LCD and can find it for 399.00 like it is right now. I would say grab it you will like it.

I forgot to mention a few other pros.

- The stand is the best of all my LCDs. Jeweled action. Just have to grab the sides of the monitor (No touching the screen) and apply very little pressure to move it higher, lower, twist left or right and even tilt the bottom in or out. Its also heavy so it won't wobble like most other stands.
- USB ports. Not sure why I need them as my Aurora has front mounted USB on the case. They are hard to get to as they are under the monitor countersunk. It would be difficult to plug in a USB quickly without fiddling around. Maybe for a wireless mouse or something.

- Pass though audio cable in/out port. - again not sure why I need this as that jack is hard to see, something you would need to set up once, not as a headphone jack unless you leave in plugged in all the time.

- Countersunk Benzel - Some people have asked about this. Its not a big deal, about they only drawback is I could see it creating a shadow from a stray lamp. Or maybe viewing way off angle it could block maybe a 1/8 inch of screen. You would need to be way off center for that to even happen. This is a totally non issue to me.

- Glossy vs Matt. The screen is not glossy which I prefer. No reflections.

Its not perfect but its damn close and as close as I need for everything.

I would say they backlight bleed is something that I do not understand. Why cheaper LCDs have less of an issue.

Could someone address this. Either backlight bleed is the norm for 120hz or I got a lemon. From what I have read it seems its the norm.

Remember you can calibrate it almost to zero. So don't let this be a reason not to get it. I just wish it were like the viewsonic in which even in its crappy non calibrated state and brighter settings it does not have ANY bleed. How is this possible that a $130.00 LCD outperforms a 500.00 LCD?

Back