Sacrifice..

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
It was the first game to kill the first dedicated GPU I ever had. (Rage 128) on windows98

Then I got a something else (not ati, it probably began with n or 3) and it ran fine (it ran fine before, but I had decent draw distance, and no ghostly white worlds) on xp.

I still have it on disk, but no code, and I can't be bothered to find a code for it, so I got the steam version the other day because of the game remake thread...and now it doesn't run.

I can run the game fine, but as soon as any creatures are summoned, after the first, it hangs for a second, then just lags as if it is running at 0.1fps and runs in slow motion. Also several of the creatures just turn up invisible.

The specifications are (I have)
Processor: Pentium 300Mhz (non pentium i7 2800/4000+mh/z
Memory: 64MB (6144mb but sacrifice will only see 1024)
Graphics: DirectX (GTX 470, i'm not going to try SLi anything with this...nor need to, unless I can find some voodoos)
DirectX®: 7 (11)
Hard Drive: 650MB (much more obviously)
Sound: DirectSound (realtekHD brand onboard, spidif to external, m-audio soundcard blah blah not sure if they have DirectSound, but sound is no problem)

Lowest settings, and higest settings. No change.
Both modes at launch (direct 3d HAL/direct 3d T&L HAL)
Various compatability settings (it comes from stream with win2000)
Overclocked and no overclock CPU
Changing thing "extentions limit" parameter on the nvidia control panel

Still the same, just with various levels of old school.

I know it's sold on that-Games-site-which-pretended-tO-close-down-with-the-monks-and-pissed-off-people_Greatly place that apparently works on windows 7 64bit. But I have read people have problems with that version too, so probably they did nothing to it. It has no DRM outside of a key also.
The steam version appears to just be the fully patched to 3rd version of sacrifice with the serial preloaded, and the noCD style registry fix.

It's apparently a nvidia issue because of no longer including something. But noone seems to know anything and i've read it not working on AMD type cards too... The 64bit might be an issue, but again 32/64 people have the same problem.

Has anyone found a way to get this to work with a similar (nvidia GPU/64bit) system?
Or has any other ideas to get this to run? I really want to give in to the nostalgia beast...

Last edited:
Also the scapex editor that comes with sacrifice just turns out "error initializing graphics library" errors when run {on both Direct3D modes}.

The .err file that appears shows;

Setting up wad files...
Setting up graphics...
3D_D3D: Enumerating DirectDraw devices
3D_D3D: Found display device : display : Primary Display Driver
3D_D3D: Enumerating 3D devices for display
3D_D3D: Unusable 3D device : RGB Emulation : Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation
3D_D3D: Reason:
3D_D3D: No hardware rasterization
3D_D3D: Found 3D device : Direct3D HAL : Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
3D_D3D: Found 3D device : Direct3D T&L HAL : Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device
3D_D3D: MultiByteToWideChar() - ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER
DirectX error in CreateSurface Z: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED
DirectX error in CreateSurface Z: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED
DirectX error in CreateBuffers: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED
DirectX error in CreateBuffers: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED

If this might be related, i'm not sure. Definately looks like a DirectX issue.

Ahhhh, messiah and sacrifice, so many good memories, stunning graphics are really innovative gameplay, shiny were are you ???? :( :p they were bundled along with my asus geforce 3 card ( v8200 dlx ) I'm thinking of buying them again through gog.com since i can't find the discs after all those years , ( http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice ) they always try to make their game more playable in newer operating systems so i'd say it's worth a shot for you too. I'm thinking of buying MDK and evolva too btw but all i did back then was drooling over their screenshots in pc gaming magazines, what the hell, theyre only 6 bucks each :D :D

Sacrifice, my old flame :) Everything about this game - the originality, voice acting, graphics, gameplay, etc - brilliant. It had freaking terraforming vulcanoes 10 years ago!

You should have seen my friends' faces when I played this with my Geforce Annihilator 256 :D

The GoG place has a download of 563mb, and the steam version is 726 (must include the patches as the original came on a 700mb cd)! So they must have changed something (or used a rar file...) Hopefully it shall have some kind of fix, though i've heard worrying accounts against this. I may try when I get payed!

Shiny got merged with another studio by atari and become double helix games (yeah I know...), apart from dave perry (who had most the ideas) who left and made some advice thing for game creators, and then was making a game about mr jackson... Two other lead hiny people made Planet moon studios (Armed and dangerous, Giants, remake of after burner...) I miss all the shiny games! I remember when I was first getting in to PC gaming, all of their titles had something new and exciting about them! I have messiah and sacrifice infront of me...I haven't tried messiah on this computer, or since xp...I doubt it will go without problems...

I really want to get this up and running to see if I can get it running multiple monitor! I know there is a fix for it, but this would be great with some higher poly models and a few texture tweaks! So many shiny games are great candidates for remakes! Sacrifice, messiah MDK would translate well with modern graphics! I'd pay loads to play 1000 soul 16 player battles!!!

oh man sacrifice brings back memories. i loved that game, the graphics were amazing for the time.

Ahhhh, messiah and sacrifice, so many good memories, stunning graphics are really innovative gameplay, shiny were are you ???? :( :p they were bundled along with my asus geforce 3 card ( v8200 dlx ) I'm thinking of buying them again through gog.com since i can't find the discs after all those years , ( http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice ) they always try to make their game more playable in newer operating systems so i'd say it's worth a shot for you too. I'm thinking of buying MDK and evolva too btw but all i did back then was drooling over their screenshots in pc gaming magazines, what the hell, theyre only 6 bucks each :D :D

Giants Citizen Kabuto was another great game made by the same people.

oh man sacrifice brings back memories. i loved that game, the graphics were amazing for the time.

I know! and they were functional and had character! It wasn't like crysises 1000 tree jungle tree simulator 2. For some reason it had an epic feel about it. I can't think of another game since that has had the feeling of diving into huge battles, feeling that your just a small part of them. Plus the character designs were based on bosch. It just had a load of personality that other games miss.

Giants Citizen Kabuto was another great game made by the same people.

For some reason I could never get into giants. First of all I couldn't find a PC version, so got it on the PS2 for like $7 new... Then those three characters you started with just annoyed the hell out of me. I'm sure it got better later, but for some reason I lost it. I should give it another look at some point!

I got the GoG version. And it still doesnt work...Its exactly the same, as soon as some character model appears it takes ages to appear, and the game lags horribly. Why is there no 64bit fix for a 2000 game!?

Man it's really nice to see so many people still digging this. I'll have to throw this thread out to a few people for old times sake.

I should clear up a few things to make sure everyone gets the right amount of credit here =p.

As it was told to me, Sacrifice was kind of born because Martin Brownlow made a REALLY great tool for Michael "Sax" Piersson and Torgier Haglund's Messiah engine. Eric Flannum was brought on board as Lead Designer after all the great things he did at Blizzard (Hes currently game director for Guild Wars 2).

There were a lot of super talented people working on that game. I miss most of them dearly.

Giants was in development at the same time we were. They weren't the same people. Most of those guys were however, most of the former MDK team at Shiny (Martin was also on the team and was one of the few to stay in Newport Beach as I understand it. I believe he actually joined Planet Moon after he finally left Shiny.

That was my first game job and for the most part, it ruined the game industry for me. No company I went to after that lived up to how laid back and creative an environment DP had created for everyone there. That little place on Pacific Cost Highway truly was, one of a kind.

Respectfully,

Christian

It must have been great working in such an enviroment! It does seem like shiny cared about the games it made, I just wish they hadn't been pushed into doing film based non original work! They were such a mainstay of all my early PC gaming, and no game has yet, after 10 years had the same feeling and sense of engagement that sacrifice has/had (damnit why doesn't it work! I want triple screen!!). There hasn't been even a similar game, the closest I can think to a 3rd person strategy was bladestorm...but that lacked the spells and fantasy element. It would be viable in the modern marketplace, and already has a clean and unique identity. I only have felt that I've seen a tiny part of the world too...Damnit! You have to go bother him to make a sequel! Or even better a new franchise! Ill do all the character/level/ design and modelling for free (I suck as C++)! :D The problem with the game industry has always been that for some reason uniqueness doesn't always seem to mean marketablity. Boring millitary shooters and rehashes are what sells...There needs to be a new shiny (or the old shiny)

My desktop is a tribute! I need some hi res stratos and pyro photos for the other monitors!
108ioi0.png

Notice the wonderous interwebs...

Back