'Safe' motherboard temps for P35 chipset

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
My computer is not in an air-conditioned environment and lately the temperature in the room has been getting close to 32c. My motherboard temp registered 57c. I have active cooling for my memory, HDDs, video cardand CPU as well as ample case fans.
I would just like to know what is still considered 'safe' temperatures for the P35 chipset? Is this temperature registering the NB temp or what?

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

I would just like to know what is still considered 'safe' temperatures for the P35 chipset?
There is no way to measure it. The P35MCH has an internal Digital Temp Sensor system like the cpus but does not communicate with the outside world what the values are. If it gets too hot it just shuts down to save itself. This internal shut down temp is most likely over 90C so the chip can (and does if overclocked) run very hot. With good case airflow and if the FSB is less than 400MHz there should not be any issues. If concerned put a fan on the MCH/Northbridge heatsink.

Is this temperature registering the NB temp or what?
I have forgotten, on the P965 DQ6 it is a thermistor near the end of the PCI-e video card slot and is just a general measure of system temp. Basically worthless like the bios reporting the CPU temp with a thermistor in the well of the cpu socket.

Use coretemp to read cpu temps. Use a finger on the MCH heatsink. If you cannot hold your finger on the heatsink for a slow count of 5 put a fan on it anyway you can attach one.

If you are not suffering random crashes etc. you are most likely fine. I place little value on bios temps. You could ask Gigabyte tech support exactly where and what that value is coming from.

Back