My neighbors ordered a rig from Newegg in the Black Friday scramble. THEN they ask me what I think.
Well, here I come to [H] to find out what I think,
, and now I think they goofed. Since I don't hobby, only spot research when upgrading, I've not heard of Sandy Bridge til now but and I would have waited. Makes me look at my own rig with visions of upgrades to come.
I'll show what parts can be returned and what can't, and can you tell me how dead end this rig is and what parts should be swapped out that can be? He got some MIR's that I don't know the details of, and I'd imagine the prices have since changed, so let's focus on compatability and upgrade paths more than price.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Database theorycrafting, WoW multiboxing x 5 accounts (we do our own 10 mans together
) , standard home pc otherwise
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Purchase total $1750, incl tax/ship
3) Where do you live?
Cali
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Parts to keep:
Case: Antec 300 case
CPU: i7 950
SSD: 120GB PCIe SSD card
Video: EVGA GTX 470
KVM switch
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing: Various HDD's for bulk storage/backups. Possibly reusing vid card as a slave gpu.
Parts eligible for return:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
MB: GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory: GSKILL DDR3 2000 3x4GB (?! The MB likes 1033 and 2200. Should he try OC'ing to keep this or...?
Cooling: Cooler Master
Standard DVD burner
6) Will you be overclocking?
That depends: The current memory choice seems to me out-of-bounds for the MB, so he'd have to OC to utilize the mem, correct? Otherwise, if the memory is replaced, then no need to OC.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Two HannsG 28" monitors at 1900x1200. I do this as well, 1 WoW on main monitor, on core 1, 4 WoW's on 2nd monitor on the remaining core(s). (I only have a core 2)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Shipping as we speak; may need to tweak what can be tweaked.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
We're discussing the pros/cons of using his old vid card as a slave gpu, not SLI/Crossfired. Since the SSD card is only x4, I'm predicting it will bring his slave video card down to x4 as well, but it's better than throwing it away. WoW doesn't SLI well anyway.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win7 64, gtg.
Well, here I come to [H] to find out what I think,
I'll show what parts can be returned and what can't, and can you tell me how dead end this rig is and what parts should be swapped out that can be? He got some MIR's that I don't know the details of, and I'd imagine the prices have since changed, so let's focus on compatability and upgrade paths more than price.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Database theorycrafting, WoW multiboxing x 5 accounts (we do our own 10 mans together
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Purchase total $1750, incl tax/ship
3) Where do you live?
Cali
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Parts to keep:
Case: Antec 300 case
CPU: i7 950
SSD: 120GB PCIe SSD card
Video: EVGA GTX 470
KVM switch
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing: Various HDD's for bulk storage/backups. Possibly reusing vid card as a slave gpu.
Parts eligible for return:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
MB: GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory: GSKILL DDR3 2000 3x4GB (?! The MB likes 1033 and 2200. Should he try OC'ing to keep this or...?
Cooling: Cooler Master
Standard DVD burner
6) Will you be overclocking?
That depends: The current memory choice seems to me out-of-bounds for the MB, so he'd have to OC to utilize the mem, correct? Otherwise, if the memory is replaced, then no need to OC.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Two HannsG 28" monitors at 1900x1200. I do this as well, 1 WoW on main monitor, on core 1, 4 WoW's on 2nd monitor on the remaining core(s). (I only have a core 2)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Shipping as we speak; may need to tweak what can be tweaked.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
We're discussing the pros/cons of using his old vid card as a slave gpu, not SLI/Crossfired. Since the SSD card is only x4, I'm predicting it will bring his slave video card down to x4 as well, but it's better than throwing it away. WoW doesn't SLI well anyway.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win7 64, gtg.
Last edited: