Safest/best way to move data to new HDDs?

johnnyscience

Limp Gawd
So I bought 2 new media HDDs and want to make sure I'm transferring clean data to them, as these will become my new permanent HDDs.

They are both 10TB WD Black, one will be my main media HDD and the other will be a constant backup of that drive using Acronis

So what is the best way for me to transfer 4TB of data without having corruption copied over to my new HDD?

Should I run a disk defrag first? Honestly I used to do those years ago, but haven't in a long time.

I want to get a rock solid data retention system in place, which I would think would include regular disk defrags and repairs?

What else should I be doing to safeguard the life of my HDD and the data on it?

Should I just use Acronis to copy all of the data over to the new HDDs?

Do you have some way to confirm the data you have is the data you stored?

If so, great, copy and then confirm the copied data is good.

If not, well, you may already be screwed and won't know it. If there's doubt about the status of the hard drives, I would try to collect an image with ddrescue first. Then do read only recovery from the image.

If you think everything is good, maybe generate some par2 parity archives for all the files first, then copy, then verify the par2s on the new disks. Schedule something to regularly check the par2s at least a few times a year.

You say this is media, you can probably do a first pass check for corruption by just trying to decode everything. If ffmpeg likes your movie, chances are it's not corrupt.

Back