Safe i5 Voltages?

kyvhy66

Limp Gawd
Mines OCed at 4 GHz with a Vcore of 1.2v. I have a Corsair H50 cooling it. It used to BSOD once in a blue moon, but since I replaced the old psu in it with an hx750 it hasn't done it yet. What do you guys think?

1.2V is totally safe. 1.35V is about as high as I would go.

4.0GHz is not guaranteed.

Lower voltage will not damage the CPU. It will only negatively affect stability by bringing the chip closer to the point that it becomes unstable.

Thanks, that was really why i didn't mess with it much, I didn't think it was good for the CPU.

I guess I'll leave it where it's at, as I currently idle at 30 C anyways.

I have a 660 @ 4.15ghz 1.35v don't think it needs that much but just started oc'ing it. On a Corsair H70 temps are 28 idle 52 load, this weekend i'll be tweaking more and let you go, i wouldn't go above 1.4 without sub zero cooling.

No i've oc'd before but its been a few years. This is my first intel system i've built with oc'ing in mind, still reading up on the particulars on how to get the best oc.

I have a 660 @ 4.15ghz 1.35v don't think it needs that much but just started oc'ing it. On a Corsair H70 temps are 28 idle 52 load, this weekend i'll be tweaking more and let you go, i wouldn't go above 1.4 without sub zero cooling.

Why does it sound like you plan to raise your voltages? Maybe I misunderstood.

Last edited:
Why does it sound like you plan to raise your voltages? Maybe I misunderstood.

Think he's saying that he doesn't think it needs 1.35v, as he just started OCing it. My understanding is he put it way high in order to get a high overclock and plans to step the voltage down soon. I think.

Think he's saying that he doesn't think it needs 1.35v, as he just started OCing it. My understanding is he put it way high in order to get a high overclock and plans to step the voltage down soon. I think.

OK let's hope so. That might be the reason he's not online right now tho lol.

OK let's hope so. That might be the reason he's not online right now tho lol.

Yeah. If he was putting it up more, hopefully it wasn't much past 1.375v, the recommended safe maximum voltage. 1.35 is working just fine for me, though, 24/7.

I was in somewhat of a hurry when I was setting up the system and didn't have much time, from brief reading up it seems 1.4v was the safe upper limit for the 32nm chips, I put it to 1.35 and went to 4.15ghz, like i said this weekend i'm going to try for around 4.5ghz or so, basically as high as 1.35v will get me is where I will end up.

QPI is the link from the CPU and the Northbridge Chipset X58. I would just leave that to default unless you think it is causing any instability.

I thought P55 calls this DMI or something like that.

CPU-Z says QPI link... I think BIOS does too. I'll check my BIOS later to see, but CPU-Z says ist's at 3208 MHz. I think it pretty much automatically sets it when you mess with the bus speed or clock mult.

I think mine is 1.3Vcore and 1.35Vtt @3.6Ghz right now. Been that way for months. It will do 4GHz @ 1.4Vcore and 1.4Vtt. That's a little more voltage than I would like to throw at it.

Baller you can do better with the voltages @ 4 GHz. Your motherboard may be a limiting factor, but I am so far completely stable with 1.2Vcore @ 4 GHz on my P55-GD85.

Yeah. If he was putting it up more, hopefully it wasn't much past 1.375v, the recommended safe maximum voltage. 1.35 is working just fine for me, though, 24/7.

Finally someone with a similar setup. I've got an i5 760 with a p55a-ud3. Running 1.35 BIOS voltage for 20x200. Also 1600MHz memory (XMS3 7-8-7-20) with a GTX460.

I was at 1.265 BIOS vCORE (1.20 cpuZ), 1.10 VTT and 1.644 vDIMM for 3800 MHz stable. Now running 20x200 = 4000MHz; 1.35 BIOS (around 1.29/1.25 cpuZ idle and load), 1.10 VTT, 1.64 vDIMM for stability. (played all the way through FalloutNV and Wii Goldeneye (Dolphin)). I am weirded out about my super low VTT values. Is it similar for you? Load CPU temps are about 77-73-73-73. (Pime95, pretty good cooling.)

Maybe I will... hope you don't mind... I'll PM you later to exchange experiences..

Last edited:
Finally someone with a similar setup. I've got an i5 760 with a p55a-ud3. Running 1.35 BIOS voltage for 20x200. Also 1600MHz memory (XMS3 7-8-7-20) with a GTX460.

I was at 1.265 BIOS vCORE (1.20 cpuZ), 1.10 VTT and 1.644 vDIMM for 3800 MHz stable. Now running 20x200 = 4000MHz; 1.35 BIOS (around 1.29/1.25 cpuZ idle and load), 1.10 VTT, 1.64 vDIMM for stability. (played all the way through FalloutNV and Wii Goldeneye (Dolphin)). I am weirded out about my super low VTT values. Is it similar for you? Load CPU temps are about 77-73-73-73. (Pime95, pretty good cooling.)

Maybe I will... hope you don't mind... I'll PM you later to exchange experiences..

Yes, my VTT is also low, but I think that's why my vcore has to be high to achieve stability. My settings are as follows:

>>Advanced Voltage Settings
Load Line Calibration: Disabled
CPU Vcore: 1.35000V
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.150V
PCH Core: 1.050V
CPU PLL: 1.800V
DRAM Voltage: 1.560V
DRAM Termination: 0.750V
CH-A Data VREF: 0.750V
CH-B Data VREF: 0.750V
CH-A Address VREF: 0.750V
CH-B Address VREF: 0.750V

Baller you can do better with the voltages @ 4 GHz. Your motherboard may be a limiting factor, but I am so far completely stable with 1.2Vcore @ 4 GHz on my P55-GD85.

Nah.. Trust me I've tried. It would probably be stable enough with lower voltages if I was just playing games. Try to run linX 20 times and see if your setup is really stable. My guess is you find that you need a bunch more voltage to be stable running Linpac. P95 is not really the best stability tester.

You guys do realize that every single core is different so one may need 1.2V while a second of the same stepping and version needs 1.35V?

maybe i should do i 24hr p95 run just to see if the voltages really are solid

P55-UD3R- Bios version F4. Not the A. I got it just before the A version came out. I have two of the exact same setups since I ordered two of everything. Both CPU's require roughly the same settings on voltage.I think the roommates requires slightly less voltage.

I read a Corsair Tech Document that said if your running their 1600XMS in dual channel then you are likely to require up to 1.35Vtt. If it's triple, they say 1.40 at least. This has been my experience as well. I'm pretty sure the memory has something to do with it. It needs the max voltage my board can provide and the max that is really safe for this CPU.

I could try new memory but this works fine. Besides, I have never had Corsair memory fail on me...Knock on Wood...:p

If they start making BD drives, Motherboards, and platter drives, then I probably wouldn't buy anything else. Gigabyte really stepped it up from the early 2000's though. I like the Ultra Durable series a lot. MMM solid capacitors. Excellent. I'm actually thinking about ordering some the solids for my old 939board to replace the electrolytics. DigiKey sent me another stupid passport thing. I wish they would send me a huge paper catalog. I guess the website is easy enough to access but, I would like a desk reference.

Don't have any expierence with that but I just got my GTX 470 and I've been playing JC 2 and Crysis, and it's rock solid stable for gaming at 1.2V.

Baller know anything of the H70? Might look to upgrade in the future to OC my i5 more

I"ve got my 660 on an H70, took the stock fans out as they are crazy loud (push good air though) I replaced them with Scythe fans (not sure of the model number) but they are virtually silent.

4.6ghz with 1.35v my idle temps are 28-30 and load is 58-60

If you are going from air to the H70 its a decent jump imo. The pump is very quiet, install isn't too bad just need to take your motherboard out.

Yeah, I was just wondering if it was worth the upgrade from an H50 in the future.

Back