Sad Days for PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but thats just me. I play a game for EyeCandy. If I know the game is fun but looks like crap the first thing I do is hunt down a Mod to boost the Graphics. I did this the same day I got Grand theft auto, the Stalker series & yes even crysis. before I even played the games I got texture mods.

Sorry but thats how I am.

The original Crysis was NOT a console port at all and it was the reason for my last build. That game was and still is the definition of "eyecandy" in my humble opinion. I still play Crysis and will play the new console port version that is about to come out if only for the single player.

Anyone wants to play some TRUE PC games, some new, some older, I have them all and 'm in just XFire me...(Steam Friends are full)

don't apologize. i personally like to balance them out by playing shitty games with pretty graphics and great games with shitty graphics :)

Nice 1 Bobo! Made me laugh. I know what you mean too a feel the same...:)

That's actually the exact reason why it's your loss. This mentality is basically what drives most console games and game development. "Make it pretty!" Well so much goes into making a stupid sweat bead and a texture no one is going to notice because your running so fast anyway they typically forget the actual game.

Minecraft is exactly what the OP should be thinking about. You want a deep game with lots of imagination in it that isn't on a console: TADA! It's that type of imagination that was what made PC gaming so great. Not the graphics.

And yes before someone goes into the "I want my cake and eat it too" that's fine. But fundamentally when you play games, you're supposed to find something fun first and foremost. Who gives a shit about a polished turd?

Fun is extremely subjective. While you might think one game is horrible, millions of people might disagree. It's unfair to label the opposing side as ignorant based on taste and not facts.

As far as graphics go, I'd modify your statement about mentality. I agree that it drives game development, but this is on both the PC and console. People like pretty graphics, it's that simple. Now, good graphics doesn't necessarily equate to 8 trillion polygons per second with 9 levels of pixel and vertex shading. Quality art direction can offset that, making a game look better than another game which technically is more powerful.

Stop looking at old games with rosey glasses. Most don't hold up anymore. You can't bitch about today's games and then accept how god awful graphics of the past are. (Although personally I can still look past it because once again...Imagination is what was so special of these games) I can still play a 320x240 game of Bioforge.

I think this comes down to the nostalgia factor. People tend to like games which they were brought up with. They'll replay them long into the future, because like you stated, they're looking at them with rosey glasses. While you might still play Bioforge today, I could have liked it yesterday because it was new, but not like it today, because it didn't fall into the nostalgia category for myself.

PC gaming is much better overall than any console can offer even on a console ported game, but the experience today is not as good as it once was and that is my point. The games look better that is true, some have new weapon's and vehicles, even destructible buildings, but they are not the same or better than PC games were .

Point 1- I hate consoles and game controllers. But dammit they are relatively cheap compared to a PC, they play all the newest games released and play them well from what I can see, and most people just can't afford to lay down up to 5 g's for a good PC.

Opinion does not equal fact. I hate first person shooters and mouse/keyboard controls! Therefore, it's irrefutable that all PC games are horrible! Explain and elaborate upon your premise. I've played every game you mentioned as being special when they were first released. I'm not seeing how they're better than any console first person shooter today.

Also, there have been posts with facts that have already proven you don't need to spend $5000 on a computer for a decent gaming PC.

Point 2-It seems to me that Kids today are clueless for the most part, they have no common sense and all seem to want instant gratification.

I don't see how this is any different than adults. I was at the gas station on Tuesday, and I must have seen 20 people standing in line trying to purchase Mega Millions tickets. You have better odds at being struck by lightning this year than winning the jackpot. Why do adults play? Because they are clueless for the most part, have no common sense, and all want instant gratification.

I hate to break it to you, but the median age for gamers places them in the late 30's, which I would consider to be adult. Many of these gamers are also console gamers.

The original Crysis was NOT a console port at all and it was the reason for my last build. That game was and still is the definition of "eyecandy" in my humble opinion. I still play Crysis and will play the new console port version that is about to come out if only for the single player.

Anyone wants to play some TRUE PC games, some new, some older, I have them all and 'm in just XFire me...(Steam Friends are full)

I know that Crysis is not a Console port but once youve seen the sexy EyeCandy a few times its time for Texture mods to make it even better :)

Man I love Mods & PC :)

This is like saying everyone SHOULD like chocolate ice cream.

Everyone SHOULD like chocolate ice cream. But, some people are just queer.

I've sometimes found that games I assumed I wouldn't like are fun. But, any top-rated game is going to be fun to anyone willing to give it a chance... if the controls don't suck... another reason why consoles suck. Resolution is mostly eye candy, but a beautifully game is also more fun... another reason why consoles suck (they have lower resolution). Besides, who wants to waste a few hundred dollars on a console system when a $50 graphics card for the PC leaves the consoles in the dust?

Fun is extremely subjective. While you might think one game is horrible, millions of people might disagree. It's unfair to label the opposing side as ignorant based on taste and not facts.

As far as graphics go, I'd modify your statement about mentality. I agree that it drives game development, but this is on both the PC and console. People like pretty graphics, it's that simple. Now, good graphics doesn't necessarily equate to 8 trillion polygons per second with 9 levels of pixel and vertex shading. Quality art direction can offset that, making a game look better than another game which technically is more powerful.

I think this comes down to the nostalgia factor. People tend to like games which they were brought up with. They'll replay them long into the future, because like you stated, they're looking at them with rosey glasses. While you might still play Bioforge today, I could have liked it yesterday because it was new, but not like it today, because it didn't fall into the nostalgia category for myself.

Opinion does not equal fact. I hate first person shooters and mouse/keyboard controls! Therefore, it's irrefutable that all PC games are horrible! Explain and elaborate upon your premise. I've played every game you mentioned as being special when they were first released. I'm not seeing how they're better than any console first person shooter today.

Also, there have been posts with facts that have already proven you don't need to spend $5000 on a computer for a decent gaming PC.

I don't see how this is any different than adults. I was at the gas station on Tuesday, and I must have seen 20 people standing in line trying to purchase Mega Millions tickets. You have better odds at being struck by lightning this year than winning the jackpot. Why do adults play? Because they are clueless for the most part, have no common sense, and all want instant gratification.

I hate to break it to you, but the median age for gamers places them in the late 30's, which I would consider to be adult. Many of these gamers are also console gamers.

I hear ya. it's all opinion and this whole post was based on my opinions and experiences. I agree with what you say about adults and can elaborate on my feelings but it would piss people off. My opinions again...:)
The topic was on kids so i just went there. I am 46 years old and only play PC. My brother and I had every console game there ever was from the early 70's till present. I hated them then I hate them now. He still plays them LOL.
I can afford to be clueless about gaming, but i can't in my professional life. LOL

Everyone SHOULD like chocolate ice cream. But, some people are just queer.

I actually like chocolate ice cream, probably should have used butterscotch as my example.;)

And yeah I hear a lot of bashing of games that I like. Blood Stone, just started that and so far it's better than the reviews lead me to believe.

I think its a little higher for PC gamers. You know the men, boys price of toys saying.

Know what's way awesomer than being limited by hardware?

Not being limited by PROFIT harharhahrahrah~!!!!!!~~!!

Part of the problem here is not liking rpg/rts games. As a pretty much exclusive PC gamer, I cannot ignore those genres. In fact, if it weren't for rpg's, both new and old, I'd possibly go console...

Well, not likely.

PC gaming has gone downhill because of the lack of good content overall and their pricing of games nearly the same as consoles at release. Long gone are the days of Descent and Quake and Unreal/Unreal Tournament.....

Not really. I assume you're talking about your response to someone else, but that isn't in any way an elaboration on what you said its a comparison is old PC games. In no way does it elaborate on how BC2 feels "like ever other console port". THAT is what I'm asking you to elaborate on. That is also what I disagree with. BC2 doesn't feel like COD, or Wolfenstien, or Singularity, or a dozen other ported shooters I could mention off the top of my head so I'm wondering what you meant by that statement.

if a bunch of old school pc gamers got together and started making some really nice games/mods I doubt anyone would even notice anymore... Most of the pc gamers from the 90's and early 2000's no longer play. It's a different generation now. There is still plenty of PC gaming going on, people just prefer to play crap now.

I agree, things have slowed a bit for pc games, but we are nearing the end of the current console cycle. That means more pc games for us. It happened at the end of the last gen of consoles, this one will be no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back