Samsung 2233rz review - the 120hz revolution begins

Sux that you americans get it so early, I sent an email to sales-fi @ viewsonic to see if I could get any estimates on availability & price in Finland and they said maybe end of Q2 and price unknown. ;(

I see Provantage has 72 in stock atm.

I guess that is why 120hz TVs look so smooth.

I would imagine that if the TV is generating frames like that, there is probably always a 1fps lag so that it will predict correctly all the time.

Most of the 120hz TVs with interpolation (not these new 3D monitor) have 3 frames of lag - 48ms (measured against the 60hz input) or more. You're right, the theoretical minimum would be 1 frame of lag (16ms), but none of them have such low lag.

Release day?!
normal 120Hz @ 1680x1050?!

if (1 = true) && (2 = true)
{System.out.print("I'm IN!");}

this will be awesome.. no more 60Hz for Games..

A 24" version will require a lot of graphics power, similar to a 30" running at 2560x1600 according to this

A 24" version will require a lot of graphics power, similar to a 30" running at 2560x1600 according to this
Where people get the idea that more herz=more gpu power because they've got nothing to do with each other. Of course more bandwidth is required in the cable and at some point it will become a problem. It is kind of sad that they never really thought about more than 60hz when designing those new standars. You don't need constant 120fps tp benefit from 120hz displays, but of course that'd be the ideal situation. But most fast online games are cpu limited anyway so that's not even a relevant question.

Where people get the idea that more herz=more gpu power because they've got nothing to do with each other. Of course more bandwidth is required in the cable and at some point it will become a problem. It is kind of sad that they never really thought about more than 60hz when designing those new standars. You don't need constant 120fps tp benefit from 120hz displays, but of course that'd be the ideal situation. But most fast online games are cpu limited anyway so that's not even a relevant question.

But I was under the impression if you cant maintain to stay close to 120fps that the 120hz would be a bit of a waste.

But I was under the impression if you cant maintain to stay close to 120fps that the 120hz would be a bit of a waste.

definitely not a waste, you don't have to use vsync anymore regardless of the framerate, plus a 120hz screen will allow you to see all the framerates between 60 and 120 and
even 80 or 90 fps is a whole lot better than 60.

this monitor and the viewsonic are the first legit crt replacements.

the issue of the bandwidth not being enough for large resolutions at 120hz is function of the video card's ramdac and the type of connection used, not the gpu or framerate.

It will be interesting to see how much they sell for in Australia or if they will even be sold here.

ever since I returned the viewsonic because of the broken brightness I have been itching to buy this samsung, the only thing holding me back was the announcement of the asus. Any news on the brightness situation or the asus? I'm really tempted to try the Samsung, do you have any complaints?

If I were going 120hz I'd go with the higher resolution ASUS and wait for the reviews to see how good it is. Monitors are investments. If that new 120hz ASUS is really good, I might just get 3 for Eyefinity! LOL. Can you imagine 3 screens in Eyefinity and 3d? That's like sensory overload!

shiznit, I just returned the viewsonic. I Just got the 2233rz and ahve used it all weekend. PHENOMINAL. the viewsonic sucked for the brightness issues/colors etc. that you mentioned. Thew viewsonic was instantly better, brightness fixed, great colors once u get them adjusted right with the osd, and MUCH better for regular use in browsing etc. Also, side by side, the samsung panel is just way more aestetic, pleasing. It just appears more elegant in its finish than the viewsonic, especially the way the blue light lights up at the bottom of the monitor.

I to wanted to wait for the asus, but I called them, and its run by a bunch of chinamen that are terrible with customer service and cant' give us any idea of its release even though its now q3 2009 like suppposed release date? comon. In the end, I play with default fov, so 24 inch asus would probably feel too close to my face, hence I decided the 22 inch samsung was fine. Im very happy with it and NO I don't notice any different in response time or input lag compared to that of the viewsonic so you dont have to worry about that. Keep me posted on the asus situation if it comes up. Let me know what you do, and what you think.
I hope this helped. Good luck

Thanks a lot, I think I will go with the samsung there is a good deal on it at Dell.com.

Ok, it is done. $299 at Dell.com with 10% cashback, 15% off coupon, and free shipping. Tax was $15 so it came out to $272, not too bad.

Wow, you should have bought 2 LOL. Fantastic deal and so worth it I can assure you. Be sure to come back here and let me know what you think once you've played with it!

well, dell screwed me. When I ordered it said in stock and delivery on Oct. 8, this morning I get an email saying order delayed, estimated shipping Oct 22. I called customer service and they were the worst CSRs I have ever dealt with and refused to explain what happened to my order or when exactly I would get the monitor if I didn't cancel, kept handing me off to different departments who all denied responsibility so I cancelled. Never every buying anything from Dell again. I didn't believe their new estimated shipping date because Newegg's ETA says December and how can I trust Dell after what just happened. Can't find it in stock anywhere else for $300ish and I'm not sure what to do.

wow, that is absolutely terrible. I'm really sorry about your luck shiz, keep me posted once you get it though, its definitely worth the search if you can get it around 300 bucks.

I looked up gulf data electronics and people say it's a scam site. I'll keep trying, wish I would have kept the fw900 a little longer.

If I were going 120hz I'd go with the higher resolution ASUS and wait for the reviews to see how good it is. Monitors are investments. If that new 120hz ASUS is really good, I might just get 3 for Eyefinity! LOL. Can you imagine 3 screens in Eyefinity and 3d? That's like sensory overload!

Um... eyefinity and 3D? How do you plan to do that? Also you do realize that it would require the video card to process 5760*1080 @ 120hz. That's a lot of processing.

I looked up gulf data electronics and people say it's a scam site. I'll keep trying, wish I would have kept the fw900 a little longer.

Sorry to hear. This is the first time Google has failed me like this. If you had luck with it I was going to consider getting one myself.

I'm considering selling my Samsung 2233rz if anyone is interested ( Original box , cables and its in mint condition) I'm hearing offers PM me ( just got a Asus VH266H and I dont really want the Samsung anymore).

Edit : Apologize to mods ahead of time incase I wasn't suppose to post something like this outside the sale/trade forum.

Last edited:
My VX2265wm functions perfectly well in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with the Catalyst 9.9s at 120Hz.
You aren't experiencing any of the picture problems? This is the only thing holding me back from getting a 5850.

Btw, did Viewsonic ever do anything about the brightness issue?

I'm considering selling my Samsung 2233rz if anyone is interested ( Original box , cables and its in mint condition) I'm hearing offers PM me ( just got a Asus VH266H and I dont really want the Samsung anymore).
How would you compare the two? Is the Asus much worse at gaming?

Well the Samsung is better overall for gaming , in 120hz mode its smooth and input lag is extremely low , however its smaller and not 1920x1080 which isn't a big deal to most people but it I prefer a higher resolution. The Samsung is a quality monitor overall and has good color reproduction for a TN panel (no major banding or color shifting) and the backlight is even and good. However the downside to the Samsung is only 1 display option dual-link DVI and no other inputs so its very limited in that department.

The Asus is wonderful monitor , decent color reproduction , no major banding , some of the lowest input lag for a LCD monitor on the market . It does have some color shifting and gamma shift but nothing major and I've seen far worse on a TN panel , its big and bright plus with overdrive its wonderful for playing games and watching movies. It doesn't have a super shaky stand but its not adjustable it does however come VESA ready for a good mount so thats an easy fix. It has tons of inputs (DVI,VGA,HDMi,Component,Microphone,Coxial Digital output,Speaker output) and a wonderful 1:1 pixel mapper.

Overall I would recommend the Asus to anyone in the market for a great monitor for gaming , general usage and movies.

Can some1 post a picture preferable in a dark room with a black background (for example screensaver "blank" is good) of the 2233rz. I'd like to see how bad the backlight bleeding are on these. I've bought a ViewSonic VX2268wm that I really really like except for one thing the slight backlight bleeding at bottom which especially in the evening a slight bluish half-circle tint reaches up to 6~7 cm from the edge of the bottom side on a black background which is a bit more than I'm comfortable with. At the other sides it's quite good tho, only some very minor backlight bleed visible in a dark room, and there it becomes grey rather than blue and it's the blue color at the bottom that bugs me which I think is the fact due to the bright blue power led.

I might concider giving 2233rz a try and see which of these I like better. What I like about ViewSonic VX2268wm is that I can't notice ANY input lag switching from my 19" trinitron CRT and I'm quite satisfied with colors otherwise if it wasn't for the backlight bleed.

Also mention your brightness setting thanks, I've got my ViewSonic set to "24" which is about the lowest I'd wanna go without sacrifising color quality etc.

Last edited:
Any1 please? Would be highly appriciated, don't feel like ordering one just to find out myself. Just comment on the backlight bleed if you can't take a picture of it thanks.

Last edited:
Back