Sack Panic - Linux Vulnerabiltiy

Is this responsible disclosure? I know Linux is open anyway. But even a week could save a lot of grief.

I got a kernel update today. I guess this was why.

This is why I love Linux. Problem is found, problem is patched 3 hours later.

None of this Microsoft "next patch Tuesday" or Apple, 6 months later when they get around to their next OS update.

No software is immune to security issues. It's how they handle the patching that matters.

Edit:

Heck, looking at this, it looks like they even patched their EOL distributions 12.04 and 14.04. Bravo.

Heck, looking at this, it looks like they even patched their EOL distributions 12.04 and 14.04. Bravo.

Cool that Ubuntu took care of their older distros. Other nice thing about Linux even if they hadn't any decent system admin could rebuild the required kernel from source. Ubuntu rebuilding it is much better though. Agreed Bravo.

Cool that Ubuntu took care of their older distros. Other nice thing about Linux even if they hadn't any decent system admin could rebuild the required kernel from source. Ubuntu rebuilding it is much better though. Agreed Bravo.

Hell try doing a sysctl command in windows to mitigate the problem until they patch it lol.

This is a bad bug but overall the brouhaha over it is all about clickbait headlines.

Fast patching and an easy to do mitigation. Gotta love it.

Reactions: ChadD
like this

Yeah, looking at it now, that is for the ESM versions of 12.04 and 14.04 only. These are apparently paid Extended Security Maintenance for enterprise users who are stuck on these older releases.

Back