Sabrent Rocket (phison e12 pcie-3) drives on sale at Amazon

Hmm. Pick up 4 of the 1TB to use in my x299 system? Maybe, maybe I will...

Maybe I should use my Gift card on that instead was going to get a WD. Maybe just get the 1 TB so I can have X7 SSDs and one HDD.

Recommend the Micro Center Inland drivers, as they are Phison e18 drives with a highly reduced nanometer processing build and are dirt cheap while supporting PCI-express 4.0

Recommend the Micro Center Inland drivers, as they are Phison e18 drives with a highly reduced nanometer processing build and are dirt cheap while supporting PCI-express 4.0
For those unfarmiliar with Inland and Microcenter, they have a lot of sub tiers. The PCI-E 4 drives are "performance" and "performance plus" drives.

Reviews say they tend to overheat even with heatsinks or other cooling options placed on them. Platinum ones.

Reviews say they tend to overheat even with heatsinks or other cooling options placed on them. Platinum ones.
Do you have links to any of these reviews? The inland drives are just Phison reference drives typically. Sabrent, Pioneer, and many others often take these reference designs, adjust the firmware to display their brand and model number, and viola you have a "new" drive on the market.

Hmm, I haven't seen any Inland Platinum-branded Gen4x4 drives yet; the current ones that I'm aware of are "Performance" which are E16 and "Performance Plus" which are E18. I have the E16 version in 2TB and it's been fine thermally with the NVMe heatsink that's built into the motherboard. Haven't had thermal issues with any of the numerous E12-based PCIe 3.0x4 "Premium" and "Platinum" SSD's I have either. And that's with transferring 100's of GB of video around on the regular for projects. I just looked around the web and reviewers do mention them running hot during an extended synthetic benchmark with no heatsink but I'm not familiar with general issues with the Inland drives, and I try to keep up on those 'cause I keep buying more of them.

The rocket appears to be one of the models where the manufacturer has swapped out parts in later revisions resulting in a reduction in performance. I ended up going with other options, ultimately, because finding that out didn't sit well with me. Even though it appears with supply chain issues to be a pretty common MO for companies now

Do you have links to any of these reviews? The inland drives are just Phison reference drives typically. Sabrent, Pioneer, and many others often take these reference designs, adjust the firmware to display their brand and model number, and viola you have a "new" drive on the market.
On Amazon, some reviews under product mentions they overheat

On Amazon, some reviews under product mentions they overheat
Went back and read your comment. The platinum is just one SKU. It could be there was a design issue with that reference model. But Inland has many of Phison's (and other's I assume) reference designs. Pro, Premium, etc.

Hmm, I haven't seen any Inland Platinum-branded Gen4x4 drives yet; the current ones that I'm aware of are "Performance" which are E16 and "Performance Plus" which are E18. I have the E16 version in 2TB and it's been fine thermally with the NVMe heatsink that's built into the motherboard. Haven't had thermal issues with any of the numerous E12-based PCIe 3.0x4 "Premium" and "Platinum" SSD's I have either. And that's with transferring 100's of GB of video around on the regular for projects. I just looked around the web and reviewers do mention them running hot during an extended synthetic benchmark with no heatsink but I'm not familiar with general issues with the Inland drives, and I try to keep up on those 'cause I keep buying more of them.

I had a 2TB Inland Premium drive which was the E12S controller while the 1TB had the regular E12. Unless I misremember, the "S" had half of the DRAM the regular E12 had. I used it as my daily driver for a long time until I got the 980 Pro in my system now.

I had a 2TB Inland Premium drive which was the E12S controller while the 1TB had the regular E12. Unless I misremember, the "S" had half of the DRAM the regular E12 had. I used it as my daily driver for a long time until I got the 980 Pro in my system now.
I have an odd ball Pioneer branded E12 2TB I got off Amazon in my gaming desktop. Gen3 or not, It's faster than I need it to be.

Back