Saitek Eclipse III - Opinions?

Source

Limp Gawd
Has anybody used the Saitek Eclipse III keyboard yet and if so what do you think to it?

I never liked the styling of the Eclipse I & II, however I did always like the keys when I tried them out. Im figuring the keys will feel similar and I do much prefer the way this keyboard looks compared to the prior two versions.

I'm currently using the Microsoft/Razer Reclusa and I'm tired of hearing the noisy keys (especially the space bar!)

Opinions?

Thanks!

Eclipse 3 ? not seen or heard anything about it. I do have a Saitek Cyborg.
I just went to their website, it looks pretty damn similar to my Cyborg.
I owned the original Eclipse, Eclipse 2 and now the Cyborg. Loved every one of em.
The 2 was better than the original and I love my Cyborg, however Saitek basically does not have shit up to program my 12 extra keys that the Cyborg has, MAJOR FAIL on them for that. Otherwise I love it.

Their support sucks major ass, but they make good keyboards.

Why do none of the main PC stores have it like Newegg, Mwave, etc.?

I have the Eclipse II and love it so much, I want to see how good the III is as well.
Word of warning, DO NOT buy from overclockers, they are fraudsters and will rip you off if they get half a chance.

The III looks like a better version of the Cyborg. Even though I'd love such a keyboard, I currently enjoy using the Razer Lycosa. I still have an Eclipse II laying around...

Looks nicer than the Cyborg, less "techy". Not as horrendously ugly as the 2 either. Once this Eclipse Red's keys start wearing off I'm on it.

Looks nicer than the Cyborg, less "techy". Not as horrendously ugly as the 2 either. Once this Eclipse Red's keys start wearing off I'm on it.
You're using an Eclipse I, and calling the Eclipse II ugly...

The Eclipse II is nearly identical the the Eclipse 1 apart from the body and key colors being reversed (black keys and silver body instead of vice versa), and the extra function keys added to the top right corner. Even has the the same "dogbone" shape as the Eclipse I. :p

It looks too big to me. I like both previous versions, but I dunno about this one.
Maybe it's just the pic and if I saw it in person I'd like it better.
2utteom.jpg

I disliked the Eclipse II. I love the Cyborg, and I imagine that the Eclipse III is very similar since the Cyborg says "Eclipse III" on the bottom. The only differences seem to be the multi-color key customizations, and the chrome keys.

You're using an Eclipse I, and calling the Eclipse II ugly...

I had an E1 (two of them, in fact) and I also think it was much better looking than the two-tone E2. I quite like this v3 though, even if it does look like a toy version of the Tarantula.

I have the E1, and the keys are too spongy for me. Plus the paint wore off the 's' key way too fast.

My Eclipse 1's red keys didn't wear off either. (usin for 3 years)
I don't like the Eclipse II only because of the color. Doesn't match with my set up. I don't like the macro keys on these keyboards because not all of us play MM0's seriously. It makes it seem to flashy for me.

I like the look of that E3. Better than the cyborg, which I wasn't that fond of.

I have the E1, and the keys are too spongy for me. Plus the paint wore off the 's' key way too fast.

It's wearing off on a few of my E2 keys, most notably the "E" key. Probably because I like my shooters esdf style.

Wow that sounds really bad. I don't know what your doing, but Eclipse 1 is my primary and i lug it home every other weekend in a small carrying case. I guess i just wash the acid off of my hands before I type.:)

Have not used it, but have been leaning towards picking one up. It does have a pretty sleek look to it this time around.

Saitek will send you any keys that are worn off. I have a Eclipse 1 and have replaced numerous keys.

Just e-mail them with the keys needed along with your name and address. The keys just pop out using a pen.

I had the same problem, got replacement keys once. Tried again a year or so later and they said no :(. Ended up finding a E1 Red at a pawn shop for 8 bucks. Problem solved until these keys wear off, but they do seem to be different than my blue E1. Hopefully these last longer, been about a month and no wear so far.

Eclipse 3 ? not seen or heard anything about it. I do have a Saitek Cyborg.
I just went to their website, it looks pretty damn similar to my Cyborg.
I owned the original Eclipse, Eclipse 2 and now the Cyborg. Loved every one of em.
The 2 was better than the original and I love my Cyborg, however Saitek basically does not have shit up to program my 12 extra keys that the Cyborg has, MAJOR FAIL on them for that. Otherwise I love it.

Their support sucks major ass, but they make good keyboards.

Never even knew Saitek made a keyboard :eek::rolleyes:.....checked it out at the Egg after reading your post.....WAYYYY cool lookin keyboard.....Ive got to get one!!!!!! Thanks

This is pasted from another thread:

I had the cyborg, keys just started crapping out on me. I had it less than a year. the macro software was pretty crappy to boot. I had a real hard time getting the macros to work properly. The eclipse III looks like a cyborg with a new casing.

I picked up the Microsoft sidewinder keyboard, much better overall. Keys have a nice touch, they're not mushy like the Cyborg's. It doesn't even require messing with the software for the macros, it has a record button on the keyboard. Also, the entire numpad can be moved to the left of the keyboard and every numpad key can be used as a macro key. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the feet to elevate it due to the numpad being removable. I also haven't found a way to make the macro keys repeatable like normal keys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823109063

I owned an E1 and use an E2 now, the keys are starting to wear down unfortunately, i have chips taken off my W key, A key, D key and most of the middle of my S key has been worn away.

I think my next keyboard will be a flat laptop type keyboard since the keys need depressing a little less, I seem to be able to type faster on them, I just need to find a decent build one, prefeably something like brushed alu with blue backlight

I think my next keyboard will be a flat laptop type keyboard since the keys need depressing a little less, I seem to be able to type faster on them, I just need to find a decent build one, prefeably something like brushed alu with blue backlight

My next keyboard will likely be the logitech illuminated keyboard. It's flat like a laptop and has backlight, but now blue. I'm just waiting on the price to come down a bit.

2gtovx4.jpg

Does Eclipse 3 keyboard have n-key rollover? Do any of the Eclipses for that matter?

Had an Eclipse II and love it until it started to go in the fritz. Anyways, I can't wait until the E3 comes out. This keyboard looks awesome. Hope the price isn't too high though. I can't wait to replace this cheap dell keyboard :).

I was messing around with the MS Sidewinder X6 at Best Buy the other day, and I really like the feel of the keys on that one. Felt much crisper than the Saitek, G15, and Razer that were there.

Not sure about how it looks though...

Wow the backlighting on the Sidewinder and Logitech are so much better than Saitek's.

But functionality is most important so if it's not registering 260apm keystrokes or can only register 3-4 keys pressed at a time... that's a dealbreaker.

Eclipse III is at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PK24U-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229206873&sr=1-1

One review in and it's a negative one. Someone else in the comments of that one agrees.

I think the Microsoft Sidewinder might be worth checking out.

$55 right now at Amazon with instant rebate: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-AGB...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229206778&sr=8-2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got the Eclipse 3 for Christmas. In fact, i'm using it right now. It's a pretty good keyboard. The hotkey buttons on the top that are touch work perfectly fine; they take only one press, not multiple. The hotkeys on the sides are useful. The are stock used to launch programs such as your internet browser, your e-mail app, my computer, etc. The keyboard doesn't require any installation of drivers to work. Just plug and play. This is exactly what I was looking for, so I haven't installed Saitek's drivers. I would recommend this keyboard highly.

Back