Safest gpu for the Akitio Node?

AC came up and was running at 1440. Wow that looked good!
Set it back to 1080 and AC evidently needs to restart. It worked for a minute and ended again. But running at 50-77fps which I never got before, more like 22-30 max.
I’ll try disabling the 960m as suggested next.

I need to mention First go round I had the HDMI plugged directly from the Akitio to the monitor.
Now I have it PC to monitor...

tried FC New Dawn, played well but it's crashing too...hmmm...
All still good in DMgr.

Last edited:
ill swap it back and see what happens next....
AC seems pretty finicky but it was before, but more now.

Have you set High-Powered GPU in Nvidia settings?

09004_Fig17_NVIDIAGlobalSettings?width=737&height=542.jpg

That is the setting.

For the drop down it should be "High-performance Nvidia processor".

This is used mostly for laptops with Intel + Nvidia chips. I actually don't know what it looks like with 3 video cards, but it's worth a shot.

Windows may have automatically installed the drivers for the 960M at some point and it's causing a conflict. Did you check the option in DDU to disable automatic installation of drivers in Windows?

Windows may have automatically installed the drivers for the 960M at some point and it's causing a conflict. Did you check the option in DDU to disable automatic installation of drivers in Windows?
Both times I ran the DDU the PC was disconnected from the web.
I did re-install the 1660 driver again from my desktop.
But I will check it out again this afternoon. Maybe run the DDU one more time along with the driver.

Seems to be working fine. I tried nvidia optimized settings thru GeForce Experience and it did not like that.
So I did some suggested settings in the GeForce controller and it’s not crashing ACO.

So, I think to make this easier for the wife, I'm wondering if this would work.
Since she won't need nor will want to, switch on the Akitio, what if I ran an HDMI splitter (or switch')?
The laptop has one HDMI and the Monitor has one HDMI.
I have the HDMI now from the Akitio to the monitor. I tried the duplicating screen option in Display options but the game loss is about 20FPS that way.
Think there would be any downside to using a splitter?
712mzuA4XBL._SL1200_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Found out the gtx1660ti has Display port and my Acer 272HUL monitor has one also.
I'll run the HDMI laptop to monitor and Display port from Akito/1660ti to monitor.
Sound good?

That might work, but I wonder if the software will get confused like that (which one is the primary monitor, which GPU to use, etc.).

Yeah, I wonder too. Guess I won't know til I get the canble and try.
I'm trying to make this easier for the wife who wants to use the laptop for bill paying etc. and wants the big monitor without fiddling with a switch on the Akitio.
I'd like her to be able to just boot up the laptop and have the monitor come on and leave the egpu alone.
I might have to go into the Windows Display menu or Nvidia panel and delegate the Intel gpu to the external display when I'm not using the eGPU.

Well new problem but hopefully temporary.
Again AOC crashed and lost the 1660ti in the device manager.
Restarted and wouldn’t cime back but was in ‘hidden’.

Re did the DDU and re installed the Nvidia driver.
Device manager then showed Microsoft Adapter in its place. Checked it’s driver and that downloaded...
Reboot and now the 1660ti is back online.
I’ll keep ya posted...

Have you updated the firmware on the Akitio Node yet?

I actually just bought one, cause this thread got me interested, and the firmware update seemed to fix a sleep issue I was having.

I also lost the Akitio connection but it is back now.
At the moment it’s working fine.
Hope I don’t have to do this over and over. I do get a window that comes up telling me the Thunderbolt firmware may need updating...
But I’ll know if it comes up again when I reboot.
The link to the updates does not show my computer so I used the MCI link.

Last edited:
Had time to look before work. Everyting booted up as it should.
See, I don't get this window in Thunderbolt Settings, so I don't know what version I have or need:

'Right-click on the Thunderbolt icon in your taskbar. When a Thunderbolt device is connected, this icon will appear automatically. If not, select the Start button and sroll through the program list to locate and open the Thunderbolt™ Software first. In the context menu, select Settings and then go to Details... to check the current version of your software (driver).'
thunderbolt-software-version.jpg

What I DO get is this:
t32.jpg

and this:
t3-3-L.jpg

But maybe I’m not looking in the right place.
I’m looking under the Thunderbolt on my task bar.
BTW, I got the window telling me I might need an update again...

Last edited:
You have to right click the Thunderbolt icon and choose About. I guess they changed the menu.

UPdated the firware, rebooted, everything working but for some reason I still get this wondow. Makes me think T3 never did another updated...
AKiTiO T3 Node Update Tool_v1.0.0.5_B1-25+4.33

t3specs2.jpg

I believe that message refers to the Thunderbolt firmware version on your laptop.

That would have to come from Acer, it may be that they never released a new one.

In my earlier research I think I got that installed. There’s a lot of threads with people looking for answers from Acer about updating it.
I don’t think they have anything newer.
It’s working well enough so far.
Swapped the HDMI cable for a Display Port cable with no appreciable difference.
Assassinns Creed Origins FPS from apps 40 to 80 on high settings at 1440p. Seems like it could be smoother though. Have Nvidia panel set to Performance.
Display settings at 1440p.
Learning curve....

If I set the display settings to 1080p will the ingame settings change?
Might be answering my own question.
When the display is set to native 1440p the game is preset to 1440p.
If I change the settings to 1080p in the game it changes to a smaller or boxed format instead of full screen.

Desktop resolution and game fullscreen resolution don't have to be the same.

You just have to select the correct scaling mode in Nvidia settings.

Right-click the desktop, click Nvidia control panel. Click on Adjust desktop size and position on the left.

Then choose Aspect ratio for the scaling mode. I usually perform scaling on display, but if you have problems you can set this to gpu.

upload_2019-3-29_9-29-27.png

Oh boy.
New issue.
I don’t know if it’s Nvidia drivers or what but all my games are crashing as soon as I they open and I go into the world.
Thought it was Ubisoft only but it looks like others too.

Borderlands works. Must be something to do with high graphics needs on those others.

If everything is working, the games should not crash regardless of graphics settings (they might run too slow, but should work).

You can try setting a frame cap in RivaTuner. If your monitor is 60Hz, then a 62fps frame cap could help. Also enable V-Sync.

Last edited:
I will do that.
However I now have the Blue Screen of Death and no way to recover it as I don’t have a Windows recovery disc.
None of the online suggestions seem to work so it is now FUBAR.
Whoa is me...

Back up. Had an SSD glitch. Thought I was going to need a new one put unplugging and reinstalling my W10 brought it back. Lost alll my apps and files but had a back up.
Back to trying to get the T3 to work again.
What a hectic weekend!

Back